the mate 9 screen is impressive

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I continue to be impressed on how good the mate 9 LCD 1080P panel is. The blacks seem to approach AMOLED quality(yes subjective on my part) but I have to say compared to the LG V20 and OP3, this is my favorite screen.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I continue to be impressed on how good the mate 9 LCD 1080P panel is. The blacks seem to approach AMOLED quality(yes subjective on my part) but I have to say compared to the LG V20 and OP3, this is my favorite screen.

That is good to hear. Anything else (aside from the screen) that you like about the device?

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

I liked the colors from the op3 better. Like you said it's subjective. I hope next phone they go with an AMOLED screen. Screen is still very nice

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
That is good to hear. Anything else (aside from the screen) that you like about the device?
The Mate 9 has proved to be lag free in all use cases I have thrown at it. The battery life is impressive but was hoping for better based on youtube reviews. I am getting 5-5.5 hours of SOT so far. EMUI 5.0 seems pretty vanilla (a good thing).
Build quality is excellent!

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site

You didn't ask me but I'll answer. i just got mine two days ago.

So far, what I like are:

I think the screen is great, no issues with it at all.
Great battery life. I hadn't had this great battery life since my Sony Xperia Z1, probably the screen helps battery life.
Build quality, heavy but feels nice and premium.
Zero lag
Super bright at the maximum brighness level
Best and faster finger print sensor I've experienced.
I like the default notification sounds
Dual sim
Default music player is descent. Probably wont be downloading an alternative.
Sound is not as great as Axon 7 but still descent.
Camera so far has been good. No issues yet, better than Axon 7, slightly below S7/S7 Edge.
I like that it has an option where you have 6 seconds to pull back a text message you already sent out. I had to already use it once.

Last edited:

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
You didn't ask me but I'll answer. i just got mine two days ago.

Default music player is descent. Probably wont be downloading an alternative.

Have you been able to get the stock music player to recognize sync'd playlists? I haven't been able to. I use isyncr and no luck. I agree it looks good, but if I can't get playlists to transfer, I use Rocket.

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
The Mate 9 has proved to be lag free in all use cases I have thrown at it. The battery life is impressive but was hoping for better based on youtube reviews. I am getting 5-5.5 hours of SOT so far. EMUI 5.0 seems pretty vanilla (a good thing).
Build quality is excellent!

I'm getting between 7-8 hours SOT over 24 hours. Make sure that you go into battery settings and select the apps that you want to close when the screen is locked. That's it. No need for power saving or anything. Also over the first week I had the phone battery life improved everyday. It has now averaging between 7-8 hours SOT and I've maxed at 9 hours.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Inaccurate in what sense ?

Fred

"Before we list the Mate 9’s positive traits, let’s discuss its biggest blemish: the 5.9-inch display. Yes, it gets very bright and has excellent black levels for an IPS panel, but Huawei’s display calibration leaves a lot to be desired. The overly cool white point, imperfect gamma, and wide gamut support lead to poor grayscale and color accuracy. Huawei does include preconfigured Cold and Warm white point settings, but they only make things worse. The screen looks decent after adjusting the white point manually, but it still trails other flagship phones. Huawei also misses an opportunity to provide better color accuracy by not providing an sRGB display mode, although, some people will like the punchy colors from its wide gamut display. Viewing angles are not particularly good either."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10871/the-huawei-mate-9-review/10

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
"Before we list the Mate 9’s positive traits, let’s discuss its biggest blemish: the 5.9-inch display. Yes, it gets very bright and has excellent black levels for an IPS panel, but Huawei’s display calibration leaves a lot to be desired. The overly cool white point, imperfect gamma, and wide gamut support lead to poor grayscale and color accuracy. Huawei does include preconfigured Cold and Warm white point settings, but they only make things worse. The screen looks decent after adjusting the white point manually, but it still trails other flagship phones. Huawei also misses an opportunity to provide better color accuracy by not providing an sRGB display mode, although, some people will like the punchy colors from its wide gamut display. Viewing angles are not particularly good either."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10871/the-huawei-mate-9-review/10

I have to mostly agree with this statement. The screen is very much acceptable but it's not great at the same time. I tend to like to curl up in my bed after work and put some nice headphones on and watch TV shows and movies from my phone. I've done this with many phones but the big seller here was a bigger screen. There has been moments where sometimes I miss the colors and contrast from an AMOLED screen.

I really wish this was a well calibrated AMOLED screen

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have to mostly agree with this statement. The screen is very much acceptable but it's not great at the same time. I tend to like to curl up in my bed after work and put some nice headphones on and watch TV shows and movies from my phone. I've done this with many phones but the big seller here was a bigger screen. There has been moments where sometimes I miss the colors and contrast from an AMOLED screen.

I really wish this was a well calibrated AMOLED screen

Lcd is fine... The screen on my iPhone 7 Plus is pretty accurate.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thats a little subjective. I really prefer deeper blacks

There's nothing subjective about it. The iPhone 7 Plus is a very accurate display, and there mate 9 is not. As to what you prefer... That's up to you. Some people prefer an inaccurate display.

Also, Black levels on the iPhone 7 Plus is good too.

738c3323f49a607ac7e164e15c8f40fc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol