Huawei Ascend Plus - Slow and Unstable?

TikPandora

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a Huawei Ascend Plus on Straight Talk about a week ago, and my experiences with it have been subpar to say the least. While the phone itself is very nice looking and feeling, the performance has left a lot to be desired. It s supposed to have a dual core processor, but it moves slower than molasses most of the time, and the applications seem to crash and hang a lot, especially the web browsers. It seems very slow and unstable, and this is not what the user reviews of the phone said.

What I am curious about is, is this a known issue, is there a way to fix it, or is my phone simply defective...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The only good specs description I could find on the web for the Ascend Plus was in this article: Huawei Ascend Plus, Ascend G710 pics and specs leak | NDTV Gadgets

In it, they state "this smartphone will comes with a 1GHz single-core processor, 4 GB of internal storage and a microSD card slot." A single core processor these days will unfortunately be pretty slow. In addition, the phone only has 512 MB of system RAM, which is important for quick app starting and switching; the lower the RAM, the fewer apps can be kept in memory. Most faster phones have at least 1 GB of system RAM. 4 GB of internal storage also means that the total storage memory available to you is probably around 1-2 GB (after accounting for the storage memory that the OS takes up), and as modern apps get bigger and bigger, you may find that you're running out of memory more quickly.

Unfortunately, many entry-level devices will be like this, which is why they tend to be inexpensive. What browser are you using? I'd suggest sticking with the stock Browser, since installing some other browser like Chrome (which is pretty big and uses a lot of memory) will likely slow your system down even more.

TikPandora

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I know that the RAM on the device is quite low...but the box and Quadrant both state that it has a dual core processor.

I guess what I am really saying is that speed is not my main complaint, it is app stability. How can I improve that? It seems unnecessarily unstable compared to the Samsung Galaxy Centura I had.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the exact model number? Look under Settings/About Phone/Model Number.

Check to make sure your system is completely up to date. Go to Settings/About Phone/System Updates.

Lots of things can contribute to app instability, including the app itself, other apps that are installed that might be interfering, the OS (it's all Android, but each manufacturer and carrier can tweak the OS to customize it somewhat for their own brand), and the hardware. Not much you can do about the hardware, and OS updates are probably pretty few and far in between for your phone. If you have a lot of apps installed, try uninstalling any apps that you really don't need, and see if the system becomes more stable.

Sometimes all it takes is a simple reboot, but other times you might need to do a complete factory data reset (which wipes all of the data--make sure you backup!).

Last edited:

Mark Homer

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
- - - Updated - - -

Mine was slow at first also. Took off Evernote and turned Chrome off, among other things.
Installed Colors and use a plain, dark background.
Also, since installing Clean Master, the phone seems to have perked up. Apparently it just doesn't clean itself up very well.
The same company also makes Battery Doctor, which I use.

Chrome still is a bit slow. Oddly, the phone does much better as a radio and video player, and in GPS, than as any kind of reader.
Phone performance is all I could ask.
For $150, I am tickled with it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz