Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Update?

With you now. Interesting- the measure I took to correct a major bug may have saved me from losing even more control over my phone.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

Hopefully they applied more attention to detail to the update than to the page describing it. The screen shot shows Gingerbread's menu and they list the old version number...and then later the updated one. Some report a 'successful' update with no version change, some a version change....weird.....

--------------------------------------
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

Posted on the at&t forum by a 'community manager': "Hey folks - effective October 10, 2012, the HTC Vivid update has been put on hold while HTC works to optimize the update for customers.

Please stay tuned to this thread for updates. "

Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

Maybe this is why they didn't know anything about the Vivid update at the AT&T store. He checked the phone in the usual manner and there wasn't an update. He did mention past situations where updates didn't work so well...something about the Skyrocket phone. Anyway, sounds like we'll get the "better/faster" version in the future, huh?

Kurt

I sure hope so!

Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vividrich View Post
    Posted on the at&t forum by a 'community manager': "Hey folks - effective October 10, 2012, the HTC Vivid update has been put on hold while HTC works to optimize the update for customers.

Please stay tuned to this thread for updates. "
    Isn't that interesting?

I downloaded it when it because available and haven't noticed any issues with it at all.

And I'm not rooted either. I wouldn't mind it just to get rid of all the AT&T bloatware.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're even bothering, especially with the One VX just announced, that's the third in the series on at&t...always seemed that the Vivid kinda got lost in the shuffle. I'm happy they are doing it (as long as they get it right) but a bit surprised.

Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

-_- Rooting....worked for me, and it would work IF YOU FLASHED A CUSTOM ROM!!! As for those who are rooted and tried to update but can't, it's because it only installs if you're not rooted. If you are, it detects it and does not install because it would crash the phone. Jeez.

Sent from an Android using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.

The update was finally pushed through for me today so I bit the bullet and applied it (I'm not rooted so I wasn't too concerned). All is well, but I haven't noticed any changes.

Just got mine too. No issues. It changed my skin back to default, no other settings changes. Haven't noticed anything else.

Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

If anyone notices anything different please post. They say it improves 'sensor performance' which is nice and vague. Going to try the auto brightness again, always thought it was too...active....compared to my old aria.

Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

I got this update pushed out to my phone last night, and I finally caved and let the update run around 0100 this morning. I woke up a few hours later to find my phone completely unresponsive. It doesn't seem to want to power on at all and plugging it in doesn't even show a charging indicator.

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Now that just scared me. Especially since they are forcing it to my phone.

FYI: for those running Juice Defender, be sure to backup your settings before you update. I just noticed JD loses them in the process. Fortunately my last backup was done before I upgraded so I could restore, but some others might not be so lucky.

Interesting! Mine was indeed back to balanced.

Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

Mess up rooted phone bad. Just an FYI

Quote Originally Posted by vividrich View Post
    Interesting! Mine was indeed back to balanced.

I couldn't find the backup file. Do you know where it's kept or if there's any way to choose a location on ext_sd?

Quote Originally Posted by tazzz013 View Post
    Mess up rooted phone bad. Just an FYI
    Oi, what an understatement. They give persistent popups until you update. If you're rooted, this is what to expect:

Phone will reboot. On reboot, it'll go to a black screen and briefly flash a graphic of an Android being upgraded. He's standing, he's happy, and he's got a glowing box in his chest compartment. Then, it all changes. Suddenly, he's on his back. His eyes are dead. And he's got a big red exclamation coming out of his chest compartment. Go ahead - pull your battery. I'll wait.

Okay, battery back in, reboot your phone. I'll wait on your "Android is Upgrading" dialog to rebuild your Dalvik cache. That done? Great. Go ahead and open your lock screen and head to settings. I want to see if the upgrade somehow went, or if you can try again. Oh, what's that? The phone just rebooted on its own? And the happy Android just died again? Welcome to a recursive loop.

So, the question is, how to fix it? I'd read in this thread previously that a rooted phone might have problems with the upgrade but I didn't expect it to brick the damn phone. I've tried using the recovery option on the phone (CW recovery), and I've tried to "fix permissions" - none of that jazz worked. I guess I'll go to HTC's site and re-download the driver for the phone to see if I can PC/USB my way back to having a usable device.

Oh, and don't bother with AT&T. The guy at the local store gave me a card for a "third party" business that "deals with that kind of thing", and told me AT&T had no liability since it's not AT&T's software. Yes, he said this after I told him "the OTA update pushed out by AT&T soft bricked my phone". I figured, since he was young-ish and seemed to be competent, this lingo would be understood. Guess not. He also gave me the customer service number ("611"; that's hard to remember, but he gave it to me 3 times) - Customer Service was very polite, but asked questions like, "Can you make a call?" and "How many bars of signal do you have?" This ingenious troubleshooting came after I explained the situation - phone reboots on its own, locks up, waits for me to pull the battery. "How many bars of signal? Must be over 9,000 because the awesomeness rocked this poor dead android to Hell and back."

Oi vey. Troubleshooting advice would be most welcome.

AT&T's site is garbage - in the afforementioned link describing the update, AT&T has a broken link for HTC's website for manual installs. Here's the working one - note the "success!" screenshot does show the correct update version (3.26.502.56.71ORD):
    HTC Vivid
    File size is 444MB, plus you've gotta have HTC Sync installed on your PC. Haven't found it yet

This forum on my PC is killing me. Edit Post doesn't work - just spins and spins. Not my day for technology, I guess.
    Direct link to "HTC Sync for HTC Vivid" - 149MB

The screen shots on the at&t site also are incorrect. Re: Juice Defender I didn't have a backup. But I had very little customised so, not a big concern. I did hold my breath a few times as the update went through its paces but had no issues and don't really notice much of a difference, but also don't know what to look for...

Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

Seems like maybe I'm the only one here that got stuck? Well, anyway, the two links I posted above don't work. Not because they're broken or because the software is non-functional - no, they don't work because where I'm at right now, I can't boot the phone yet the above software requires you to have your phone booted and switched from "Charge Only" to "PC Sync" mode. Still messing with it, because I don't feel like paying someone else to do what I should be able to do on my own, and for something that was ultimately caused by AT&T (note earlier in this thread I said I was content with not upgrading; 2 days of AT&T nagging me every 4 or 8 hours later, I caved).

Boot Loop Fix for Rooted HTC Vivid Phones

Grrr... Now I've got another unnecessary factory reset to settle in with. Just goes to show ya - Google first, modify second. The links above turn out to be useless, anyway - the 444MB file is just the ICS update 3.26.502.56710RD from ~March. The recent update is a 13MB firmware patch at 3.26.502.56_R23. AT&T wasn't incredibly clear on that, but in retrospect, it's so clear.

Since I got home from work, I have spent all night on this. Hope my mini-diary here saves someone - anyone - else from unnecessarily frakking up their phone.

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Is there any real noticable difference? I haven't been able to tell.

I haven't either...

Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast