Using Mate 9 as DD. Mixed results

JBobH

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
Love the hardware and speed of software. Beautiful.

But some streaming apps like iHeart radio stop after about 5 minutes. Also have a pixel and the app behaves the same on Pixel. The other podcasting app I have though works as expected. Not a Mate 9 problem really.

You never truly know if a device works until you spend time with it as a DD. A shame. The Mate 9 was so cool I took my sim out of my iPhone 7 plus to use it as a DD.

Inconsistent app quality is what keeps me on iPhone as a DD. When you need stuff to just work. But I am very happy with Mate 9 otherwise.

TeknoBlast

May 20, 2016
Visit site

But some streaming apps like iHeart radio stop after about 5 minutes. Also have a pixel and the app behaves the same on Pixel. The other podcasting app I have though works as expected. Not a Mate 9 problem really.

You never truly know if a device works until you spend time with it as a DD. A shame. The Mate 9 was so cool I took my sim out of my iPhone 7 plus to use it as a DD.

Inconsistent app quality is what keeps me on iPhone as a DD. When you need stuff to just work. But I am very happy with Mate 9 otherwise.

This is happening to you too? The iHeart app started to stop working just these last few days. I would say before the start of this week, I used iHeart daily without any issues. So I under if there was an update to the app itself that's causing this.

Kind of glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

This is happening to you too? The iHeart app started to stop working just these last few days. I would say before the start of this week, I used iHeart daily without any issues. So I under if there was an update to the app itself that's causing this.

Kind of glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.

I use iHeart radio at least 6 hours a day and Ive had zero issues with it stopping or disconnecting. Now on my iPhone 6s Plus I was having that issue a couple weeks ago constantly and almost tossed the phone out the car window, but have yet to have it on the Mate 9 or Axon 7. I dont think its the phone at all, I actually think its something to do with data signal getting too low to keep up with the caching of songs.

TeknoBlast

May 20, 2016
Visit site
It's weird because I run iHeart and if I let the phone lock itself after a minute or so, the app will run for a good while. Then after a while, the app will stop playing until I unlock the phone, then it tries to connect again.

Before this week, it wasnt happening, so who knows what's going on. I may have to tinker around with it.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
It's weird because I run iHeart and if I let the phone lock itself after a minute or so, the app will run for a good while. Then after a while, the app will stop playing until I unlock the phone, then it tries to connect again.

Before this week, it wasnt happening, so who knows what's going on. I may have to tinker around with it.

Possibly a power saving restriction. May need to exempt the app from any power saving. I know I was getting alerts that iheart radio was using high battery but I exempted it and havent had an issue since.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
So I had the same issue today with iHeartRadio as you guys. I normally run it in the car or while plugged in but today I ran it unplugged connected to a Bluetooth speaker. After 10 minutes it stopped playing till I woke the screen then it automatically resumed. So I'm fairly confident it's a power saving issue but for the life of me can't find a way to shut it off. I tested it with and without Bluetooth to make sure it wasn't Bluetooth shutting down and had the same thing. Not sure how to stop the software from pausing the stream without leaving the screen on.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Alright Ive found where to fix the issue. Go to: settings>apps>settings gear (bottom of screen)>special access>exempt from battery optimization>click drop down arrow next to "allowed">all apps> iheartradio>click "allow".

That should solve the issue. Ive been streaming unplugged for almost 2 hours with zero pauses. It seems the systems built in battery optimization recognized iheartradio as an app that can use alot of battery and pauses it after 10 minutes unless its exempt.

Hope this helps.

JBobH

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
Cool. Thanks.

iHeart now plays without stopping for me as well (also, the iHeart app got an update this week). Still using the Mate 9 as a DD. New out of the box, the aggressive battery optimizations took a while to "dig into" and figure out exactly what was what.

Since marshmallow Android has been a bit more proactive at reducing power consumption. And Huawei amps it up another notch with their software.

Normally when I travel I use my iPhone for the battery life and for the better app quality. I traveled last weekend and continued to use the Mate 9 as my DD. It's a keeper. And now this morning with the latest android February security update it gets even better.

PS: I have a Pixel XL and an iPhone 7 Plus so I have real experience with all these devices as a DD. So yeah I like the Mate 9.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Cool. Thanks.

iHeart now plays without stopping for me as well (also, the iHeart app got an update this week). Still using the Mate 9 as a DD. New out of the box, the aggressive battery optimizations took a while to "dig into" and figure out exactly what was what.

Since marshmallow Android has been a bit more proactive at reducing power consumption. And Huawei amps it up another notch with their software.

Normally when I travel I use my iPhone for the battery life and for the better app quality. I traveled last weekend and continued to use the Mate 9 as my DD. It's a keeper. And now this morning with the latest android February security update it gets even better.

PS: I have a Pixel XL and an iPhone 7 Plus so I have real experience with all these devices as a DD. So yeah I like the Mate 9.

Totally agree about using it as a dd. I actually sold the rest of my phones (s7 edge, axon 7, moto x pure) except my iPhone 6s plus and am exclusively running the mate 9. Theres still a few bugs Id like worked out but so far its running great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20