Droid Incredible 2 will not launch after root and custom rom

bccolema

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone using revolutionary, obtained S-OFF, clockworkmod, and Superuser

i then downloaded rom manager and used it to install cyanogen. CM7 did not include the android market (not sure if this was something I did incorrectly or random error).

since cm7 was not working i thought doing a factory reset would fix and install new rom. i tried Nils Business Sense because after reading it, it looked like some incredible 2 users enjoyed it. I copied the zip file to my sd card rebooted in fastboot.

followed these directions:

Put it on your SD Card
Reboot into recovery
Nandroid backup (this was not in the instructions but I thought it was important)
Factory reset on main menu
Format System on mount menu
Flash the current version of this ROM
Boot ROM

when i try and reboot, my phone only makes it to the white htc screen when your phone boots and freezes. I left it there for 5+ minutes and still nothing, so i removed the battery and tried repeating still didnt work.

I have tried reading around the internet to see if i can find a fix but i havent found anything that seemed to be the same situation. watched videos and it looks like i followed the same steps as they did but without the finish result of a working custom rom.

any help would be awesome, my phone is currently F***d.
Sorry if this is in the wrong place wasnt sure where to ask questions

bccolema

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
if this happens to anyone, pretty sure its due to a corrupt rom or could be as easy a stupid mistake as trying to use a rom for a different phone...I have learned alot about android today, way more than i thought i needed to root my phone.

jail breaking iphone is cake work compared to android, being able to customize everything is scary

droid noob

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to rooting, but I don't remember doing a "mount to menu" option each time I've flashed a new rom. This could also be because I've never used the rom manager either.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

droid noob

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping that "mount to menu" isn't anything to do with partitioning the sd card. I've heard that bricks devices.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

street_rabbit

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Had the same issue with cynogen when I first rooted my Inc 2. Wasn't sure if its not compatible with certain roms or what. But I downloaded superuser (which cynogen didn't have) and re flashed the Rom Nd it worked. Be sure to turn off fastboot in the settings menu otherwise it won't boot correctly and you'll be stuck on the flash screen. Dnt worry though, it doesn't sound like u bricked ur phone.

Superuser zip url

http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip

Once u flash Su, reboot and let the phone boot. U will be on froyo. Go to settings and turn off fastboot.
Turn off phone and boot into recovery. Once u have clockwork u can access most features of ur phone from here, including mounting ur sd card to ur comp. (I personally flash through recovery vs Rom manager. This way u know its done right.) Mount the USB via recovery and delete the previous Rom, flash over the same rom or a different one and be sure its compatible with ur phone. Unmount the USB and install from sd. Scroll down and install Rom. Reboot and let load. The first boot may take a few minutes. Be patient. Note that without superuser, Roms won't work, u dnt have a way to authorize su access to apps and Roms. Good luck.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you were not using Clockwork Recovery? You listed steps that have parallel steps in clockwork mod.

Hold down power and volume down this should boot you into the hboot then wait a minute until it settles and go into recovery. From there wipe, wipe cache, go to advanced and wipe dalvik cache

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jessicalt1

street_rabbit

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
No I just neglected to mention the obvious steps. I dnt have time to go into complete detail. I wrote that post before I left for work. Before I downloaded the update for the Rom I'm currently using, there was a bug that disabled the USB mount. So I had to use recovery to access the sd. And I did forget to mention emptying the caches. Big deal when flashing roms, good catch. However the steps I did describe need to be done. That's how I fixed my issue when I first rooted. PLUS: IF YOU DON'T ROOT CORRECTLY IT CAN MAKE USING CUSTOM ROMS IMPOSSIBLE. Make sure your device is rooted correctly. I'd recommend getting a root check off the android market. Fyi I used alpha rev to root my phone.

djaquez21

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Before flashing any new ROM, remember to wipe all data, cache and the system, unless you're upgrading to a newer version of the same ROM, which sometimes still requires a full wipe. Or else it'll probably work incorrectly and give problems like you're experiencing.

As for your USB mount problem, go to the market and download Automount, it will allow your phone to connect to a computer.

As for the menu, mounting is for reading/writing the system, so that's not necessary to flash a ROM.

Not to mention that everything you do when flashing is either done in HBOOT (Radios) or Recovery (Zip files). Fast boot is just making the phone reboot faster.

By the way, consider getting 4EXT, it's a recovery, and works a lot better than ClockWorkMod. If you need any other help get at me. :)

Last edited:

sjpritch25

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone using revolutionary, obtained S-OFF, clockworkmod, and Superuser

i then downloaded rom manager and used it to install cyanogen. CM7 did not include the android market (not sure if this was something I did incorrectly or random error).

since cm7 was not working i thought doing a factory reset would fix and install new rom. i tried Nils Business Sense because after reading it, it looked like some incredible 2 users enjoyed it. I copied the zip file to my sd card rebooted in fastboot.

followed these directions:

Put it on your SD Card
Reboot into recovery
Nandroid backup (this was not in the instructions but I thought it was important)
Factory reset on main menu
Format System on mount menu
Flash the current version of this ROM
Boot ROM

when i try and reboot, my phone only makes it to the white htc screen when your phone boots and freezes. I left it there for 5+ minutes and still nothing, so i removed the battery and tried repeating still didnt work.

I have tried reading around the internet to see if i can find a fix but i havent found anything that seemed to be the same situation. watched videos and it looks like i followed the same steps as they did but without the finish result of a working custom rom.

any help would be awesome, my phone is currently F***d.
Sorry if this is in the wrong place wasnt sure where to ask questions

Did you check the md5 before flashing? If not, it could of been just a corrupt download. its happened to me before, but you made a backup so that's is good. When moving from AOSP to Sense, i recommend formatting all partitions (except of course sdcard). 4ext recovery makes it much easier too. Then i wipe data and flash sense rom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463