why won't my phone install anything on my SD card?

A

AC Question

I have a Huawei P8 Lite 2017 in which I put a 32GB SD card. Now the problem is, my phone won't save anything on my SD card even though I set my settings to 'default location > sd card'. My phone now wants to do an update but it can't because my 'phone storage is too full' (due to the apps that are on my phone storage instead of my sd card). It makes my phone freeze continuously.
How do I convert the apps to my SD card / get rid of this problem?

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello :)

The first thing you'll want to do is make sure the SD card is formatted properly. You'll want to get into the phone settings to investigate further. Go to settings > then storage > tap on the SD card > see if there is a format option. Formatting will wipe the SD card clean. So, if you are unsure what you have on it, I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Next, you should be able to move any applications to that SD card manually. You'll usually find this under that storage setting as well. Tap internal storage > apps > select an app > under storage used tap "change" and select SD card slot.

Alternatively, you should be able to go to settings > applications > tap on an application > there should be an option to move it from there.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Samsung by default has a built in file explorer.

Go to your app drawer > Look inside Samsung folder for an app called "My Files." > My files app should have a section called internal storage. You should be able to view the content there.

Another option would be to take your micro usb to USB cable you charge your phone with and plug directly into a computer > open file explorer on your computer > view the Samsung device > view the SD card on the Samsung device and view the contents > you could also save a copy of this data as well if you have a lot of pictures as your storage space used.

Another option *gasp* if you are finding much of the content is photos on the SD card. Backing them up to Google Photos and re formatting the SD card after. Apps can always be restored, but those pictures would be lost.

Hope this helps!

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Samsung by default has a built in file explorer.

Go to your app drawer > Look inside Samsung folder for an app called "My Files." > My files app should have a section called internal storage. You should be able to view the content there.

Another option would be to take your micro usb to USB cable you charge your phone with and plug directly into a computer > open file explorer on your computer > view the Samsung device > view the SD card on the Samsung device and view the contents > you could also save a copy of this data as well if you have a lot of pictures as your storage space used.

Another option *gasp* if you are finding much of the content is photos on the SD card. Backing them up to Google Photos and re formatting the SD card after. Apps can always be restored, but those pictures would be lost.

Hope this helps!

Slight edit on my post. I see we are in the P8 forums, but your last post you did mention a S7. Either way EMUI should have a built in file manager on the P8. If not, there are plenty on the Google Play Store. I personally like this one:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.asus.filemanager&hl=en&token=Z_1K3_2G

You'll be attempting to do the same thing as the instructions above.

David404

Aug 27, 2017
Visit site
I too have a P8 lite 2017 and wondered about this. My research suggests that all the P8 lite uses the SD card for is music and photos. if your trying to move apps to the SD card I suspect you're out of luck.

Have to say my relationship with Huawei and Android is likely to be short lived, not impressed.

J19J

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
I too have a P8 lite 2017 and wondered about this. My research suggests that all the P8 lite uses the SD card for is music and photos. if your trying to move apps to the SD card I suspect you're out of luck.

Have to say my relationship with Huawei and Android is likely to be short lived, not impressed.

I'm the same. I've tried everything that's been suggested by various people, but nothing happens.

Can't move apps, can't format the sd card to make it "internal storage" (as advised) as their either is no option to format and is greyed out.

I can't move apps using an app because when you go into the individual app, the option within the storage section doesn't exist despite numerous instructions that it does or should.

Photos seem to save to the sd card, but the ability to move apps (despite reassurances it should) doesn't exist.

Very disappointed and annoyed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon