Mobile data not always working

funsaft

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Hi!
I purchased a brand new P9 32GB two weeks ago and im really happy with it most of the time. I like to save both battery and money by turning off mobile data and background update for most of the apps, even the system apps and keeping the most important ones on. This works great most of the time but i got a slight problem with it. I have mobile data turned off for Google Play Store. If im on mobile data with wifi turned off and i need a app, i will go into settings to turn on mobile data for Google Play Store. But thats when the strange thing happens.. Mobile data wont work for Google Play Store (or any other app). Its turned on, i open the app but it tells me i need either a wifi connection or mobile data connection. The only way to fix this is to turn on mobile data and background update for every app and restart the phone. My friend also bought the exact same model but from a different store, and he also experienced this problem. The method by enabling all the apps and restarting the phone usually worked for him, but last time it didnt work at all so he had to return it to the store and get a new phone. I've also been in contact with Huawei's customer support but they hadnt even heard of this problem.

So im asking here. Does anyone know what could cause this problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you individually selecting apps to Restrict Background Data, or are you doing it universally? If it's universally restricted, then you have to go to that menu and turn off Restrict Background Data. But are you saying that even if you do this, you have to restart the phone to get it to work?

funsaft

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you individually selecting apps to Restrict Background Data, or are you doing it universally? If it's universally restricted, then you have to go to that menu and turn off Restrict Background Data. But are you saying that even if you do this, you have to restart the phone to get it to work?

You mean Restrict Background Data as in Networked apps > Advanced network management and the Background data tab right? Next to roaming data. If so, i have it turned on for Google Play Store, Huawei Home, Updater, Wi-Fi Direct and Youtube.

The problem is that if Mobile Data isnt enabled for Google Play Store, and i want to browse for an app with mobile data on i then turn on Mobile Data for Google Play Store (in the Networked apps section) but it then tells me i have to be connected to Wifi or mobile data when opening the app. I then have to restart the phone for mobile data to work for Google Play Store. So some of the apps works when i enable mobile data for them on the go, and some doesnt.

On a iPhone i remember this was flawless. If i had for example Snapchat turned off for mobile data use, i could easily turn on mobile data, then enable mobile data for Snapchat and i would be good to go.

I just cant figure out whats causing this. Like i said, my friend also had the same problem, but Huawei havent even heard about the problem. And the lack of the response on this thread also confirms that this isnt a common problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that's the one. So you're saying that you have Background Data checked on for the Play Store, correct? And you're not toggling it off before trying to access the Play Store? Just want to make sure, because I usually see the option as "Restrict Background Data," such that if you turn it on, you're actually turning Background Data off. But in your menu, it looks like toggling that option on turns Background Data on​.

funsaft

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Correct. Background Data has allways been turned on for Play Store and i dont mess with that setting. As you can see in the screenshot below, im guessing when the checkmark is green the Background Data is on. Default settings turns all the checkmarks green.

I just cant figure out what is causing the bottleneck since it all works fine when restarting the phone.

zncusph.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In your OP, you mentioned "I have mobile data turned off for Google Play Store. If I'm on mobile data with wifi turned off and I need an app, I will go into settings to turn on mobile data for Google Play Store." Your phone actually lets you turn on mobile data for specific apps only? I just want to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly, and this isn't referring to background data.

funsaft

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Thats correct. As you can see here you are able to turn on and off mobile data for system apps and downloaded apps. A smart thing to do to save both battery life and money (can also turn on and off wifi for apps/system apps). I thought this was standard on all phones today.

ghiMAfg.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No -- on "stock" Android on a Nexus device, you can't be that granular. You either keep mobile data on or turn it off. The tweaking by Huawei that was necessary to give you that feature might be why it's a little glitchy.

funsaft

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Oh really. I didnt know that. I know Apple had it for a really long time, not sure about Android/Huawei though. Used to a own a HTC a couple of years ago and that option wasnt on that.

And yes, it might be a stupid glitch. But a really annoying glitch. And its pretty strange that Huawei hasnt heard about the problem as i doubt im the only one who turns of mobile data for some of my apps. Hopefully this has been worked out in the upcoming update of Android/EMUI.

Thanks for your replies!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you called Huawei, did they give you a ticket number, or anything suggesting they'd look into this problem? Or did they just grunt and hang up? Hopefully they're at least filing this as an open ticket.

funsaft

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Nope. The guy i spoke with was searching through their FAQ and said they didnt have any reports on the problem. Then i had to tell him that maybe i should wait for the new Android and EMUI update because it wasnt going anywhere and he agreed to that. Kinda bad customer support..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's about as good as a grunt and hangup.;) I wouldn't expect them to have a fix or solution immediately, but at least they should acknowledge the issue and let you know that they'll track it.

funsaft

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Yep, i totally agree. But i'll hold on and wait till new releases and see if they have fixed it, if not i will contact them again and make sure they make a ticket :p