Root? Thinking of rooting my vivid, any thoughts?

daddy69

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Anybody got any suggestions on if I should? If so what's a good one to use?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
What would you recommend to someone like me who is computer savvy (Windows), but has never rooted an Android phone (I didn't even jail break my iPhone)?

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Yes, I have a Vivid (AT&T). I don't care about invalidating my warranty, only that there's a way back if things get tricky. ;)

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
A quiz? So soon? Lol.

My limited understanding is that it's basically the OS, right? When I updated to ICS, I downloaded the RUU from HTC's site and installed that from my PC.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha, yes. But let's say you accidentally brick your phone. All you do is relock your bootloader and run it and your phone will be fine.

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, OK, cool. I've read these horror posts about "hard brick" and "soft brick," so I feared there was always the possibility of totally FUBARing the phone. But if it's like restoring an image to get a PC working again, that's fine.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
So, if you're phone bricks, make sure your bootloader is locked and run the RUU. And if you have a recovery and a backup, you could flash that. Yes, its pretty much like an image for a PC. Do you have a recovery on your phone yet?

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
No. The only thing I've done is the upgrade (this is my first Android phone, only a few months old). Just started doing some reading, that's about it. I'm being overly cautious because this is my only phone (no landline), so, ya know, don't wanna screw anything up because I feel like experimenting. ;)

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I experimented mine twice from secret experiments, as long as you have the RUU Holiday and are able to run it from your PC.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
No problems, I pretty much know all about this phone, as I have modded it myself.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

daddy69

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
How do I get the hansoon all in one tool kit? Where do I find the bootloader to do a back up? I am such an amature but would love to really run this phone. I have been doing some research and want to overclock my phone and get rid of those annoying permanent apps. I have the at&t vivid with the ICS.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I overclocked my Vivid to 1.89 GHz dual core on my phone, so I freaking love it! Okay, to get the All-In-One Toolkit, you're gonna have to go to XDA Developers and search for it. It shouldn't be hard to find, and its got an easy to understand UI, so all you have to do is pick a command, hit run, and it does the command for you. :)

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
And its not a bootloader that does a backup, its the RECOVERY that backs up your system. Don't worry, I'm not gonna flame an amateur, all right? But you need to unlock your bootloader to flash a recovery, and after you unlock your bootloader, since you're a beginner, flash the ClockWork Mod, even though it says GingerBread, its easy to use. But if you wanna practice the advance one, just flash WildChild's Recovery (WCX) and use that.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Just for a little bonus, here are screenshots of my phone: The first image is what I have set my phone to run and the second image is what it is the max. ;-)

2silee4u

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty new to the rooting scene myself. I am an IT guy with a strong windows background myself just like bruce7373. I've seen the videos for the vivid running wcx 3.6 on youtube, but how would I even start the process of getting that on my phone? I have the latest all in one kit 2.2. I think I successfully unlocked my bootloader. It wiped out my phone thats for sure. I also tried going to their website, but it appears their registration is closed. I'm lost lol

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty new to the rooting scene myself. I am an IT guy with a strong windows background myself just like bruce7373. I've seen the videos for the vivid running wcx 3.6 on youtube, but how would I even start the process of getting that on my phone? I have the latest all in one kit 2.2. I think I successfully unlocked my bootloader. It wiped out my phone thats for sure. I also tried going to their website, but it appears their registration is closed. I'm lost lol

Looks like we're in the same boat. I've seen the WCX video onYouTube and it does make rooting even more tempting. How did you unlock the Vivid? I went to htcdev.com to use their tool, but it sure seems like an involved process. There's gotta be a simpler way. :D

I found this concerning the Vivid and the ClockworkMod recovery you might find useful:

http://www.androidauthority.com/vivid-android-4-0-3-root-clockworkmod-recovery-97178/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC