HTC Vivid 4.0.3 root help

pspidey8

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
('fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file). thats the message i get whenever i put in the command prompt

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
('fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file). thats the message i get whenever i put in the command prompt

That doesn't answer my question, but...what OS are you using?

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

pspidey8

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
i finally figured it out, did the flash zip & it says install complete enjoy! the problem is i still have the att apps & i still cant get rid of em

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
i finally figured it out, did the flash zip & it says install complete enjoy! the problem is i still have the att apps & i still cant get rid of em

That's because you need a root uninstaller. That, will uninstall the apps for you. Happy holidays, everyone.

http://db.tt/hz38kgkW

Take what you need, or take all. It doesn't matter. The Root Uninstaller is in that folder. Use it, and delete whatever apps you don't want EXCEPT, the Google Apps. Shall I compile a list of safe apps to uninstall?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

And another note: you use the Root Uninstaller app and you decide on what apps to uninstall.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll make the list in a bit, I'm working on my car while the sun's still up. I have to take apart the RUU as well.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I could not rip the RUU off yesterday apparently, so this is based off of memory.

DO NOT REMOVE THESE (Will cause Force Closes and/or errors):

Talk
Sense
Play Store
GMail
(I know there are others, but those are the danger ones for sure.)

Have not tested yet on removing:

Apps SAFE TO REMOVE:

Adobe Reader
Calculator
Flashlight
FM Radio
Friend Stream (Widgets too)
Twitter (Peep, Twitter and widgets too)
Flickr
LinkedIn
Stocks (App and widgets)
MOG Music
Amazon
Amazon MP3
Setup
Teeter
And others...

That's all I remember, its been a while since I've been on stock, like... 6+ months ago.

If others want to add to the list, feel free to.

Brandon Mueller

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I ran into a problem and quickly found the solution. the superuser zip is different depending on the type of processor you have. You need to google your phone's CPU brand. Then copy/ paste the exact name to google and check to see if is either x86 or ARM CPU. Then go to this website below to choose the respective super user zip file. Other then this, the step-by-step guide was simple and easy to understand. I am a beginner Dev, and have been rooting devices and jailbreaking devices for a while now.

Oh, the point at which I discovered the issue was where the guide asks you to flash over the superuser zip through the recovery. YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO WHETHER IT SAY INSTALLATION COMPLETE OR IF IT SAYS INSTALLATION ABORTED!!!! Use the USB option from the recovery main menu to mount the external SD card to the computer to put the correct superuser zip file. Then retry the flashing process.

***WEBSITE LINK***

Superuser

racarock

May 1, 2013
Visit site
hey man it works , but only if you use the unlockroot brow, i followed all your instructions and doesn?t work , but later i use unlockroot and it works, and never worked by this way before, thanks

Guthriethomas

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey im am having a problem i did everything But it seem's that i am still unable to tether/ WI-FI Hot spot?? Is Rooting no going to fix this? Keeps telling me " To enable mobile hotspot on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611" BS Any help? I installed everything and everything said it was good to go. Also Im not seeing a SuperUser App anywhere?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Rooting won't give you WiFi Hotspot capability, rooting gives you SuperUser access. As for everything, what did you do? Usually, ROMs have the WiFi Hotspot and Tethering unlocked, so you should look into those.

There is a way to edit a file on the phone to manually change it, but I do t remember which file it is.

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Two options: Flash a custom ROM, or look for the guide on how to change a simple system file. I'll look for the guide in a moment for you to change the system file to allow you to use the WiFi hotspot capability.

KDeSimini

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
All right, the way I rooted my Vivid. No issues whatsoever.

STARTING FROM SCRATCH

1) Gather all these files:

HTC Drivers: http://db.tt/Pi0WLxUf

Fastboot Folder: http://db.tt/2Zg3UeCw

SuperUser Zip File: http://db.tt/n4tr8lwi

Recovery: http://db.tt/oJNL1hPs

(WildChild, if you see this and wish for me to take down the link to your custom recovery, please PM me. And to others, please alert him, I don't want to be in trouble is all.)

2) Install the HTC drivers, place the Fastboot folder on your desktop for easeness.

3) Backup your apps, contacts, text messages, and anything else you want to keep, because later, you're gonna have to unlock your bootloader (shown later).

4) Unlock your bootloader. Now, in order to flash a custom recovery, backup your ROM, etc., you need to have an unlocked bootloader. You can do this at: Welcome to HTCdev and select Unlock Bootloader. You need to register, so just make an account real quick and you're good to go. Select the HTC Vivid and follow the instructions. NOTE: UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER WILL FACTORY RESET YOUR DEVICE, THAT'S WHY I RECOMMENDED BACKING UP WHAT YOU PLANNED TO KEEP.

5) Place the SuperUser zip file on your SD card.

ALREADY UNLOCKED THE BOOTLOADER

All right, you made it this far, why stop now? Time to flash that custom recovery and root your phone! You can mod it later, I'll explain later. All right, so now, place your phone into Fastboot mode by holding the Volume Down and Power button until you see the HBOOT screen. From there, select FASTBOOT, and connect your device to your PC. Confirm it says FASTBOOT USB in the red banner. Let's do this!

1) Place the downloaded recovery [wcxrecovery.img] inside of the Fastboot command folder.

2) Open a command prompt in that directory and type the following command exactly as I type it.

fastboot flash recovery "wcxrecovery.img"

And then hit Enter. You should notice a bar in the top right of the screen going up. That's normal. Wait for the command prompt to tell you that its finished, then disconnect your device from the computer.

3) Exit out of the Fastboot menu and navigate to the RECOVERY and press the Power button to enter. You'll now see options to flash, wipe, etc. Using the Volume buttons, go to "flash zip menu", locate where you placed the zip file, press Power to flash it, and voila! Your phone is rooted after it says complete! Just reboot your phone and enjoy root access! Thank me if I helped! :D

Here is what the recovery will look like:

Thank you so much for this. I bricked my other vivid trying to follow multiple guides because they all sucked. I finally got it rooted! Thank you so much!

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
the thing is, you don't need to download the SuperUser file. WC has it in the "developer menu" on the recovery itself..

I never messed with it, but I'm glad you found that out. I guess it's always good to have a physical zip to flash as well. :)

Hot Mocha

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
After following your directions i'm getting this message... can someone help me please? Thanks..
c:\FASTBOOT>fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.img
sending 'recovery' (7724 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.466s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 3.292s

Hot Mocha

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
After following your directions i'm getting this message... can someone help me please? Thanks..
OKAY [ 1.466s]
writing 'recovery'...

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
OKAY [ 1.466s]
writing 'recovery'...

Bootloader is unlocked, correct?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads