Disappearing apps?

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok this is weird. I rebooted after a battery swap, and several apps on my phone are gone. All apps are installed on the phone, not the card. What the heck? One is a game I pretty much play daily, that's how I know it just happened. The shortcut is in the homescreen folder, but no icon. Perplexed....

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok this is weird. I rebooted after a battery swap, and several apps on my phone are gone. All apps are installed on the phone, not the card. What the heck? One is a game I pretty much play daily, that's how I know it just happened. The shortcut is in the homescreen folder, but no icon. Perplexed....

Custom battery, by any chance?

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Nope, stock HTC vivid battery. Swap them out every other day or so.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope, stock HTC vivid battery. Swap them out every other day or so.

By the sounds of it then, the dalvik-cache for the apps has been deleted. Hmm...reinstalling a missing app should restore it to the settings you had it set to with data intact.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yup, reinstalling did the trick and the settings were there; the old shortcut worked also but there was no actual icon so I added a new shortcut. Nice that it keeps the data but a bit disturbing that it happens at all...

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup, reinstalling did the trick and the settings were there; the old shortcut worked also but there was no actual icon so I added a new shortcut. Nice that it keeps the data but a bit disturbing that it happens at all...

Eh, maybe it's the ROM you have, maybe it "hiccupped", so to speak, and it just wiped the Dalvik-cache.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That's why it's disturbing, I'm stock ;) At least the data stays so it's merely an annoyance.

cajunlibra

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I"ve been encountering this for a while myself. I have the Epic 4g Touch. I'm currently running Paranoid Android 2.54 but this would happen fairly regularly when I was on the rooted Stock ROM. It's a good thing I have TiB but it's really irritating that apps just disappear. I used the xda app earlier today and it got removed for some reason. I'm using the stock battery as well. What gives?

jsimpson66

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I've had the same issue on my Toshiba Thrive for some time now. Pretty much since the update to ICS. Have not had time to investigate the issue yet, but thought it had something to do with having two separate Gmail accounts set up on it. Once the semester is over I'm going to investigate further.

???????????
Motorola Razr Maxx, Toshiba Thrive AT100
Sent from my Thrive using Android Central Forums.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
SOB did it again, funny thing is it wiped out my Temple Run data, but left the apps intact. I had just fully upgraded all my power ups too. Several other apps were taken out but data preserved on all of them. #*#)*&!!!!!

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
SOB did it again, funny thing is it wiped out my Temple Run data, but left the apps intact. I had just fully upgraded all my power ups too. Several other apps were taken out but data preserved on all of them. #*#)*&!!!!!

If you're stock, the wiping of Dalvik-cache at each shutdown could cause issues. If you're modded, that's odd.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yup, stock. Highly annoying. I believe I read the the Rezound did the same thing but HTC released an update that eliminated that behavior. Easy enough to reinstall apps but losing the data is a bummer.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup, stock. Highly annoying. I believe I read the the Rezound did the same thing but HTC released an update that eliminated that behavior. Easy enough to reinstall apps but losing the data is a bummer.

Use a data backup app?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
No, can you recommend a good one?

I hardly game on my Vivid, and there's one at stock on my TF300T, so I haven't had the need to look for one. But I will look in the Play Store for you, I'll report back.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums