new phone (Virgin Mobile), no memory

mewikime

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I bought my girlfriend a Wildfire S on Virgin Mobile two weeks ago on Black Friday, along with a new 8GB SD card.

Now she keeps getting popup messages that she has low internal memory, that she should delete her history, messages, etc, and her apps won't update because there is no room for them.

Last week she factory reset the phone to see if that would fix the issue, but it's doing the same thing now.

The apps she has downloaded are Amazon Appstore, App2SD Pro, Batterylife Widget, Best Buy App, Bubble Buster, Kmart, NetSpend, Photobucket, Target, and Soundhound Infinity.

Amazon Appstore, App2SD, Batterylife, NetSpend and Soundhound are on the phone, the rest are on the SD card. Also, the phone is stock, unrooted, etc, so it has all the bloatware that Virgin installed too. We transferred her photos and music over from her Optimus V to the new SD card, and all the other apps are installed on it ("all" being a grand total of 4 -- the phone won't let her download any more)

App2SD says her internal storage is 150mb, and that she currently has 17mb available. She still has 6GB free on the SD.

Her Optimus V had way more apps, including What to Expect, EasyTether, Barcode Scanner, Netflix, Fruit Ninja, LA County Library, Progressive and Carls Jr which are all pretty large, so it's a huge letdown that she can't install these.

Is this normal for the Wildfire S or does she have a faulty phone? If we have to exchange it we need to do it soon.

2fast4u88

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Sd card is not used for apps. Well it sort of is on apps that support being moved to sd. The wildfire is old tech in a shiney new case. In short terms there is a reason it is so cheap. It doesn't use emmc like the better htcs so it only has a 512mb rom partition. Everything on the phone is on that 512mb partition. Which leaves you something like 100mb for data for apps.

There is no way around this besides slimming sense, using cmtd, then apps2sd+ with a ext partition on the card. Which will then allow apps to be install on the sd card. How ever cmtd will not work on the wildfire yet as I haven't got time to look at it.

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with my husbands new HTC Wildfire S ( VM ) and the only way I manage it is to install as much as you can to the SD Card, then take the big apps like Amazon, Best Buys,Kmart & Target..delete them, and bookmark the mobile version of their websites in your browser settings. ( so there's no app actually installed taking up space you can use for other things ). Also make use of the stock apps and don't install apps which are repeats of stuff that's already installed in the system. Until you can get this phone rooted and uninstall the excess stuff you don't need, you have to make the best use of available memory space you have. I use System Control Panel Pro and History Eraser Pro to clean out the app caches. Android Booster works as a good system multi-tool as well. My husband's maintains a 63% used memory level with 76 apps listed in the app drawer. you can also go into the Settings>Applications>Manage Applications and go thru the listing of apps you Don't use. Click the "clear data" & "clear cache" buttons. Those settings will go to 0mb & help free up memory space, just don't open those apps. It's a little work to maintain this phone, but it is a nice starter droid. Good luck.

Reactions: jfm2154

lizzya06

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I am so sorry I got this wildfire s, I have always had samsung, the internal memory is horrible, I have to keep deleting things, & most downloadable apps can't be moved to sd card, like when google play took over the android market app, that took up a big chunk, & every time there are updates to install it takes up more space. It is so frustrating, it's a lot of work to maintain. mine is through tmobile but I am sure they are the same phone. facebook really eats up the memory, they make them so they don't even last the 2 yrs under contract, you need to get a new one before the 2 yrs are up, it's a huge money maker for someone with deep pockets just raking it in.

captainc1984

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My girfriend and I were fooled by the black friday buzz on the wildfire s as well. Great performer, untill you download a couple apps and the memory is full. Better camera than several more expensive phones. After hours of reading developer forums I figured out how to unlock the bootloader and root the phone. I gutted out the crap, now i have custom launchers, and my app menu is six pages long. :D. It is a tricky process, but i succeeded on 2 virgin mobile wildfire s phones (marvelc/a510c) THose are the other ways you will see your specific model mentioned in the forums. Any ways, It really makes the phone worth having. If anyone needs help let me know, I had to pull together sources from all over, so if there's interest i'll take the time to make proper instructions. there's so many different sub models of the same phone that the research process was lengthy

Reactions: rexmy

capouch

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Could you start a thread on this site and provide a HOWTO? The "documentation" out there, such as it is, is generally very spread out, confusing, and prone to being wrong.

rexmy

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I would really like if you would post the fix to this phone. Hate the bloatware and can't move crap to my 8g sd card, BTY they have updated the operating system on it recently.

Thanks

insink71

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The update only made things worse for me personally.
The fix is:
Go to htcdev and unlock bootloader [or s-off]
Install a custom recovery
Root phone
Partition sd card to include following partitions:
1) already has fat32; backup, resize if neccessary
2) an ext2,3 [stock kernel] or 4 [custom kernel] of not more than 2g [1.5 recommended],
swap may also be enabled on some custom kernels so you might elect a...
3) 512k swap partition
Download a rom with Darktremmors apps2sd built-in [or Cyanogenmod if you're gsm]

Kind of complicated for someone just starting out, but above nets you the additional /sdext space to play with. Htcdev is reversible; s-off is basically not unless you're an uber nerd slapstick with jtag ;)

Edit: for editing I recommend Titanium Backup [requires root].. you can backup apps, then remove them, move them to different partitions, etc.
Also I recommend Links2sd as it works with Darktremmor's apps2sd and utilizes the /sdext [as opposed system a2sd sends apps to fat32]

Hope that helps.

Rob

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

iluvny916

May 5, 2012
Visit site
My girfriend and I were fooled by the black friday buzz on the wildfire s as well. Great performer, untill you download a couple apps and the memory is full. Better camera than several more expensive phones. After hours of reading developer forums I figured out how to unlock the bootloader and root the phone. I gutted out the crap, now i have custom launchers, and my app menu is six pages long. :D. It is a tricky process, but i succeeded on 2 virgin mobile wildfire s phones (marvelc/a510c) THose are the other ways you will see your specific model mentioned in the forums. Any ways, It really makes the phone worth having. If anyone needs help let me know, I had to pull together sources from all over, so if there's interest i'll take the time to make proper instructions. there's so many different sub models of the same phone that the research process was lengthy
can i ask how you did it? because ive tried updating my phone threw bootloader and it keeps giving me error messages

jonnypsyops

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I would love a detailed process of what you did to free your Wildfire of the bloatware. I have the HTC_A510c model and a complete newby to this but willing to learn because this low memory crap is killing me!
Come to my rescue!

david johnson1

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My name is David Johnson and I want to learn how to root my phone, I have a HTC wildfire s by virgin Mobile and my memory stays low and I don't even have much new apps on here but I would be forever grateful if you could help me out, thank you for your time.

jxc011

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My name is David Johnson and I want to learn how to root my phone, I have a HTC wildfire s by virgin Mobile and my memory stays low and I don't even have much new apps on here but I would be forever grateful if you could help me out, thank you for your time.

There are many root methods in this forum. It took mere seconds to root my phone once I downloaded 2fast4u88 root method :D

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums