Screen dimming issues on Huawei P8 Lite

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Screen dimming

Greetings!

So! Recently i purchased the Huawei P8 Lite, a lovely phone. Love it! It appeared to be functioning flawlessly at first, performance was superb. But ever since i installed the recent update i encountered an annoying little 'problem'. It's about the display, allow me to explain.

Basically, it keeps dimming. The home screen in particular, lock screen remains the same. I have auto-brightness disabled, so currently i'm trying to figure out what's causing my home screen to become darker. And why the lock screen is completely fine, lovely brightness, but the home screen immediately begins dimming upon unlocking it. The weird part about it is that when i select a Live Wallpaper the brightness remains exactly the same on both home and lock screens! It only becomes darker when i chose a picture from my gallery. What's causing that? Is it possible to disable that feature? I know it's a small thing but it really gets annoying after a while. Again, this issue didn't seem to be present until i installed the recent update. I tried finding a solution already, but all posts were repeating the same, and none of them had a solution.

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the fast reply!

I'm pretty sure that all the power saving modes are off, the Power plan is also set to Performance. But, i noticed something weird when i experimented with Wallpapers today. Here, let me provide some snapshots:

This right here is showing the Lock Screen, with the Brightness i manually selected and how i want it to be in the Home Screen as well.
Screenshot_2016-08-12-11-47-30.png

This however is what happens when i unlock the phone, the brightness gets completely thrown off, god forbid i enable auto-brightness, it immediately drops by another 40%.
Screenshot_2016-08-12-11-47-46.png

But now take a look at this, look what happens when i select some of the Recommended Wallpapers:

Now the Lock Screen becomes dimmer!
Screenshot_2016-08-12-11-50-30.jpg

While the Home Screens becomes the way i want it to be. Also, please notice how the UI changed, it switched from white to black.
Screenshot_2016-08-12-11-50-42.jpg

Which feature is causing that? Apparently it automatically adjusts the UI and brightness depending on the background.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I'm not entirely familiar with the P8 Lite's stock interface--can you tell us if you have any other 3rd party launchers or lockscreen apps installed? I do have an Honor 5X stuck on EMUI 3.1, so I'm not sure if that's the same--but I've never seen it change the color of the status bar text.

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I don't think so. The only apps i've downloaded are Discord, Steam, CM Security and Skype... that's pretty much it. I also tried doing a full factory reset but the issue is still present.

Perhaps my only solution is to downgrade, if possible? As i mentioned before, the issue didn't seem to be present up until the latest update.

And speaking of EMUI, i just checked, my current version is 4.0.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Of those apps, I'd try uninstalling CM Security. Cheetah Mobile is kind of notorious for adding other unexpected or unwanted features.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, try Safe Mode. On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Apparently, enabling Safe Mode for the P8 Lite was a little different. But i managed to find it. Safe Mode is now enabled, but still... the screen keeps doing its thing. So whatever's causing the issue is not a third-party application. Whatever they did in the 4.0 update, they added the feature that's causing this.

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Ehh, i couldn't really contact them cuz' apparently they don't have the P8 Lite under their categories.

Guess all i can do is hope they come up with an update at some point, until then, pitch black background is my solution! At least i won't notice the dimming then, hah.

Thanks for the help anyway! ^ ~ ^

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon