Beating A Dead Horse named Screen Protectors

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I know there are a number of threads on this, but some are older and most aren't very informative. Just posters saying, "I use X and its the best!" No offense, but that doesn't help me at all.

I'd rather not have a protector with a sticky side or one that uses any type of adhesive (including the spray versions like Zagg). My fiance has had an iPhone for a couple years, and she tried Zagg early on and they are more of a PITA than what they're worth.

I have looked through the previous threads, and these two have made my short list:

Clarivue Protector

SGP Steinheil Protector

Those seem to be two highly recommended/widely used. But does the Steinheil have a sticky/adhesive side? The instructions seem to indicate it does but haven't seen anyone mention in. If it does, I think my decision has been made.

Also, what about the Verizon ones listed below? I've heard mixed reviews of them, but not sure if a protector for JUST the main screen will be good enough regardless:

Verizon Privacy Protector

Any help or alternate suggestions would be appreciated. And please provide links where applicable, and also review your choice (good and bad) as well. Thanks.

BigpappaJ

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am currently using the a "techskin" from "Skinomi". I was apprehensive about buying it because it does use a spray and was kind of spending for a single screen protector ($10)

I can say though after having taken the time to actually follow the directions (not that hard really... took like 1 min literally) that it went great. The micro bubbles you have at first have completely disappeared and I can't even tell its there. It is a little tacky at first, but that as well goes away after a couple days and is as smooth as before I put it on.

I also like the fact that it is a full frontal protector... some will say you don't really need anything but the screen covered, and while true, the rest of the front can be scratched, and I enjoy the whole front being protected. It also fits very well, the cutouts are exact and it stretches just to the very edges of the device.

As of yet... about a week and a half on it, I don't have any crevices where dirt has been able to build up, and have not noticed any adverse effects touch wise on the device itself, the screen and buttons are still very responsible and never miss a touch.

Hope this helps you out!

Last edited:

justinandroid

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I am currently using the Verizon Screen protectors.

I originally went with the Skinomi as they looked to have good reviews and good overall features. Price was right at $10 from Amazon. Everything was fine...install is not the easiest in the world just due to having to use liquid and squeegee and such. Not the end of the world, but I would not say it was "easy". I got it on almost perfectly straight and let it set overnight and everything just as the directions say.

I ran into issues when I put the Verizon silicon case back on the phone where the corners of the Skinomi kept coming up and bubbling. Lived with it for a few days, but then it was just frustrating to have a brand new phone, everything perfect except for the screen protector corners. Wrote to Skinomi and let them know what was happening. Within the hour I think I had a reply giving some tips to apply so the corners would stick, and also that they were sending out a brand new kit, as part of the lifetime warranty. No questions asked. So customer service is a huge huge A+. I tried the new screen protector, but unfortunately it just did kinda the same thing when I put the case on.

Then decided on the Verizon protectors as they do not go all the way to the corners. Plus no liquid to install, just peel and stick. Has been on or over a month and could not be happier. Would not know it is even on the phone (I think even clearer than the Skinomi).

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but just wanted to give an honest review and opinion.

BigpappaJ

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the counterpoint Justin... I use a silicon skin on my device and haven't had any of the corner issues that you described. Nice to know if I do have any issues that their customer service will be on top of it. Thanks.

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried the Zagg and did not like the feel and the fact that the corner peeled back when I put it in a holster. I am using SGP Steinheil Protector crystal clear and like it. It seems to work well with the Verizon Silicone case I have on also. The only thing I don't like is the rainbow effect from the finger oils.

IncrediBill

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used the Clarivue or the Verizon protectors but I have the Steinheil crystal on mine and have used Zagg in the past. The Steinheil is excellent, as smooth as glass and looks the same. It does have an adhesive, their website states:

"Steinheil has a premium silicon adhesive - bubble free application."

Works for me, I'm not inclined to buy anything else for mine after using these.

Vagrant_1

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am currently using the a "techskin" from "Skinomi". I was apprehensive about buying it because it does use a spray and was kind of spending for a single screen protector ($10)

I can say though after having taken the time to actually follow the directions (not that hard really... took like 1 min literally) that it went great. The micro bubbles you have at first have completely disappeared and I can't even tell its there. It is a little tacky at first, but that as well goes away after a couple days and is as smooth as before I put it on.

I also like the fact that it is a full frontal protector... some will say you don't really need anything but the screen covered, and while true, the rest of the front can be scratched, and I enjoy the whole front being protected. It also fits very well, the cutouts are exact and it stretches just to the very edges of the device.

As of yet... about a week and a half on it, I don't have any crevices where dirt has been able to build up, and have not noticed any adverse effects touch wise on the device itself, the screen and buttons are still very responsible and never miss a touch.

Hope this helps you out!

That's the same one I purchased but have yet to receive my phone to use it.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used the Clarivue or the Verizon protectors but I have the Steinheil crystal on mine and have used Zagg in the past. The Steinheil is excellent, as smooth as glass and looks the same. It does have an adhesive, their website states:

"Steinheil has a premium silicon adhesive - bubble free application."

Works for me, I'm not inclined to buy anything else for mine after using these.

Like I said, I'd rather stay away from any adhesives. Just a pain if it comes off, then there's all gunk on the phone. I think I'll try out the Clarivue. Comes in a pack of 3, and its held on by static cling. I'll have a hard silicon case so should work well with each other.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I use the chrome one from the guy in the middle of the mall no adhesive, just because it looks cool.......You don't need a screen protector unless you are putting diamonds in your pocket. Had to prove it to a Hillbilly stupid phone user at work,beat the screen with a key like there was no tomorrow and no scratches at all. Hillbilly still standing in the shop amazed.

Last edited:

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I've got to say it: If you take care of the phone, or if it won't be in the line of danger (like keys, sharp objects, long fingernails, and in some cases little children) then I don't think you need a screen protector.

I'm deferring back to my iDevice past, but I've owned two generations of the iPod touch. The first generation and the third (which I still own). Never put a screen protector on, for the reasons that you're looking for a non-adhesive protector. No scratches. i was able to sell the first gen last year as 'like new' on eBay.

These screens aren't anywhere near as easy to scratch as the old plastic Treo-era smartphone screens. Now obviously this won't apply to everyone here. Different people have different needs that require a screen protector, and you may be one of them. It really depends on where the phone will be when it isn't in your hands. Pockets? Will the pockets have keys? Or will it be reserved for the Incredible? I know my pocket is reserved.

Also, don't get me wrong; I'm completely for protecting the phone. I'm not one of the daredevils who walks around naked (the phone, of course:eek:). I have two cases for it. Just no screen protector.

Just my .02 cents...

IncrediBill

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, I'd rather stay away from any adhesives. Just a pain if it comes off, then there's all gunk on the phone. I think I'll try out the Clarivue. Comes in a pack of 3, and its held on by static cling. I'll have a hard silicon case so should work well with each other.

I removed the Steinheil and reapplied it with no problem at all, just a small piece of tape on the corner and lift. Whatever adhesive they use is very light, didn't leave any residue or gunk on the phone. I like it because there's no need for any liquid, it's a dry install, just make sure there's no dust on the screen.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I've got to say it: If you take care of the phone, or if it won't be in the line of danger (like keys, sharp objects, long fingernails, and in some cases little children) then I don't think you need a screen protector.

I'm deferring back to my iDevice past, but I've owned two generations of the iPod touch. The first generation and the third (which I still own). Never put a screen protector on, for the reasons that you're looking for a non-adhesive protector. No scratches. i was able to sell the first gen last year as 'like new' on eBay.

These screens aren't anywhere near as easy to scratch as the old plastic Treo-era smartphone screens. Now obviously this won't apply to everyone here. Different people have different needs that require a screen protector, and you may be one of them. It really depends on where the phone will be when it isn't in your hands. Pockets? Will the pockets have keys? Or will it be reserved for the Incredible? I know my pocket is reserved.

Also, don't get me wrong; I'm completely for protecting the phone. I'm not one of the daredevils who walks around naked (the phone, of course:eek:). I have two cases for it. Just no screen protector.

Just my .02 cents...

Thanks for the information! My Incredible should arrive later this week. I'd rather not use a screen protector, if possible. I don't like the feel of them. I was very careful with my XV6700, my XV6800, and now my Touch Pro 2. No noticeable scratches. I wonder how many other Incredible owners are opting to go without a screen protector?

I seem to notice more 'smudging' on the Touch Pro 2...and wonder whether I will see the same thing on the Incredible. Any comments? In any case, would a screen protector help reduce smudges?

Lastly, may I ask what cases you have? I want a case / holster combo. The VZW rep talked me into their ~$48 package that includes an AC adapter, three Verizon screen protectors (ugh), and their Shell / Holster Combo (VZW6300HOC). I haven't seen comments from anyone who might have this particular case/holster...and am wondering how it compares to (say) the Seidio Innocase II? (presumably with a compatible holster)

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the information! My Incredible should arrive later this week. I'd rather not use a screen protector, if possible. I don't like the feel of them. I was very careful with my XV6700, my XV6800, and now my Touch Pro 2. No noticeable scratches. I wonder how many other Incredible owners are opting to go without a screen protector?

I seem to notice more 'smudging' on the Touch Pro 2...and wonder whether I will see the same thing on the Incredible. Any comments? In any case, would a screen protector help reduce smudges?

Lastly, may I ask what cases you have? I want a case / holster combo. The VZW rep talked me into their ~$48 package that includes an AC adapter, three Verizon screen protectors (ugh), and their Shell / Holster Combo (VZW6300HOC). I haven't seen comments from anyone who might have this particular case/holster...and am wondering how it compares to (say) the Seidio Innocase II? (presumably with a compatible holster)
I have the case holster combo have used it fo 2 weeks at work has done a wonderful job...You won't regret it.

valhallasky

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Yes, you will notice LOTS of smudging on your screen if you're as anal-retentive as I am, and it'll take a lil' bit of elbow grease to get it off. Heck, the only reason I'm looking into screen protectors is to cut down on smudging and glare.

From all the forum posts I've read, the consensus seems to be that the Steinheil Crystal screen makes it far easier to wipe off smudges than the bare screen. The Anti Fingerprint version COMPLETELY eliminates all smudges and glare, but at the price of noticeable blurring of the screen.

Honestly, I think I'm just going to line my purse's phone pouch with microfiber cloth so it's always getting cleaned. You gentlemen could probably get away with stuffing a microfiber cloth in your pocket next to your phone. That, or line the inside of your holster with a cutout of the cloth and some glue to attach it.

Anyone know of some other screens that are decent at cutting down on glare and smudging?

anon(28010)

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a case and I stopped using a screen protector. I had the zagg but I just didn't like the way it looked. I just make sure to keep it in a separate pocket and I don't walk around with it in my hand. From my experience, talking while walking on sidewalk, through parking lot, etc. is the fastest way to drop it. And I have dropped more phones on the bathroom floors in bars/clubs than I care to admit.

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been betting the hell out of my phone and finally gouged my ZAGG screen protecter. I went to the website logged in and just like that I get another one sent out. This is great all I have to do is mail my old one back in a regular envelope. This to me is huge because I would buy packs of screen protecters for my old phones and never think twice.