HTC vivid not getting jellybean, nor "kitkat"

DCBamBam

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering since my and my wife's HTC vivid didn't get jellybean. I was hoping that although we missed the JB update, we would in fact see the new Kitkat update, which is going to be released soon. I also did research on it n seen , somewhere that Google will be tryin to send it out to all phones because 4.1-4.2 weren't much of any difference. However that was probably someones opinion not fact. So any idea what going to happen wit HTC vivid getting android kitkat?

Posted via Android Central App

DCBamBam

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Smh bro thats wat is really making me upset with HTC I bought my wife a vivid too n hope to see us get an update

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that since the Vivid didn't get Jellybean, I really doubt it will get KitKat. It's not just about the software update...the software has to work with the hardware that's on the phone. I suspect the Vivid is just too old in terms of hardware so it would probably have too many problems/glitches to be worthwhile. I, too, wish I could have at least upgraded to JB. Oh well...

Kurt

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Not getting KitKat. But I'll check HTC's website. But I don't want to relock my bootloader when I can probably flash KitKat myself. I will try to build it eventually.

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

DCBamBam

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
That would be awesome if u could help me with mines so I could do my wife's

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a rookie when it comes to building, so I'll be making a private project to build my own ROM for my Vivid for now. Eventually, if it boots and I think it's ready for testing, I'd release it, but for now, I'll wait. You need help modding yours and your wife's phone? I'm your guy! :D

AppleD34

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC vivid not getting jellybean, nor "kitkat"

i cant install any roms on my vivid its rooted running lasest twrp but ever damn time i flash some rom and reboot i get stuck in the HTC bootloop, and its driving me nuts

- - - Updated - - -

if someone could help that would fantastic

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC vivid not getting jellybean, nor "kitkat"

i cant install any roms on my vivid its rooted running lasest twrp but ever damn time i flash some rom and reboot i get stuck in the HTC bootloop, and its driving me nuts

- - - Updated - - -

if someone could help that would fantastic

1) TWRP recovery has a decent amount of issues for the Vivid.

2) Did you flash the boot.img if you're S-ON?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

DCBamBam

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
That is where I stuck until I flashed boot.img from cmd prompt

Should look like fastboot flash boot boot.img then hit enter key

Mikaelll

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I have the ICS update already on my htc vivid, but I need the jelly bean update. My vivid is rooted already, so how do I go about update to jelly bean?

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that the Vivid is older hardware and Jelly Bean wasn't going to be pushed to it. ICS is as far as it will go.

Kurt

Spooters

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that updates pushed to the phone are actually by choice of the service provider and has nothing to do with HTC. So really we're at the mercy of AT&T ,T Mobile ect(Straight talk for me) The Vivid is more than capable of handling the updates. I feel they are doing the same thing Microsoft did with Windows XP, to encourage tossing the old and buying the latest money maker. My single core processor & virtually no ram pre-paid ZTE savvy had Jelly Bean, yet dual core 1 gig ram vivid can't?

While reading through CM forums for unrelated reasons, something stood out to me that I saw a bit of relevance in.
" When you get devices that have Sense or Touchwiz like interfaces, the code is no longer viewable to CM, so they have to start guessing and writing hacks to try and get the camera that was designed to work with Sense to work with AOSP. As I said earlier, this is sometimes extremely hard to do (with the HTC One X, they had to do hacks to prevent the face detection from running, otherwise it would crash the CM camera app - they were never able to figure out any workarounds)." ~ bassmadrigal. From this forum. http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/76294-htc-vivid-holiday-cm10-confusion-revelations-and-feedback/ Which tells me that if the amazing developers for CM can make kitkat/JB work for vivid even while being ball and chained by locked closed source drivers. Then Making a legitimate KitKat (RUU?) manufactured ROM is more than possible. They're just big meanies

Last edited:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that updates pushed to the phone are actually by choice of the service provider and has nothing to do with HTC. So really we're at the mercy of AT&T ,T Mobile ect(Straight talk for me) The Vivid is more than capable of handling the updates. I feel they are doing the same thing Microsoft did with Windows XP, to encourage tossing the old and buying the latest money maker. My single core processor & virtually no ram pre-paid ZTE savvy had Jelly Bean, yet dual core 1 gig ram vivid can't?

While reading through CM forums for unrelated reasons, something stood out to me that I saw a bit of relevance in.
" When you get devices that have Sense or Touchwiz like interfaces, the code is no longer viewable to CM, so they have to start guessing and writing hacks to try and get the camera that was designed to work with Sense to work with AOSP. As I said earlier, this is sometimes extremely hard to do (with the HTC One X, they had to do hacks to prevent the face detection from running, otherwise it would crash the CM camera app - they were never able to figure out any workarounds)." ~ bassmadrigal. From this forum. http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/76294-htc-vivid-holiday-cm10-confusion-revelations-and-feedback/ Which tells me that if the amazing developers for CM can make kitkat/JB work for vivid even while being ball and chained by locked closed source drivers. Then Making a legitimate KitKat (RUU?) manufactured ROM is more than possible. They're just big meanies

Actually, who is the manufacturer that makes the updates for the carriers to approve? HTC. HTC said "no way man!", so us Vivid lovers don't get Sense 4.1ish with 4.1.x. It is about the money, and there are ROMS for the Vivid that have Jellybean and KitKat. Just don't care for Cyanogenmod anymore. I miss all the fun in CM7, after that, they got really serious and took out a lot of stuff.

Sent from my HTC One unfortunately from NSA, I mean, Verizon that is now unlocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol