[ROM][STOCK] Wildfire S custom stock ROM

forgiv

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
This is for virgin mobile cdma marvelc phones only. I'm not responsible for you bricking your phone.

This is the stock ROM for HTC Wildfire S on virgin mobile usa with some custom changes applied. This is the first ROM I've ever built so I hope you enjoy it.

Changes include:

V3
fixed sound set issue(hopefully)

V2
fixed missing dialer
removed facebook, weather and twitter for extra space you can add them back if you want from market
fixed an issue with camera
fixed music issue
more junk apps removed

V1
rooted
busybox installed
removed Sense
removed all HTC junk apps
added ADW Launcher
added links2sd

Available internal memory with this is 88MB on my phone compared to the 30MB I got from the stock ROM.

To install, simply copy to sd card and install from recovery menu.

To take advantage of links2sd make sure you have an extra partition on your sd card. I suggest it be about 1GB in size formatted to fat32. Of course you can have whatever size you see fit.

Please report any bugs. I really appreciate all the help guys.

Downloads:

V3 - Newest
V2
V1

Last edited:

Lumify

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The phone app doesn't work on mine. I wiped everything, even the Dalvik cache, before installing, so I don't know what I could be doing wrong. It is not in the app drawer, but it is in the app management list. The voice dialer works, at least for calling voicemail. Phone.apk is in /system/app/ (er, /apps?). I tried removing it, rebooting, and reinstalling it. I've tried reinstalling it as a user app too. When I remove it, the activation app comes up, but it FCs if I try to use it.

This would be a nice ROM if my phone was still a phone. :p

forgiv

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
This would be a nice ROM if my phone was still a phone. :p

Just finished with some fixes and adding some files, I'll update my post with new link and changelog after I test it. Expect it to be up before the day is over. Unless I completely destroy it by trying to fix it, which I have done plenty of times now lol

- fixes added and download updated, thanks for the report

Good work.

Is there a corresponding kernel for your ROM?

Thank you.
There is no corresponding kernel for this as I am still just learning and kernel development is a bit aways right now. I'd look into that overclocking kernel if you want a kernel though.

Last edited:

moranpms

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
just installed ur rom as my daily - switched from cm7. cm7 didnt have a working cam.

any updates regarding the kernel?

keep up the good work. ill let you know if i find any bugs.

javierrr13

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Great rom from what I've seen so far. But when I go to sound and try to change the phone ringtone or notification sound, I get a forced close :-\ (The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again). That's the only bug I've come across so far.

forgiv

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for using my ROM, I really appreciate the feedback. Now down to business.

The problem you're having with sound is odd, I tried the same thing on my phone and it worked just fine. Maybe try going to links2sd and clearing the caches? Either that or just reinstalling the ROM might work.

As for the kernel questions... I'm in my last year of high school right now, I'm bogged down with senior project stuff. I'm also maintaining a live stream everyday on twitch.tv and a YouTube channel. And when I'm not doing that I'm teaching myself Java and Python and C++. So unless someone would like to tutor me completely on the mechanics of kernel development right now, it looks like I'm not going to be able to produce my own kernel for this. Maybe when I get out of high school and my schedule lightens up I'll get into it. Although CM9 might be out for our phones by then so don't expect much.

javierrr13

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem you're having with sound is odd, I tried the same thing on my phone and it worked just fine. Maybe try going to links2sd and clearing the caches? Either that or just reinstalling the ROM might work.

Unsuccessful attempts with those methods :-\ but DID get it to work by restoring "Sounds Set" from a previous Titanium Backup

NaRu7o

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I'm new to the whole scene of android tweaking, but I just got the Wildfire S from a guy that tried to root it and somehow messed it up horribly. Right now I'm downloading yours and I wanted to tell you thanks for putting a pretty much stock version of the phone up cause somehow he managed to kill the activate.apk and the market won't open at all. There are a bunch of other problems that came up with what he did and no matter what kind of update/restore I do, I can't get it back to true stock factory settings. Hopefully I can fix it with this. I'm not exactly a noob when it comes to fixing things, but what he did has me completely stumped.

EDIT: So, I managed to get it installed after a few attempts and now it's got more files than before, but I'm getting the error "Service not available Error 06-07-5920 Contact Virgin Mobile" I have internet, but no calls or texts (I'm assuming because it's not activated yet) Do I need to change the "Mobile Directory Number" and MSID? I'm assuming I do so I can program the phone to the right number, but I thought that would be done automatically.

EDIT 2: Well, I successfully installed your ROM and edited the MDN and MSID. Now I have it activated and it's running smooth. I did notice that you changed something cause before I loaded your ROM, I had a bar on the bottom that had the phone, apps and appearance editor, but now I don't. Is it supposed to be on the Wildfire S or was that just something that the previous owner had put with his custom root (that epically failed)?

Last edited:

javierrr13

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
EDIT 2: Well, I successfully installed your ROM and edited the MDN and MSID. Now I have it activated and it's running smooth. I did notice that you changed something cause before I loaded your ROM, I had a bar on the bottom that had the phone, apps and appearance editor, but now I don't. Is it supposed to be on the Wildfire S or was that just something that the previous owner had put with his custom root (that epically failed)?

No, the missing bar at the bottom was part of HTC Sense, which was removed in this ROM, and pretty much replaced by ADW Launcher. "Personalize" and other features of Sense are all gone. :p

NaRu7o

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Good to know that it wasn't something that was needed. I figured it wouldn't be if it was gone, but I wasn't sure if it's something that I might have needed for something. Other than the customised looks that I would've wanted to put on there, I'm glad that it was removed tho. I didn't want to accidentally press the phone button and make a call cause I'm on a very limited minutes plan.

I haven't messed around with the phone too much other than actually using it. Does the tether option in the "connect to phone" always mess with PDAnet? I had to deal with that for about 15 mins, trying various options and settings before finally putting it on "connect as storage" when installing the drivers.
It works now (if you haven't guessed, that's how I'm on the internet) so I'll report any bugs that may arise from using that. I noticed that using it as a tether makes it charge really slowly. It's not the fastest connection, but it works since I'm only paying $25 for my plan (snuck it in before they changed the plans around) however, they'll limit my bandwidth to 2.5 gigs and throttle me like hell when I go over.

Great find since I got my phone for $125 and it's brand new $200. Cheers guys!

EDIT: So I found one bug. When you put in a visual pattern lock, the swipe to unlock doesn't go away, forcing you to both swipe then unlock it. Not sure if it's because of the need to put a persistent lock to allow the screen to properly lock or if it's some kind of glitch, but it is kind of odd. If you need to know the specifics to what I did, I put a visual pattern lock without the display, tactile or audible feedback. It doesn't hinder anything, but I thought you might want to know. Maybe support for an option of turning off the lock (could already be implemented, I just haven't found it yet) or detecting if the stock system has a lock of it's own and disabling the "forced" lock screen when it finds another one already in place. Just ideas and the problem isn't that important seeing as how it doesn't negatively effect my usage of the phone.

EDIT 2: So I found a major bug with the sound settings. I can't choose any ringtones for anything. I have to FC the settings that I'm changing. It doesn't matter if it's the messaging system or the main settings that I'm changing, it FC's on me. I installed "Tone Picker" and it allows me to change the settings so I'm not without options, but I think removing the HTC Sense might've been a problem for the ringtones and notif sounds. It's not that they won't play, I just can't choose any without using something other than the stock system.

Last edited:

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Does this nonSense ROM really save memory? If so I might take a look at it, although one of the big draws of the phone is (unfortunately) Sense...

forgiv

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm picking this project back up again for a little while since school has mostly cooled down. I'll get to work on the bugs asap.

As far a this ROM really opening up more memory, it is true. Although, I never saw sense as a draw. It's very bulky and I don't like it in general. But to each his own. The point of my ROM is mainly just to have a nice alternative to the stock.

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk

forgiv

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Uploaded new version. Hopefully this fixes the bug your having with ringtones and what-not. I don't really have time to test on my own so tell me if it works.

Bearii

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
not loading

I managed to screw my HTC Wildfire S on Virgin Mobile and now it is in a perpetual reboot loop. I thought maybe loading your ROM would fix the problem. The only problem is I can't seem to get it to load.

I've copied the zipped file to both a Goldcard and a freshly formatted SD. I copied the contents of the zip file to the root of both cards. In all cases when I do that and start the phone by pressing VOL DN and Power the phone goes to HBOOT, I click Fastboot (can't do anything else), it goes through it's little bit about no images. Then I select Recovery, it very briefly show a green circle then goes to a red circle with a red exclamation mark and doesn't do anything else.

What am I doing wrong. Sorry newbie here, phone is rooted with S-off, virgin mobile, marvelc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

forgiv

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: not loading

I managed to screw my HTC Wildfire S on Virgin Mobile and now it is in a perpetual reboot loop. I thought maybe loading your ROM would fix the problem. The only problem is I can't seem to get it to load.

I've copied the zipped file to both a Goldcard and a freshly formatted SD. I copied the contents of the zip file to the root of both cards. In all cases when I do that and start the phone by pressing VOL DN and Power the phone goes to HBOOT, I click Fastboot (can't do anything else), it goes through it's little bit about no images. Then I select Recovery, it very briefly show a green circle then goes to a red circle with a red exclamation mark and doesn't do anything else.

What am I doing wrong. Sorry newbie here, phone is rooted with S-off, virgin mobile, marvelc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You copied the .zip file or its contents?

It also sounds like you don't have a custom recovery working.
Put this on the root of your sd card and boot into hboot. Let it run and click yes on update. Once it updates you need to delete that file off your sd card and you will be able to get into recovery.

Once in recovery make sure you wipe data and cache and go to advanced and wipe dalvik too.
Then go to install zip from sd card and go to .zip file that is my rom. Install it and reboot normally.
It will take a little bit to load but it should work just fine.

Bearii

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: not loading

You copied the .zip file or its contents?

It also sounds like you don't have a custom recovery working.
Put this on the root of your sd card and boot into hboot. Let it run and click yes on update. Once it updates you need to delete that file off your sd card and you will be able to get into recovery.

Once in recovery make sure you wipe data and cache and go to advanced and wipe dalvik too.
Then go to install zip from sd card and go to .zip file that is my rom. Install it and reboot normally.
It will take a little bit to load but it should work just fine.

I tried both the zip file and then tried the contents in the root of the sd card. No luck.

I'll give this process a try - thanks for taking the time to help. Quick question. Should I do this using my goldcard SD with all the current data on it or use the newly formatted (FAT32) SD card that is blank?

Bearii

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
awesome!

Forgiv - just a quick update... I followed your instructions above and it worked like a charm! So now my soft brick is humming again AND I have your new ROM. I'll keep you posted if I find anything that doesn't work. Definitely more space with it!!! When I checked I had 72k left but it was already downloading mail and apps so probably had more to start.

Thanks so much for the help. I'll be watching your link for more updates.

Cheers,
Dave

forgiv

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: awesome!

Forgiv - just a quick update... I followed your instructions above and it worked like a charm! So now my soft brick is humming again AND I have your new ROM. I'll keep you posted if I find anything that doesn't work. Definitely more space with it!!! When I checked I had 72k left but it was already downloading mail and apps so probably had more to start.

Thanks so much for the help. I'll be watching your link for more updates.

Cheers,
Dave

Good to see it helped :)

Don't forget to submit any bugs you may find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995