tab limit reached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I dont understand about the tab limit

What don't you understand? Why there is a limit? The software developers had to set some limit on the number of tabbed windows that could be open...they chose a total of 6 windows. How to delete tabs? That has been discussed several times in previous posts.

The reason that tabbed windows shows up is controlled by the website developer. In some cases, when you click on a link, the next webpage is downloaded and it replaces the one in your current tabbed window...you still only have one tabbed window. On other websites, clicking on a link forces another tabbed window to open...this will happen on your phone or even if you are on a full computer using the browser. To close this new tabbed window, you must go up and click on the "X" on the tab. Thus, the same thing on the phone...you must find the other tabbed windows and tap the "X" to close it.

I've found that when on the phone with these tabbed windows, using the back arrow (one of the four buttons along the bottom of the phone front face) will automatically close the tabbed window I was looking at. Don't use the back arrow on the website...try the back arrow on the phone.

Kurt

AlexPo11

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Is there any way to clear the open tabs without using the soft keys at the bottom of the device? I have an HTC Rezound, and my soft keys stopped working. I downloaded the Smart Taskbar 2.0, and I can get around on my phone again. Except when I'm in the web browser, I don't see the taskbar. And right now, for instance, we have several inches of snow falling, I want to open a traffic camera page to see what the road conditions look like, and I'm getting the "Tab Limit Reached. Can't Open A New Tab Until You Close One" error. Is there any way to close these tabs without the usual method / ways that have already been mentioned previously in this thread? Thanks in advance.

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to clear the open tabs without using the soft keys at the bottom of the device?

I just tried to do that on my Vivid. I cannot find anyway to close the tabs without the soft keys. What about turning the phone completely off and back on? Surely, the phone won't remember all the tabs being open. What about removing the battery for 10-15 seconds?

Some websites open links in new tabs, while others don't...this is based upon the programmer's decision (I think). I just noticed that on the site which typically opens in a new tab for me, if I long press on the link, I get options to either Open or Open in a New Tab. This then allows me to defeat the website's instructions to open in a new tab, but just go to the new URL. I can then navigate back to the original page using the back arrow at the top left of the browser. This might be something to do in the future if you don't have soft keys to work with.

Kurt in S.A.

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I read how to close out a tab if you have something bookmarked. But what if you don't have something bookmarked?

Tabs and bookmarks are different things in my book. Bookmarks are your favorites...one click takes you to that particular website. If you decide to go to another bookmark, the first website is replaced with the new one...no tabs are created. Tabs or additional websites are created when you are viewing one website and you click on a link within that website. Due to the software coding of that website, your browser opens up another tabbed window. Sometimes the coding on the website just replaces the current website with the new one.

I'm sure you have seen this type of thing on the internet when using a desktop or laptop computer. If using something like Internet Explorer, additional tabs will be opened up across the top of the screen. It simply a matter of clicking on the "x" to close that tab. That's the same thing on the Vivid.

Kurt

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Understanding

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I was people request on the issue, I cannot say that I don't have the same problem, but feel bad when I see some, when trying to help, do not consider the slowness of others in terms of understanding the screenshot, or an explanation.
All I am asking here is that we please use our patience when assisting other people, especially people we don't know their back ground, intellectual level...

Thank you for not being tough with wise words on other people.

Best regards,

Understanding.

oferdesade

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
no need for a pissy fit. some people have a different version of the internet browser without the 4 lines and only the button to open all windows. it doesnt. i had no choice but to go into the app from settings, clear everything clearable and force stop the app. i guess what we'll have to do until we're upgraded to the beautiful black&white version in the pix is to close every tab manually after we open it and not to go beyond 1.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For those of you who are still asking about browser tab limits--please read through this thread first. But the short answer is that any browser should have a tab management button. It's usually a square with a number inside it, next to the URL bar. Tap it, and you'll see all of your open tabs. Close the tabs by either swiping them away, or tapping the associated "X" at the upper corner or the tab.

Due to the immense volume of empty posts in this thread (i.e., users only quoting other people without adding anything else, which is highly suspicious for bot behavior), I am closing it. The correct answers are there--please read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000