So, what about hardware acceleration?

MacMan156

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Well they did say that ice cream sandwich was built for the hardware of the GN, so I would guess they would have hardware acceleration.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
hardware acceleration will be present in the apps by default, but NOT the entire OS. they already covered this, saying that things like swiping and stuff will not be hardware accelerated. in short, Android will never be as smooth as iOS or Windows Phone because it is not a composite based OS like those are. android is an "on-the-fly" OS, hence is why it allows customizations, widgets, different launchers, etc. they're banking on the consumers not knowing any better by throwing out "dual-core" and flashy words that still don't equate to single core devices' smoothness (i.e. Windows Phone devices)...

the animations and smoothness and the entire OS of iOS and WP7.5 are already baked in ("taped" or "recorded" if you will) which is why it results in it being so smooth because it's literally like you are watching a pre-recorded set of things (i.e. closed source and doesn't allow much customization). this is the main reason I left Android because it will NEVER be hardware accelerated fully until it is re-written to be composite based.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Where did you see its not in the OS?

I saw nothing of that sort.

ICS is hw accelerated and optimized for dual core. Its been common knowledge for a while, and I bet if I root through the sdk dump, I will have proof.

*Runs off to go look*

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
hardware acceleration will be present in the apps by default, but NOT the entire OS. they already covered this, saying that things like swiping and stuff will not be hardware accelerated. in short, Android will never be as smooth as iOS or Windows Phone because it is not a composite based OS like those are. android is an "on-the-fly" OS, hence is why it allows customizations, widgets, different launchers, etc. they're banking on the consumers not knowing any better by throwing out "dual-core" and flashy words that still don't equate to single core devices' smoothness (i.e. Windows Phone devices)...

the animations and smoothness and the entire OS of iOS and WP7.5 are already baked in ("taped" or "recorded" if you will) which is why it results in it being so smooth because it's literally like you are watching a pre-recorded set of things (i.e. closed source and doesn't allow much customization). this is the main reason I left Android because it will NEVER be hardware accelerated fully until it is re-written to be composite based.

LOL, poor kid is lost.......

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
LOL, poor kid is lost.......

I'm afraid you're the one that's lost...you guys have said it yourself; it's OPTIMIZED FOR DUAL CORE lmao. If you don't have a dual core phone it won't be as smooth. Hardware Acceleration throughout the UI won't be dependent on how many cores there are....as long as the GPU is up to par is all that matters...look it up for yourself ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9S5EO7CLjo

They are banking on dual-core phones to be able to be "iPhone" smooth, so if you don't plan on buying a Galaxy Nexus then I'm going to laugh when the Nexus S isn't as smooth as the Galaxy Nexus like you claim ICS will bring...

As I stated earlier...my Arrive is smoother than any Android phone or tablet available right now because it is TRULY hardware accelerated. I'm lost? Go play with an Arrive next to an Epic Touch (with it's "dual-core glory" at Sprint and tell me my outdated, non dual-core Arrive has lag....yea thought so....

I was rooting for Android like everyone else and waiting for this to be seen. But the fact of the matter is that Android is still horribly fragmented and things like hardware acceleration won't be available on other devices other than the Galaxy Nexus (which even IT doesn't truly have FULL hardware acceleration....only the APPS do). It's smooth, yes, but not hardware accelerated...

Last edited:

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
So you are banking your stance on a video from May? 5 months ago?

Was there any ICS samples out 5 months ago?

As of May, Gingerbread was the current OS, and we all know the UI in GB is not accelerated.

They even mentioned that Honeycomb is now HW accelerated in the GUI. I guess you think that Google decided to work backwards for ICS.

Please watch more than 30s of that video.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
LOL!!!!!!! So he really basis his argument off of 2.3 ............ I'm not even going to waste my time with this troll. Kick rocks fanboy

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
First off, I've watched the whole video

Two...since this video isn't even enough (even though the date should give it away that they were taking about the future of Android beyond Gingerbread since it was already out on the Nexus S at that time....). They kept mentioning in the actual code.google.com site (Issue 6914 - android - Make android use the GPU (if available) for UI and browsing. - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting) that Honeycomb was accelerated when clearly it still suffered from lag horribly...

And can we grow up with the fanboy crap..seriously...I still carry my Nexus S and and open to all platforms; heck, if you want I'll give you a huge list of all flaws of all the competing mobile OSes. Just because you get sensitive about it and take any criticisms about the precious Android OS that "has no flaws"........

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
So once again, we are talking about a different OS version, and a submission from March 2010. Before the video was even out.

How many updates have we seen since then? Was Honeybcomb out then?

PS, this report was closed January 11th of 2011.

Owner: romaingu...@gtempaccount.com
Closed: Jan 2011
Type-Enhancement
Priority-Medium

Alrighty then.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
So once again, we are talking about a different OS version, and a submission from March 2010. Before the video was even out.

How many updates have we seen since then? Was Honeybcomb out then?

PS, this report was closed January 11th of 2011.

Owner: romaingu...@gtempaccount.com
Closed: Jan 2011
Type-Enhancement
Priority-Medium

LOL PWND!!!!!!!

Alrighty then.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
lol....wow it's funny how people are getting so sensitive about a flaw an OS has...

Not at all. However you are complaining about shortcomings in an unreleased OS just announced and using dated issues and videos for different OS versions to back your thought process.

That would be like me noting shortcomings in Windows 8, and backing it up with articles about Windows 95.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon(475095)

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Like I said...I'm WANTING it to be true and things be smooth like iOS and Windows Phone...but I'm just stating what I've learned and why I don't think it will be what people are expecting when it's released for the Nexus S....

I'm still carrying my Nexus S 4G around, and it's hard not to go back because Gingerbread isn't slow itself (stock Gingerbread) and really ALMOST as smooth as WP7.5 or iOS and the hardware kills my Arrive. But there are little bugs that annoy me with my Nexus, like when playing Modern Combat 2 online the screen will stop responding to multi-touch controls and I have to lift my fingers off the screen for it to be responsive again. There are also times where the screen just doesn't respond to me at all; this has been an issue with all 4 of the Nexus S devices I've had (along with weaker 3G than my Arrive).

There was also an article that I posted here before that really backs up what I believe...http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=32294060

I'm not trying to troll, but just discuss things from my opinion..

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I've not read any of the links in this post, and also cannot comment on how the stock launcher is created. However, here is a snippet from the source: Android 4.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

Seems to me, any phone running Android 4 must support 2D hardware acceleration. Now, it's up to the devs to use it, and that's not Google's control:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware-accelerated 2D drawing

All Android-powered devices running Android 4.0 are required to support hardware-accelerated 2D drawing. Developers can take advantage of this to add great UI effects while maintaining optimal performance on high-resolution screens, even on phones. For example, developers can rely on accelerated scaling, rotation, and other 2D operations, as well as accelerated UI components such as TextureView and compositing modes such as filtering, blending, and opacity.

BuffaloMadMan

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
No one has even had a chance to play with ics so I don't understand why you are saying its not fluid....I personally think its hw accelerated but once we get this is peoples hands then we will find out more....for honeycomb everyone that plays with my xoom always comments on how fast it is....my friends and etc I really don't see lag are there bugs yes but not that much lag at least with my xoom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21