[GUIDE/VIDEO] Root Gingerbread on your Incredible 2 (2.3.3 ONLY!)

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Walkthrough
============================

Preliminary
==============================​
Using the following guide we will gain S-OFF, install a custom recovery (ClockworkMod), and get Superuser access (Sexy); through use of Revolutionary.
The utility it was created by AlphaRev and unrevoked, all credit goes to them.
Consider donating to them if you feel so inclined, they do a lot for the community!

!!NOTICE!!
Please realize that there are risks involved. Anything that happens to your phone, which includes but is not limited to; Bird Flu, Smallpox, and Anthrax exposure, is in no way anyone on this site's responsibility, proceed with caution.

Also: I did all of this on a Windows machine, any Linux/Mac-dependent situations that I've missed feel free to fill in.

Files needed

Before starting the process download these files:

Note: Windows Users must download and install HTC Fastboot Drivers beforehand. [HERE]

Download Superuser zip and put it on the root of your SD Card (or in a folder if so so prefer, just remember where) [DOWNLOAD HERE]

Download Revolutionary for your selected OS [HERE]
Note: Leave the page open as we will need it while running Revolutionary.

Rooting Process

1. Extract and Run Revolutionary
Revolutionary will start and say "Waiting for device..."
Enable USB Debugging ( Settings > Applications > USB Development )
Disable Fastboot ( Settings > Power )
Plug in your Incredible 2

2. Serial Number and Beta Key
Revolutionary will give you your device's Serial number, on the page you downloaded Revolutionary there should now be a blue box, below the download links.
Select your OS, Device, HBOOT Version, and then input the Serial number and proceed.
You will be given a Beta Key you need to input in Revolutionary and then proceed.

3. Wait
Revolutionary should boot your phone into HBOOT a couple times.
After some time it should now read "-Revolutionary-" at the top of your HBOOT screen.
Revolutionary should ask you whether you'd like to flash ClockworkMod (You do).

*****If ClockworkMod fails to download or flash you can do it manually [GUIDE]*****

4. Install Superuser and Reboot
After Revolutionary is done talking about Lemons and Lemonade you can scroll down (Volume) on the HBOOT screen to "Recovery" and select it (Power).
This should boot you into ClockworkMod
Scroll down and select to "install zip from sdcard">"choose zip from sdcard" then select the "su-2.3.6..." zip file.
After it's all done back out of the menus and reboot.
Check in your app draw for the "superuser" app to ensure you are rooted.

Congrats, you should now be rooted!

Have trouble with the guide? Either post your experience here or take a quick look at unrevoked's Common Problems & Questions HERE.

Want to unroot? Check out this thread.

Last edited:

drbg781

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Root Gingerbread on your Incredible 2

Thanks for sharing the info. I'm really wanting to try this and get rid of bloat, but I think I'll wait for a few other brave, and appreciated, souls to have success then I'll jump in the pool. I'm also new to rooting HTC phones as I just came from Samsung. Think I want to read a little more to make sure I understand everything.

Thanks again!!!!

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

That is basically the steps I used, however CWM was not downloading so I had to flash manually, but that was fairly simple. I was rooted, s-off, backed up and CM7 installed in about an hour after the Revolution today. This phone is a beast when overclocked, but there is really no need to do it.

There was a handy thread at XDA that had all the details for flashing CWM manually. [Info] After Revolutionary: install Clockworkmod, root & more - xda-developers

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

I'm having a little trouble understanding the directions on XDA...do you know if there is a more "layman's friendly" how-to on AC?

Hold tight, just did it on my phone and writing out a guide right now!

drbg781

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Hold tight, just did it on my phone and writing out a guide right now!

No worries homie! I actually had no problems following your original instructions and am happily rooted. Obviously I didn't wait. I just figured others would have the same confusions I did...especially with so many of us former Samsung users flooding these DInc2 forums.

Thanks for your help!

kavtalk

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site

Followed your instruction and in 15 min I had mine rooted just fine. CWM downloaded successfully on the first try. Thanks!
//drbg781 yes it is permanent root; i.e. root won't go away after reboot.

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

Mini-Guide: If Revolutionary fails to install ClockworkMod [SOURCE] -- Thanks, ABQNM!

To flash CWM manually we need these two:

First Fastboot and adb tool: [WINDOWS] [LINUX]
Second ClockworkMod Recovery: [HERE]

1. Extract the contents of the first (the zip file) to somewhere easy to access. In my case I'll use my desktop as an example, I placed the contents of "android-win-tools" on my desktop.
2. Now place the "cwm-x.x.x.x-vivow.img" file you downloaded on your desktop too.
3. Open command prompt/terminal. (Start > type "cmd' under search and hit "Enter" on Windows) and navigate to your desktop. (More than likely just type "cd desktop", hit Enter and you'll be there)
4. Leave command prompt open
5. Make sure your phone is off (battery pull ensures that for me).
6. Hold down Power and Volume Down, phone will start and bring up HBOOT, wait for sdcard checks to clear (weird green text).
7. Now plug the USB in to your computer and phone and press power button once.
"HBOOT" text will change to "Fastboot" and then "Fastboot USB".. we're in business.
8. Now in your command prompt/teminal type:
fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-vivow.img
(I shouldn't have to say it, but if the numbers are different on your .img file, use your's not mine.)
Hit enter.
9. Magic pixies will rush CWM to your phone, bringing all it's recovery goodness.
10. Unplug USB, hit Power once, then wait again for that green text to flash, now move down to "Recovery" and hit the Power button.

BAM.

Last edited:

CJ Rules

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Thank You! One of the best guides I've used. Simple and worked like a charm. Finally Free!

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

This is specifically for 2.3.3 as noted in my original post.

Just shutting down should be fine if Fastboot is disabled. ( Settings > Power )

sublimez

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Thank you so very much! Very easy to follow guide and worked without a hiccup on my 2 week old phone! Makes me feel alot better about coming from my Fascinate.

ider1234

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site

Stupid question but how hard would it be to go back to stock everything just in case something hardware based goes wrong and I need to return the phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa