Cracked/Chipped screen issue

Joke Insurance

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

About a month ago, the screen on my HTC Vivid cracked in a few places after I carelessly left it on the edge of my bathroom sink, and it ultimately fell. I decided that I wanted to wait it out and not get the screen replaced just yet.

Now about a two weeks ago, I went out to a bar and a drank a good amount of alcohol. During the night, I had reached into my pocket to get out of my phone but seeing where I was at the time, I dropped the phone. The end result was further damanged the phone. Here are some photos that were taken a few days after:

cellpic1.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

I was wondering how I can/should go about getting the screen replaced? My phone provider is AT&T so should I head to the AT&T store that I bought it at so they can replace it? If so, how much would they charge me? I also heard that I can buy a screen myself and do the replacement by myself with the help of some tutorials that are on the internet. Or could I buy the screen myself then ask the employees at the AT&T store to replace it?

As for other other portions of the phone that are damaged, I think it would be safe to assume that I can't fix those and a professional will have to replace those damaged areas.

And last time that I checked I never put a warranty on my phone.

Very neglectful overall, right? Haha. I'll definitely be learning from my mistakes that I made here.

I am not sure which route to take. What I am looking for is both the fastest and most affordable route possible. If you can help me out, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Don't you also want to consider an option that has the higher chance of being successful? You just asked for cheap and fastest...that means you buy the parts and use the Internet tutorials to finish the job. IMO more than likely something else will happen or go wrong and then you're out even more dough and time. I'd find out the cost of the AT&T service people fixing it and see if you can stomach that.

Kurt

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yikes maybe I do want a case after all. I dropped my Aria at a Home Depot (concrete floor) and not a scratch. Back and battery flew off but were fine. Don't really want a case but don't want this either :(

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Unless AT&T dropped the phone to a lower tier, it's $200 to replace it WITH WARRANTY. Without, it was a $700 phone last I checked (admittedly, it's been a while since I last looked). The in-store guys aren't techs, they're salesmen. Good luck explaining what you need;they'll likely just try to push the latest from Apple on you.

So as for internet parts and repairs, I can't speak much to that, but I do know you have to come in from the back, so the glass is actually the deepest-in part. There are a few ribbon cables between you and that glass, as well as small screws, small connectors, etc. If you're handy with this kind of repair, shouldn't be anything too tough. If not, you're probably better off just getting a case for it like it is and never drop it again. I'm assuming that since it still turns on, it still works?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I took apart my Vivid, and now, let's just say...internet tutorials didn't help...I'm now Vividless for now. I will get another one soon. In my opinion, have soneone you know do it who actually knows how to, because believe me, you start from the back of the phone and keep digging. Or call AT&T or contact HTC about repairs, although it's cheaper to take it to a business to do it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams