Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 70 of 70
Like Tree6Likes
  1. #51  
    tack's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,379 Global Posts

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Glad you got it. I could not actually follow the procedure as my phone was s-off months ago.
  2. #52  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    I would like to thank everyone who helped out. This thread helped me figure this out in a couple of hours, not to bad for a first try i would like to think, but very helpfull
  3. #53  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Yeah I downgraded and did S-Off yesterday and flashed the Virtuous Unity 2.39 Sense 3.0 ROM and am loving it. The only thing that stinks is setting everything back up but doing this got rid of a lot of apps I never really used anymore.
  4. #54  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Quote Originally Posted by tack View Post
    I am going to try. I might break this into multiple replies and might not get them all up tonight. I will assume you are in Windows 7 for all of this! I did use an Ubuntu Live CD to do the s-off procedure, but I think there is revolutionary instructions for Windows.

    (1) First enable USB debugging on your phone by going to Settings->Applications->Development. Then turn off fastboot by going to Settings->Power (this is different than the fastboot mode choice once in recovery, which is used with the fastboot.exe that is part of the Android SDK.)

    (2) Next install the HTC USB Driver for the Droid Incredible 2. You can find the download link in the XDA downgrade thread at [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers

    (3) Install the Android SDK, which will include ADB and Fastboot. You can find the instructions and the download link here: What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK

    You can skip the USB driver install because you have what you need from Step (2). Fastboot is in the platform tools folder. I just moved adb.exe and adbwinapi.dll from the tools folder to the platform tools folder so they are in the same location as fastboot. I also place any files I am flashing to the phone, etc in that same folder. It just makes is easier to change to that folder at the command prompt and execute commands from there. (The easy way to open the folder at the command prompt in Windows 7 is to hold down shift and right click the folder. You will get a command window option.)

    At this point you should have a C:\android-sdk-windows folder and the necessary files under it. If you have trouble to here, I don't think you should go any further.

    As an alternative to step (3), and easier, is to download attn1's kit from [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers. It contains the files necessary to run adb and fastboot without installing the Android SDK. The key is to put all of the files from his kit under .\tools\win in the same folder as the files in the root folder of his kit (namely misc_version, zergRush, etc). Put them in c:\adb would be my suggestion.

    Assuming you did the paragraph above, which I recommend. Do the following:

    (4) Open the command prompt and change to c:\adb. Connect your phone via USB as charge only. You should have USB debugging enabled per the above. Manually execute the commands from attn1's downgrade thread. Namely:

    adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*
    adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRush
    adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
    fastboot reboot

    At this point, you should have downgraded your hboot and can gain s-off.

    (5) Attn1's thread also contains the link to gaining s-off and installing cwm (clockworkmod recovery) using Revolutionary: Revolutionary

    You should be able to run this per the instructions there. This will set security off and install the clockwordmod recovery. You can follow this thread for more thorough instructions: [How to] Root Your DInc2 Tutorial! (2.3.3 GB Only) - xda-developers

    At this point you are downgraded with s-off and clockworkdmod installed. You now have everything you need to flash ROMs, etc.

    (6) You should read about flashing ROMs, etc here: Ox's noob corner (work in progress)- everything you need to get started right here - xda-developers

    There are other resources if you search.

    (7) You get into recovery by turning off your phone. Then hold volume down and power on. Then you use the volume keys to move the cursor up and down one in the bootloader. Use the power button to choose options. The same goes for once you are in recovery. You should see an option called "recovery" once booted into the bootloader. This will run CWM. The first thing you should do is do a nandroid backup in the backup and recovery menu. Make sure you have a least 1 GB free on your SD-card (I keep 4 GB for experimenting with ROMs). This will backup your stock ROM setup.

    (8) Now you can reboot, download ROMs to your SD card and flash them as instructed. Good luck.
    Make us a video!!!! Please
    United States Air Force
  5. #55  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    i'm trying to take my incredible 2 back to stock so that i can sell it to a patron from craigslist. when i try to run the hack this is what i get...

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\adb.exe copy
    tools\win\adb.exe C:\Windows
    Access is denied.
    0 file(s) copied.

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\AdbWinApi.dll
    copy tools\win\AdbWinApi.dll C:\Windows
    Access is denied.
    0 file(s) copied.

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\AdbWinUsbApi.
    dll copy tools\win\AdbWinUsbApi.dll C:\Windows
    Access is denied.
    0 file(s) copied.

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\fastboot.exe
    copy tools\win\fastboot.exe C:\Windows
    Access is denied.
    0 file(s) copied.

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>if /I NOT EXIST C:\Windows\sleep.exe cop
    y tools\win\sleep.exe C:\Windows
    Access is denied.
    0 file(s) copied.

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*
    error: device not found

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRu
    sh
    error: device not found

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/mi
    sc_version
    error: device not found

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zerg
    Rush
    error: device not found

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc
    _version
    error: device not found

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush
    error: device not found

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>echo Sleeping 10 secs while adb restarts
    on the device....
    Sleeping 10 secs while adb restarts on the device....

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>sleep 10

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/l
    ocal/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'
    error: device not found

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>adb reboot bootloader
    error: device not found

    C:\Users\My Computer\Desktop\Root Inc 2>fastboot oem rebootRUU
    < waiting for device >
    anyone have an idea why this might be?
  6. #56  
    sjpritch25's Avatar

    Posts
    115 Posts
    ROM
    MIUI 1.11.4.1

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Quote Originally Posted by mistah_mumford View Post
    i'm trying to take my incredible 2 back to stock so that i can sell it to a patron from craigslist. when i try to run the hack this is what i get...



    anyone have an idea why this might be?
    I assume its S-OFF. You need to search for the tutorial to get back to s-on. That is the tutorial to downgrade to get s-off.
    two totally different things.
    Droid Incredible 2 (S-OFF)
    Android Version 4.2.2
    Evervolv-Conor-3.2.0-Nightly-2013.05.05
    Kernal 3.076-evervolv nightlies
    Oc 1.4mhz
  7. #57  
    tack's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,379 Global Posts

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Quote Originally Posted by turb0wned View Post
    Make us a video!!!! Please
    Sorry but I have jumped ships to the dark side. I have moved to a 4S.
  8. #58  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Quote Originally Posted by tack View Post
    Sorry but I have jumped ships to the dark side. I have moved to a 4S.
    Turn coat.....
  9. #59  
    tack's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,379 Global Posts

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Quote Originally Posted by valorian View Post
    Turn coat.....
    Guilty... and missing the flexibility of Android a bit already!

    There are advantages and disadvantages of each platform. I could use any of them, but I highly suspect I will be back to Android in the next 6 months to a year.
  10. #60  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Quote Originally Posted by DougieFresh-sr20ve View Post
    Well I'll be damned....I figured it out!! Thanks for all the help!!!
    How did you figure it out? Im stuck where you were
  11. #61  
    sjpritch25's Avatar

    Posts
    115 Posts
    ROM
    MIUI 1.11.4.1

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Quote Originally Posted by uscsailor View Post
    How did you figure it out? Im stuck where you were
    its called google

    Here it is
    [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers
    Droid Incredible 2 (S-OFF)
    Android Version 4.2.2
    Evervolv-Conor-3.2.0-Nightly-2013.05.05
    Kernal 3.076-evervolv nightlies
    Oc 1.4mhz
  12. #62  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Has any one tried this on the new Red DInc II?
    The rep told me it will have 4GB of internal memory as well as the pre installed 8GB SD Card.
    That sounded too much like the DInc I that I gave my wife. He said that it is the Red DInc II.
    We will know by Tuesday...
  13. #63  
    Theot's Avatar

    Posts
    205 Posts
    ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Quote Originally Posted by tack View Post
    OK, here are some links:

    Downgrade hboot 0.98 - [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers

    Root - [How to] Root Your DInc2 Tutorial! (2.3.3 GB Only) - xda-developers

    The iPhone jailbreak is more automated and straight forward, but gives you less flexibility. I am not an expert by far, but I did figure it out myself with lots of web based research. I will give you what I know, and I won't guarantee to know it all or get it all right. I am not an Android or Linux expert.

    You need to gain s-off before you can gain root access. S-off turns off security that allows you to gain root and flash any ROM.

    You then want to install a recovery image like Clockworkmod. This allows you to clear cache, flash ROMs, backup and restore (nandroid backups).

    Then you can backup your stock configuration and start flashing ROMs. As far as I know, you cannot gain root access with stock 2.3.4. You will want to try out a few ROMs. Make sure you backup. If you want global access, I recommend Skyraider Zeus or RMK's Gingersense. Both are sense ROMs with Skyraider having hybrid sens 2.1 and 3.0 features. You speed and battery life will be amazing compared to stock.

    If you don't travel international, the world is open with choices. I like CM7 myself. Miui is quite popular also. Then there is Virtuous Unity and Mikmik ROMs. Several others.

    Do your research before asking questions. Break it into small steps of learning. You will get there. XDA and rootzwiki have a ton of resource. Read, read, and read!
    Quote Originally Posted by tack View Post
    I am going to try. I might break this into multiple replies and might not get them all up tonight. I will assume you are in Windows 7 for all of this! I did use an Ubuntu Live CD to do the s-off procedure, but I think there is revolutionary instructions for Windows.

    (1) First enable USB debugging on your phone by going to Settings->Applications->Development. Then turn off fastboot by going to Settings->Power (this is different than the fastboot mode choice once in recovery, which is used with the fastboot.exe that is part of the Android SDK.)

    (2) Next install the HTC USB Driver for the Droid Incredible 2. You can find the download link in the XDA downgrade thread at [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers

    (3) Install the Android SDK, which will include ADB and Fastboot. You can find the instructions and the download link here: What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK

    You can skip the USB driver install because you have what you need from Step (2). Fastboot is in the platform tools folder. I just moved adb.exe and adbwinapi.dll from the tools folder to the platform tools folder so they are in the same location as fastboot. I also place any files I am flashing to the phone, etc in that same folder. It just makes is easier to change to that folder at the command prompt and execute commands from there. (The easy way to open the folder at the command prompt in Windows 7 is to hold down shift and right click the folder. You will get a command window option.)

    At this point you should have a C:\android-sdk-windows folder and the necessary files under it. If you have trouble to here, I don't think you should go any further.

    As an alternative to step (3), and easier, is to download attn1's kit from [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers. It contains the files necessary to run adb and fastboot without installing the Android SDK. The key is to put all of the files from his kit under .\tools\win in the same folder as the files in the root folder of his kit (namely misc_version, zergRush, etc). Put them in c:\adb would be my suggestion.

    Assuming you did the paragraph above, which I recommend. Do the following:

    (4) Open the command prompt and change to c:\adb. Connect your phone via USB as charge only. You should have USB debugging enabled per the above. Manually execute the commands from attn1's downgrade thread. Namely:

    adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*
    adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRush
    adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
    fastboot reboot

    At this point, you should have downgraded your hboot and can gain s-off.

    (5) Attn1's thread also contains the link to gaining s-off and installing cwm (clockworkmod recovery) using Revolutionary: Revolutionary

    You should be able to run this per the instructions there. This will set security off and install the clockwordmod recovery. You can follow this thread for more thorough instructions: [How to] Root Your DInc2 Tutorial! (2.3.3 GB Only) - xda-developers

    At this point you are downgraded with s-off and clockworkdmod installed. You now have everything you need to flash ROMs, etc.

    (6) You should read about flashing ROMs, etc here: Ox's noob corner (work in progress)- everything you need to get started right here - xda-developers

    There are other resources if you search.

    (7) You get into recovery by turning off your phone. Then hold volume down and power on. Then you use the volume keys to move the cursor up and down one in the bootloader. Use the power button to choose options. The same goes for once you are in recovery. You should see an option called "recovery" once booted into the bootloader. This will run CWM. The first thing you should do is do a nandroid backup in the backup and recovery menu. Make sure you have a least 1 GB free on your SD-card (I keep 4 GB for experimenting with ROMs). This will backup your stock ROM setup.

    (8) Now you can reboot, download ROMs to your SD card and flash them as instructed. Good luck.
    Just got a Dinc2 as a warranty replacement last friday. Thanks to these posts (and a youtube video to make sure I was doing it right) I was able to find everything I need to downgrade and root my Dinc2. Being new to an HTC phone this was a big help. Thanks for the posts!
  14. #64  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    So I just received a replacement device yesterday.
    I rooted my old phone a couple of months ago and had to do this downgrade then and everything worked fine.

    Now, however, it won't work. I run the script as admin in cmd and everything seems to go fine until it tries to flash the old RUU. Here's what I get.

    C:\adb>fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_
    1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
    sending 'zip' (292817 KB)... OKAY [ 51.352s]
    writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this i
    mage...
    INFOsignature checking...
    INFOzip header checking...
    INFOzip info parsing...
    INFOchecking model ID...
    INFOchecking custom ID...
    [HL]INFOchecking main version...
    FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)[/HL]

    finished. total time: 96.329s

    C:\adb>fastboot reboot
    rebooting...
    finished. total time: 0.194s
    C:\adb>

    I highlighted what I think is the problem. It reboots but is still on 2.3.4

    Any help would be MUCH appreciated
  15. #65  
    sjpritch25's Avatar

    Posts
    115 Posts
    ROM
    MIUI 1.11.4.1

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Probably a bad download. I would re-download and try again.
    Droid Incredible 2 (S-OFF)
    Android Version 4.2.2
    Evervolv-Conor-3.2.0-Nightly-2013.05.05
    Kernal 3.076-evervolv nightlies
    Oc 1.4mhz
  16. #66  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Quote Originally Posted by sjpritch25 View Post
    Probably a bad download. I would re-download and try again.
    tried that, checked the md5, it all appears to be normal...
  17. #67  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    I have two theories
    1) Verizon changed the software version on me, in which case I'm SOL until someone at xda hears about it and updates the way to get s-off
    2) Verizon sent me a refurbished phone of someone who likes to root and messed up the software somehow.

    For now I'll keep searching the internet for alternative solutions/explanations. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by quino machine; 05-01-2012 at 05:43 PM.
  18. #68  
    sjpritch25's Avatar

    Posts
    115 Posts
    ROM
    MIUI 1.11.4.1

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Are you on .98 bootloader?
    Droid Incredible 2 (S-OFF)
    Android Version 4.2.2
    Evervolv-Conor-3.2.0-Nightly-2013.05.05
    Kernal 3.076-evervolv nightlies
    Oc 1.4mhz
  19. #69  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    Yes, still .98
  20. #70  

    Default Re: Been researching root for 2.3.4 for hours now

    I keep getting stuck at the same command. My phone is S-ON. I have no idea what to do. I used the tool linked but it still didn't work. Help, lol.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sjpritch25 View Post
    I assume its S-OFF. You need to search for the tutorial to get back to s-on. That is the tutorial to downgrade to get s-off.
    two totally different things.
    I keep getting stuck at the same command. My phone is S-ON. I have no idea what to do. I used the tool linked but it still didn't work. Help, lol.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions