Accessories designed for extended batteries?

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I am pretty excited about my Incredible finally being shipped, and I've now moved on to looking at accessories for it. I'm fairly set on some kind of screen protector, although I'm not sure which one exactly to get.

More importantly though, since everyone claims the battery life is terrible, I want to pick up another battery. A friend of mine got his incredible a week ago, so I've been using him as a guinea pig to see what works and what doesn't.

For batteries, it seems a couple options he went through were the 1500mah HTC battery, 1750mah Seidio battery, 2150mah HTC battery and the 3500mah Seidio battery. Of those, only the 1500 and 1750 batteries fit without requiring an extended cover, and he found this thread that convinced him not to bother with the 1750 one. The 3500 one, while having great power specs, looks way too bulky to fit comfortably in a pocket, so it's basically down to the 1500, or 2150 batteries.

I figured the slight increase in bulk of the 2150 is not too bad, except it seems most accessories (silicone cases/covers/skins and holsters, mainly) were designed around the standard battery, and will not fit the extended batteries without some modification. I thought this was no problem and started Googling for alternatives, except I must suck at it because all of my links have come up with just the standard accessories with extended batteries for sale. Are there any actual accessories out there that are designed specifically to accept the 2150 battery, or are we stuck with the 1500 one for compatibility? I don't think a mere 200mah increase is really worth the money though...

Thanks.

allisonv7

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
You might wait and see how you're using the phone before you get the extended battery. I thought about it after reading about battery life on here but didn't purchase one. I've had my phone a few days and have been using it a good amount and haven't had problems. I charged it fully initially and have just been charging it in my car when I'm driving to/from work (20 miles) and haven't had any issues.

Also, as a plus my old phone's (env2) chargers work with the Incredible! Nice surprise!

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
That is a valid point, although my friend has advised that I really do want an extended battery if I do anything besides extremely light usage with it. I'm pretty sure I'll use it when I can (hell, VZW makes me pay $30/month for data, I might as well get my money's worth, right?) and I also do not drive anywhere, so car chargers are out of the question for me.

I'm really leaning toward the 2150 HTC battery but I can't seem to find any accessories designed for it because all the results are for the standard battery size.

ctw500

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
You might wait and see how you're using the phone before you get the extended battery.

That's true - I upgraded to the 1750 and it gives me just enough extra time to make it all the way through the day without having to charge. And that's all I was really looking for anyway.

sonar_chris

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I remember reading somewhere that the 3500 battery from Seidio isn't really any bigger than the 2150 from HTC. I will see if I can find where I saw that.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I did see and read that thread, although I didn't see any pictures that explicitly compared them. It just seems like the battery cover for the 3500 sticks out so much more than the one for the 2150. Are you comparing just the batteries alone, or installed along with their covers?

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
From that thread...

"A couple of other things right off the bat... The 2150 extended backing will NOT fit on the 3500... It is like a fraction of a millimeter too shallow in the middle."

I compared the backings...

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well all I gotta say about this is if my 1750 is only really a 1350 then its one hell of a 1350. I went from 5-6 hours on the stock 1300 to 14-16 hours on my 1750. Also at the end of the "liar liar" post here write this:

UPDATE:
As I still investigate, the part number might not be an actual cell number but size/part number. However, there is still a ridiculous amount of difference in posted mAh Capacities...

Which means this guy is getting took seriously even though he has no clue what he is looking at. Hard to ignore all the people who are seeing HUGE increases in battery life with the 1750. Not saying it's the longest lasting battery because obviously the 3500 has everyone hiding right now, but it's one heck of a battery if you want to use the stock back cover.

Another thing I would like to add in here also, is the author of that post isn't being 100% factual with his information either and is obviously ignoring on HUGE fact. The part number "US454261A8T" comes back for batteries ranging anywhere from 1100maH to 2600maH. Pretty big omission if you ask me.

Last edited:

sonar_chris

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
All I have to say is that because of CRKhead saying that the 3500 battery size as compared to the 2150 size is practically the same, I went ahead and ordered (or pre ordered) the Seidio 3500 battery from Amazon for $49.99

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
But CRKhead said they were almost the same in physical size, not performance. He is getting 2 days of heavy usage out of the 3500. Not so w/ the 2150.

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Excellent, thank you for the photos, CRKhead! That's pretty definitive there. Pictures can definitely distort the scale of things, especially when there is no reference point.
If that's the case, I suppose the 3500 is back in the running if I consider the 2150.

Also, the guy over at AndroidForums posted some of the results of his battery tests here. Seems to indicate so far that the 1750 is anywhere from 1500-1600, where the 1300, 1500 and 2150 are all fairly consistently on their mark.

Back to the original point of this thread, however, I still don't see any accessories that are really designed to fit either the 2150 or 3500 battery. Seidio seems to have one but it's under development. Everything else seems to require a mod, which may limit me to the 1300 or 1500 again.

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Accessories for extended battery covers are usually limited to universal pouches and such for the simple reason of demand. When you take the huge number of people who have this phone and then separate the ones who will want or know enough to get an extended battery, the percentage is small... A lot of companies don't see it being worth spending money on development and manufacturing of something that has a small percentage of the user base...

This isn't always the case, of course, but it applies quite often...

makya53

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Just like anything else you can make anything work right crkhead. My 2150 only makes it though the day for me If I charge it with the power of. I made two different cases work with little efforts. I get my 3500 tomorrow and from crkheads post I will be able to make some mods to the cases and make them work.
Buy any slap on the back case and holster and with about 10 minutes with the dremel tool and a razor knife you a protection.

sent from my badass incredible

brina042

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Well all I gotta say about this is if my 1750 is only really a 1350 then its one hell of a 1350. I went from 5-6 hours on the stock 1300 to 14-16 hours on my 1750.

Yep, same here, I can tell a VERY noticeable difference. To the OP, if you want to have a case on your phone, then go with the 1750, but if not go with the 2150 :)

weihl165

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I am using the 1750 from my Eris and it works very well in my inc. And I like the otterbox cases which can't be used with 2150 or the 3500. When they become available anyway if u want a ton of options for cases ect. The seido 1750 is a great battery. Even better if u bump charge in the am.