Is it worth getting a Huawei P8 and putting on a custom ROM?

evanleibovitch

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I (now) live in Europe and am considering the P8. Its camera and the breadth of LTE bands would be a good match for my uses, and the hardware review seems impressive.

But the reports about the ... quirks ... of the P8's software are disturbing, as I'm quite happy with Android 5.

Based on experience with previous Ascend models, will it be easy to root the P8? Is there much of a developer community? And will I lose any of that nice hardware functionality (especially the camera) is I install a custom ROM?

Does the company care about the non-Asian market enough to want to do (or at least support) a more conventional-Android experience?

If this doesn't work out I just might wait for the OnePlus 2.

(Any chance answering this on the podcast? I'm an avid listener, just not in real-time.)

Danni Jensen

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I just bought one with that intention. But seems a bit scares for guides and roms for it just yet :p

But the Huawei Launcher is pretty horrible i can tell you that already.
But its rarely a problem to root and install custom roms for high end phones in my experince.

Ill give it a week or 2 for some to post guides and roms on XDA developers. seeing as it was just released as faar as i know.

But if you like ill keep you updated :)

But seeing how much access you have to files from the factory ! I Dont think it will be a problem.

leebut

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Why wud you do it ?
It is great phone and soft is solid.. you cna call ,sms , surf ,email.. what such middle aged man wants more from phone??

You think middle-aged men are idiots or something? Middle-aged people grew up in the tech revolution, so they might want more than basic features. If they only had basic needs, an old, pre-smartphone Nokia might be all they need.

Theburni82r

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I used to do all these things, but now I'm older I prefer stability over bleeding edge updates. My rooted phone with cyanogen crashed more than an old Windows pc, and a lot of the original functionality became buggy.

Rooting should only be done when you really want a feature that isn't available natively.

So far the only thing I'm missing in this phone is the double tap to wake.

Last edited:

jerrywall

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The double tap to wake is present in the beta of the new firmware for the P8 that Huawei is currently testing. So it might just be present as an update in a not too far future!

jerrywall

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
That's nice. Just got an update today into build 150. Hopefully we'll get the 5.1 and double tap feature in the near future.
So, B150 for the P8? No sign of anything over B132 here in northern Europé with the GRA-L09. What region are you in? Or is it the GRA-UL00 or the GRA-UL10?

Last edited:

jerrywall

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Ok, the dual sim version. Did you get double tap to wake up in the new firmware update?

Skickat från min HUAWEI GRA-L09 via Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox