S-OFF Achieved for Permanent Root (AlphaRev Team)

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Congrats to all you Dinc2 users who have been waiting for root, it was only a matter of time before the Android community came through for you. Now you guys can finally get some custom ROM (CM7!?) awesomeness. :cool:

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm still kinda new to the whole Droid thing, coming from a Blackberry. What exactly does "engineering bootloader" mean?

I'm in the same boat. I recent came from a BB Bold and now I'm a bit confused as to all the advantages of this. So far, all I can see as a benefit is that you can remove the bloatware Verizon drops on these devices. Other than that, I dont know the other benefits...

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I recent came from a BB Bold and now I'm a bit confused as to all the advantages of this. So far, all I can see as a benefit is that you can remove the bloatware Verizon drops on these devices. Other than that, I dont know the other benefits...

Aside from removing bloatware you can use apps like Root Explorer and Adfeee Android, and you can also install and run custom ROM's. There aren't any ROM's for the available for the Dinc2 yet, but now that you have permanant root it's only a matter of time.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Aside from removing bloatware you can use apps like Root Explorer and Adfeee Android, and you can also install and run custom ROM's. There aren't any ROM's for the available for the Dinc2 yet, but now that you have permanant root it's only a matter of time.

forgive me ignorance on the subject, but what is a custom ROM? And what is Root Explorer and adfeee Android???

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
forgive me ignorance on the subject, but what is a custom ROM?

A stock ROM is the version of the phone’s operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it.

A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc – everything you need to operate the device, except it’s customized by someone in some way.

So what does the "customized" part mean? Since Android is open source, developers are free to take stock ROMs, modify them, strip them of garbage, optimize them, add things, and pretty much do whatever their imagination and skills allow

And what is Root Explorer and adfeee Android???

Root Explorer is an app in the market,,and is a file manager for rooted users. You can access the whole of android's file system (including the elusive data folder!).

Adfree is an app in the market , works on rooted phones and removes ads

AdFree removes most ads in the browser and other apps. It does this by nullifying requests to known host names in the system hosts file

sttngagt

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Nice. Now just waiting for an install file to auto root for this. I've never rooted before, first Droid. I had a BB before this baby, not sure if those can be rooted. But anyways, not personally wanting to manually root, on account I would prob screw it up. Haha

SpringRyan

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
A stock ROM is the version of the phone’s operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it.

A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc – everything you need to operate the device, except it’s customized by someone in some way.

So what does the "customized" part mean? Since Android is open source, developers are free to take stock ROMs, modify them, strip them of garbage, optimize them, add things, and pretty much do whatever their imagination and skills allow

Root Explorer is an app in the market,,and is a file manager for rooted users. You can access the whole of android's file system (including the elusive data folder!).

Adfree is an app in the market , works on rooted phones and removes ads
Can I root, kill all the bloatware and unroot and be just as good as before?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Can I root, kill all the bloatware and unroot and be just as good as before?
If I wanted to stay on the stock rom and instead of removing the bloatware.

I would root and freeze all the bloatware with Titanium Backup Pro and not flash a custom rom.

Really dont need to unroot once you freeze bloatware,even if you wish to stay on stock rom.

Rooting alone basically just allows you to have admin. previlages on your phone,like having administrative permissions on your computer

sent using TaPaTaLk

Reactions: Astrodroid