Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Default HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case

I got my HTC 2150mAH battery today from VZW. It's HUGE, but I've been thinking about how to make it more streamlined since I heard about it. Enter my dremel work.

Dremel out the rear of the VZW snap case to match the bulge on the new battery door. Sand it down smooth, and here you have it. It's pretty nice feeling, and it doesn't bulge out too much. It's still bulkier than before, however if you had a protective case already it isn't much of a difference.

Now, my phone looks good and holds a charge longer.

HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case-img_4102.jpg

HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case-img_4103.jpg

HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case-img_4108.jpg

HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case-img_4104.jpg

HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case-img_4105.jpg

NOTE:
    Decided to meet some of the demand and offer my modding to you guys.

I will do this on a per request basis for $45 including the case, and $25 if you mail me the case yourself. This includes shipping the case to you (you pay for shipping to me). If I grab the case myself, I simply run to the VZW store and pick on up, and this saves you on shipping to me.

PM me if you want me to do this. Just give me about 5 days or so turnaround time, as I have full time obligations elsewhere.
    Last edited by drPheta; 07-01-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    Thanked by 6:

Wow that's pretty sweet lookin

ROM
    Android Revolution Hd

Nice. Looks a lot better than the extended battery door alone.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Not a bad mod, but the case is meant to protect the battery covers "soft" touch finish too. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? With that aside is does look like a pretty nice job ya did.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Yeah, with this battery, you kind of can't have everything. Although, the soft back is easily replaceable, so this seems to be the best option so far.

Thanks guys. My dentist skills put to good use. Hah.

How much extra (over the cost of the case) would you charge to do that to a case for me? :O (That is, if you're willing)

nice work.
    Thanked by:

that's pretty nice work. if i get the new battery i'll consider doing something like this
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zabi View Post
    How much extra (over the cost of the case) would you charge to do that to a case for me? :O (That is, if you're willing)
    Too much. haha. Seriously, if you guys have a dremel and some patience you could do this. Took me about two hours to meticulously cut it out and get it just right.

Man, as one who has used a dremel a few times myself, I gotta say you're damn good with yours!!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

I have lots of practice. I'm a dentist, and a handpiece is simply an ultrafast dremel.

wow that looks really good. props

Great job! I'm tempted to get that battery just to try the mod!
    Banned

You, sir, are a mad scientist...anyone who can make that hunchback monstrosity look good deserves a lot of credit. Great mod, wish you were my next-door neighbor.

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Default Re: HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case

That looks damn good, I have two to yet it out on. I just hope it looks half as good as yours.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock, for now

Quote Originally Posted by rosariorose9 View Post
    Man, as one who has used a dremel a few times myself, I gotta say you're damn good with yours!!
    I was thinking the same thing. Of course he apparently grinds on teeth for a living, steady hands are a must I imagine.

looks much better then that horrible looking thing does without a case, great job

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by drPheta View Post
    Dremel out the rear of the VZW snap case to match the bulge on the new battery door. Sand it down smooth, and here you have it. It's pretty nice feeling, and it doesn't bulge out too much. It's still bulkier than before, however if you had a protective case already it isn't much of a difference.
    Great job and great pics showing the mod... I posted a while ago when they were just teasing us that Extended Batteries would be made available... You know, when Puppies were the oldest animals... That I wanted to do something like this to my VZW Case Holster combo. Since it sits in the holster battery out, I'd still be able to use it. Now you just gave me a visualization of what I need to do... Thanks again!

P.S. Which Dremel bit did you use? Also, any guides or attachments or just the bit?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

I used a cutting disc initially. Then I rounded the corners with the arbor band/chuck (different sizes for different corners. I smoothed/rounded the entire cutout with an cone shaped grinding stone. Lastly, stepped up sandpaper from 80 grit, up to 800 grit.

No guides, just freehand. A guide couldn't hurt, however keep in mind the outer surface is painted on. Don't gouge or scratch it.

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

Thanks... The case I have isn't painted, so I won't have to worry... I have all those bits, thankfully... Time to dust off the ole Dremel!

Last thing I modded with my Dremel was a steel computer case, so I'm pretty sure the rubberized plastic will be a bit easier to cut... Although I think I better open a window...

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi Invasion

looks awesome!

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP-JB/CM10

This has me almost tempted to go for the 2150. Nice work!
    this body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
    embrace this moment. remember, we are eternal; all this pain is an illusion.

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

Well, I'm not a dentist, but I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself... Still wouldn't attempt to fix anyone's teeth though... Anyhoo... Here is my mod of the combo case/holster from VZW... Also, so far, I took the phone off the charger at 1:22PM... It is now 3:16PM and I've sent a bunch of texts, taken a few pics, and updated Touiteur a few times... The battery widget still says 100%...

First 2 are in the holster... The rest are out of the holster...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case-cimg3326.jpg   HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case-cimg3331.jpg   HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case-cimg3330.jpg   HTC 2150 + Dremel + VZW Red Case-cimg3328.jpg  
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Very nice job. The black makes it look very clean.

yea those mods look good, if I had the access to do that I may actually purchase the battery but until some cases are available I'll stick with what I have
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast