OK Google not working?

B3nb123

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
When I long-press the home button to bring up the Google window, it prompts me at the top of the screen to say 'OK Google' but I can say it til I'm blue in the face, it doesn't notice. I have to press the little microphone icon.
It's not something I really use, but perhaps I would if my phone would enter the ok Google mode just at my voice request to ask it something. Are there some settings I need to enable?
Is it possible for Google to wake my phone from sleep using the ok Google command?

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to access some options to enable "Ok, Google" by using the settings (hamburger) button on the top left from the Google app (the screen you reach by long-pressing the home button).
For what you are looking for:
Settings>Voice>"Ok Google" detection - First, enable "From any screen" and "Trusted Voice". This may or may not prompt you to train/retrain voice model. Go through the voice model training steps. The voice recognition will improve with use, as Google will learn any specific speech patterns or pronunciation that are personal to you.
As far as waking from sleep, that can only be done if the device is charging (some phones, such as the Moto X, had/have an always on listening capability.) But it's pretty nice to be laying in bed while your phone is charging and just yell at it to play some music or get some info. :)

B3nb123

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I've now found the voice settings Hadn't known to look at the Google settings, only the main phone settings. Have now found it!
Not sure if I'd use the voice wakeup (OK Emy) but it's clever that it's an option. Ok Google now works from any screen, now it's learnt my voice.
Relatives have the amazon echo, so I'm intrigued about what voice control stuff I could do just on my phone!

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Amazon Echo has been known to respond to what it hears from anyone including tv and ordered items,! Info commercials have a winner!

Answering machines, and other sources.

Anything with mic and remote audio always listening ? No thanks!