Encrypting and fully wiping data from Mate 9

fatboy88888

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm returning my Mate 9 and looking to wipe the data from it. I've read in numerous articles that to fully wipe an android phone I should encrypt my phone then factory reset it. However, I can't find the encrypt option on the Mate 9. So I have two questions...

1. Is the Mate 9 encrypted by default?
2. Does anyone know if I'm able to encrypt on the Mate 9?
3. If not, is there another way to encrypt/fully wipe data from the Mate 9? Someone suggested using an app such as "Secure Erase with iShredder 4", do these apps actually work?

Thanks in advance.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I'm returning my Mate 9 and looking to wipe the data from it. I've read in numerous articles that to fully wipe an android phone I should encrypt my phone then factory reset it. However, I can't find the encrypt option on the Mate 9. So I have two questions...

1. Is the Mate 9 encrypted by default?
2. Does anyone know if I'm able to encrypt on the Mate 9?
3. If not, is there another way to encrypt/fully wipe data from the Mate 9? Someone suggested using an app such as "Secure Erase with iShredder 4", do these apps actually work?

Thanks in advance.

1 - As far as I have learned, no.
2 - Same - no.

3 - I'd like to know the answer too.

fatboy88888

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
1 - As far as I have learned, no.
2 - Same - no.

3 - I'd like to know the answer too.

That's what I understand as well, but when I go to Memory and Storage, and change the default from internal to SD card storage, a pop up message displays saying my phone has been encrypted and to make sure the external storage is as well. But then there appears to be conflicting comments saying it isn't.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Wonder if encryption is out of the hands of user is all. Not an "option" because you can't turn it off, it is baked right in.

When I set up a new SD card it asked - or told me - that was it.

fatboy88888

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Wonder if encryption is out of the hands of user is all. Not an "option" because you can't turn it off, it is baked right in.

When I set up a new SD card it asked - or told me - that was it.

If this is the case then that's fine but there seems to be no confirmation of this anywhere

fatboy88888

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Did they take it away, or it on by default and no option to disable.

I don't know, I did some research today and the information is conflicting. I've asked Huawei for clarification, waiting to hear back from them. It would seem very odd if there was no encryption, especially for a high end phone like the Mate 9 and the fact Google have made it a requirement to have encryption by default in Nougat.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
For the record.... here is the response I got when I asked about encryption on Amazon...............

Hello Paul, the 9 is very secure. It does include an encrypted file safe for everything you put on the device. It also comes with 4 Level fingerprint which you can set to access your encrypted data. (DM) - HuaweiDeviceUSAService answered on January 14, 2017

To me, that answers the question. No, the phone is not encrypted.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have to wonder if it is CPU related? Many much cheaper phones with a Qualcomm CPU can be encrypted.

anon(9023234)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Since the device requires a pin after restart, that would indicate the use of "Direct Boot", which is related to the new file based encryption in 7.0. Hence, device is encrypted.

Biggest mystery seems to be why Huawei representatives can't answer this fairly simple question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair