Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC Vivid location services not working

I got my HTC Vivid about 3 weeks ago. A few days ago I started noticing my weather widget not updating by itself, but only updates after I tap on it and enter the app. Today, while at school, i noticed my location has been changed to Madison; I live on Guam. (first time weather widget showed the wrong location) I browsed through forums and searched for a solution to my problem and tried almost everything. I came across a method suggesting I find the weather provider application and delete the data from it. I did so and after my weather widget said no location available. Thinking this wasn't just the weather widget, I checked my google maps and it could not locate my location either; I also turned GPS on to see. Anyways, my question is what should I do and do you guys know how to fix this? Thank you guys!

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Default Re: HTC Vivid location services not working

Quote Originally Posted by shaoliao View Post
    I got my HTC Vivid about 3 weeks ago. A few days ago I started noticing my weather widget not updating by itself, but only updates after I tap on it and enter the app. Today, while at school, i noticed my location has been changed to Madison; I live on Guam. (first time weather widget showed the wrong location) I browsed through forums and searched for a solution to my problem and tried almost everything. I came across a method suggesting I find the weather provider application and delete the data from it. I did so and after my weather widget said no location available. Thinking this wasn't just the weather widget, I checked my google maps and it could not locate my location either; I also turned GPS on to see. Anyways, my question is what should I do and do you guys know how to fix this? Thank you guys!
    Did you wipe the data for Gaaps itself?
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.

If I'm not mistaken, Location Services determines your location based on the ISP you're connected to... Have you tried checking the geographic origin for your IP address?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

I was having this issue with my Vivid.

My phone would attempt to obtain an IP address and fail over and over. I tried rebooting and resetting everything based on the worthless suggestions here and nothing changed, so I started thinking for myself.

I knew AT&T would likely figure out a simple way to toggle unsuspecting users to back to their data usage to charge them more if possible based on the limits they now have on most calling plans, so I approached it from that angle...

I'm now connected to my network with no help from this forum.

What I figured out is that if I go into my phone's main SETTINGS, and disconnect (turn off) my MOBILE NETWORK (that's the AT&T data that I would like to keep from using when I am at home) and then turn ON the Wi-Fi function, making sure my network has been found and my password is entered correctly.... and *****BAM!!!*****

The little Wi-Fi icon then comes to life at the top of my phone's main screen and I am surfing the web across my network. YAY!!!!

All people have to do is turn off the WiFi to conserve battery power when they leave the house and turn the MOBILE NETWORK back on so they can communicate when they are out and about.

Now why am I the only one to find this solution and post it here?????

SERIOUSLY???? LOL

Why are you turning off the mobile network? You don't need to do that to switch to wifi.

Every once in a while my phone will refuse to update the location. Restarting it is the only way I get it back. Nothing to do with it being on wifi or not.

Posted from my Nexus 7 via Android Central App
    --------------------------------------
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by okimar View Post
    I was having this issue with my Vivid.

My phone would attempt to obtain an IP address and fail over and over. I tried rebooting and resetting everything based on the worthless suggestions here and nothing changed, so I started thinking for myself.

I knew AT&T would likely figure out a simple way to toggle unsuspecting users to back to their data usage to charge them more if possible based on the limits they now have on most calling plans, so I approached it from that angle...

I'm now connected to my network with no help from this forum.

What I figured out is that if I go into my phone's main SETTINGS, and disconnect (turn off) my MOBILE NETWORK (that's the AT&T data that I would like to keep from using when I am at home) and then turn ON the Wi-Fi function, making sure my network has been found and my password is entered correctly.... and *****BAM!!!*****

The little Wi-Fi icon then comes to life at the top of my phone's main screen and I am surfing the web across my network. YAY!!!!

All people have to do is turn off the WiFi to conserve battery power when they leave the house and turn the MOBILE NETWORK back on so they can communicate when they are out and about.

Now why am I the only one to find this solution and post it here?????

SERIOUSLY???? LOL
    You want to give a condescending post, here's one back:

If you really think that's AT&T's plan, you need to take off that tinfoil hat. This isn't Verizon.

Now, I've had that issue back, but after fixing the scripts myself, it's fine again. But I can leave my 4G LTE on and still walk into my house with WiFi. Turn on my WiFi and leave my data on and tada! a working WiFi connection. So, before you swing and try to act like you know all and that we're stupid like you imply, check your priorities. So you found a solution that worked for you. Great. Doesn't mean that it works for all. You could have been the lucky one to have that bug. I know between the 2 Vivids I own, my primary has a CPU defect that refuses it to go higher than 1566 MHz and if you press on the screen a bit too hard, discoloration happens. The 2nd one works just fine, I can over clock it just fine to 17XX MHz.

Good, you figured it out. Here's a clap. clap

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.