Sensible Screen Resolution

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Many of us are used to 1440p displays on recent devices, but can't help wondering how those devices would perform if they'd been given 1080p instead. A touch more zip, a longer battery life? 1080p on a 6" display looks fine....think Lumia 1520, Galaxy Note 3. This feature on the Mate 8 is not necessarily a step backwards.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I...don't know how I feel about this haha. I've seen phones with 1080p displays side by side the denser ones (same screen size) and back when I had the 1080p screen I couldn't tell, but now that you put them side by side... you do notice it! Or at least, I do. Things just look better and up close (something I must absolutely do when I'm not wearing my glasses at night since everything 6 inches away from me is a complete blur... yes, I'm almost blind haha :( ) you DEFINITELY see the difference.

But I agree, a 1080p screen isn't that bad, and it would help tremendously with battery life and performance.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Many of us are used to 1440p displays on recent devices, but can't help wondering how those devices would perform if they'd been given 1080p instead. A touch more zip, a longer battery life? 1080p on a 6" display looks fine....think Lumia 1520, Galaxy Note 3. This feature on the Mate 8 is not necessarily a step backwards.

Note 3 and lumia 1520 were both 2013 devices. An efficient QHD panel such as the one in the note 5, won't use much more battery than a fHD display.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
But take the same QHD tech and put less pixels in it... and it should, in theory, improve battery consumption from the display. As to how significant that difference is, I don't know.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on the user too. SpookDroid notices the difference. I can't see any difference on a 55" LCD TV screen at normal viewing distance between HD video and 4k video unless I get close enough to see individual pixels - and with plastic implants in my eyes, II have near-perfect vision. There's nothing I can't read on my Note 3 - maybe if someone comes out with an app with a 1 pt. font I'll have a problem, but that's difficult on paper too.

As for the battery, it also depends on the screen technology. An Amoled screen's power drain is mostly influenced by color - if it's displaying black, even an 8k screen will be drawing nothing. But if it's all white, a 4k screen with more pixels will be drawing a LOT more current than an HD screen. Straight LED screens will draw a little more for more pixels, but not enough to save more than a few minutes of battery by making it a 1080 screen.

The big advance is going to be in batteries. Once the automotive industry solves their problem (you don't see many cars with lithium batteries - they fail too often and are too expensive to replace), the cellphone battery industry can use the same chemistry or physics (whatever is developed) to give us 10,000 mAh batteries in the same size as the current 3,000 mAh ones, and for not much more money. Then we'll stop worrying about another 10 minutes of SoT.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The big advance is going to be in batteries. Once the automotive industry solves their problem (you don't see many cars with lithium batteries - they fail too often and are too expensive to replace), the cellphone battery industry can use the same chemistry or physics (whatever is developed) to give us 10,000 mAh batteries in the same size as the current 3,000 mAh ones, and for not much more money. Then we'll stop worrying about another 10 minutes of SoT.

Yup, that needs to be solved first. In higher capacities, these things tend to catch fire haha. Tesla and every Chinese Hoverboard manufacturer can attest to that!