Who's not using screen protection?

gcims

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
search youtube incredible screen scratch test (etc) tere is a video of a guy abusing his Inc w/ coins, keys and knives.

No screen protector here or ever on my Storm 1

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Just finished installing my ghost-armor screen protector. AWESOME. i love this company. Their skins are fantastic. absolutely NO sensitivity loss in the screen.

Def very good stuff.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I tried a screen protector once on my S1 a couldn't stand it so it came right off and I never had a scratch on the S1, Droid, or Incredible.

danidiva

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
i am the clumsiest girl EVER and i do NOT have a screen protector. I have the HTC Hero, not sure if the screens are different, but i also bought it at Best Buy and pay for Black Tie Protection, which means it will be fixed for free if something happens to it. No problems yet tho... knock on wood! lol

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Screen protectors scratch and make the phone look used and abused. Believers look at this and think boy, I'm glad I had that on or my phone would look that bad, and they run out and get another protector and feel all smug and happy.

The truth is tho, that the glass screens don't scratch. Unless of course you wear your diamond ring stone down.

It won't protect against drops.

Its that simple.

Screen protectors offer no real protection, make a lot of people a lot of money. They are totally un-necessary. Even Apple has officially abandoned the idea and no longer sell them.

If you insist you need a screen protector, what you REALLY need a flip case or a pouch case. That's right, if your phone environment is THAT hostile, you need more protection than a thin piece of plastic.

Now if you LIKE the bubble look of entrapped air and dust, that's fine. To each his own. But no one has posted a single shred of proof that a screen protector works.

sectachrome

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had one on for a couple days, but I peeled it off. It had some very slight imperfections that were barely noticeable, but they annoyed me enough. Its much nicer naked, and Im pretty careful with the phone, and know the glass should be pretty scratch resistant so Im not really worried about it.

brannong

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm one of the morons that keeps ordering these protectors. Just put one on my Incredible and it looks like crap. Bubbles all in it and it is driving me nuts. I am gonna rip it off just like I did the one that I purchased for the Storm.

I agree it is just a marketing ploy to sell more accessories and I have now fallen for it twice. But no more....

jared916

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
unless you guys cant follow directions there should be no bubbles. i just put my phantomskin on and there are no bubbles or other defects. now i wont have to deal with oily finger prints all the time or even have to worry about scratching my phone. with the case and a protector i will throw my phone in my pocket with knives,coins, or anything else cause i dont have to worry and its only $7. small price to pay

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
No screen protector, but have a case on it. Waiting for Seidio to release their Innocase II for the Incredible.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Screen protectors scratch and make the phone look used and abused. Believers look at this and think boy, I'm glad I had that on or my phone would look that bad, and they run out and get another protector and feel all smug and happy.

The truth is tho, that the glass screens don't scratch. Unless of course you wear your diamond ring stone down.

It won't protect against drops.

Its that simple.

Screen protectors offer no real protection, make a lot of people a lot of money. They are totally un-necessary. Even Apple has officially abandoned the idea and no longer sell them.

If you insist you need a screen protector, what you REALLY need a flip case or a pouch case. That's right, if your phone environment is THAT hostile, you need more protection than a thin piece of plastic.

Now if you LIKE the bubble look of entrapped air and dust, that's fine. To each his own. But no one has posted a single shred of proof that a screen protector works.

This is pretty much what I've come to believe.

ShannonDavis

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Obviously, varying opinions. Here's mine:

I don't and won't use a screen protector. I also had a Storm1. Never scratched. However, I tried one. It did not change the appearance nor the sensitivity. My decision was based solely on the ridiculous cost. The glass screen can scratch, but it takes a lot and you almost have to deliberately scratch it. I have dropped my storm from about 15 feet onto a concrete floor. I pieced it back together and it worked fine and no scratches after sliding approximately 10 feet.

My opinion: not necessary.

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Never have, and probably never will. I've had an iPod touch, Storm 1 & 2, Sony PSP, and Nintendo DS among other portable gadgets that haven't seen a single scratch all of these years!

kklein95#IM

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the Verizon one on until I read through this. Now it is off and I I use a sena case. I will put a full screen one on like on my ipod touch when they are available.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
As a matter of fact the only two devices I ever had issues with scratch on the screen was way back when the Game Boy and Sega Game Gear were still new and I had both of those. But they also had plastic screens ;)

pleeho

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I went back and looked at glass screens for my palm pilots (I have 4 of them, one from 1997, a Handspring Visor from around 2001, a Palm Treo, a Palm Centro), the glass screens from my unprotected iPod 30g, ipod 80g, ipod 120g all of which were UNPROTECTED.

My Conclusion: glass screens for my 7 devices above GOT SCRATCHED UP LIKE HELL with use, and this happened to ALL of my unprotected units.

I've had Zaggs on my iPod 160g, ipod Nano 16g, ipod touch 16g, ipod touch 64g, my Kindle2 & KindleDX, as well as my most recent cell phones & my digitalSLR view screens - If you keep your phone in a highly protective case you'll probably be fine but if you're totally naked your screen WILL GET SCRATCHED, and you might regret it very much. Just trying to help.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you need to take better care of you stuff lol, if you are that rough on things then maybe you should forget the screen protectors and pick up an OtterBox. And remember comparing a glass screen from 1997-2001 to a glass screen from 2010 isn't exactly the same thing. Screen technology has greatly increased.

Rumour has it that the screens HTC uses are from Corning which makes glass bowls for cooking etc. Not sure if it's even true. Either way I've had my phone in my pocket with keys and coins, then realized I had it in that pocket after about an hour working and panicked. Pulled the phone out and it didn't have a thing on it.

I believe screen protectors are one of those things that's a lap over item. One of those things you don't really need but did at one time because the screens weren't as good and scratched easier.

Something to read, it's talking about the Moto Droid, but I would believe the same tech has carried over to newer screens.

http://www.androidcentral.com/what-makes-droids-screen-so-tough-gorilla-glass-course

And from the makers themselves:
Gorilla Glass | Home

In the end it's damage resistant, meaning it can take a fall, a set of keys, or coins. But if you take something to it deliberately and try to scratch it, or if it take a really nasty spill then it will probably scratch. But how much more protected is it will a plastic soft film on it in those conditions? You decide.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's a small investment to make, depending on what screen protector you get, to have piece of mind. Sometimes piece of mind is worth the money. To me it's an unnecessary cost.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908