1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Default Unrevoked 3 vs Unrevoked Forever

So, I have been debating this for a while now, and with someone in the office telling me that when he rooted his Droid 3 with Cyanogen, it was pretty easy and well worth, it, I figured, what the hell, I might as well give it a shot. There are a couple apps I wouldn't mind having with a rooted device (Screen shots) and wouldn't mind taking some of the junk off the phone (Facebook and City Id). FYI, I have the original DInc if that matters.

After checking out the Cyanogen page, and then the Unrevoked site, I noticed the Unrevoked 3, versus the Unrevoked Forever. After some reading, I see what each one does. One is forever, even with OTA updates, and the 3 can be unrooted if need be. I understand that.

With my phone, I plan on keeping it until I buy something new, either the Bionic or X2 depending on if I like what the Bionic completely is. My question is if there was any other differences between the 2. Is one, for the lack of better terms, better, easier or whatever than the other, other than the forever feature? I have a feeling I will change phones before Gingerbread comes out for my phone, so that isn't an issue. I just wasn't sure if the only difference was the unrooting ability.

I would assume the Forever is the way to go, but figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Unrevoked 3 vs Unrevoked Forever

You are close. Unrevoked3 and Unrevoked Forever are really one in the same. Unrevoked3 provides root, along with the ClockworkMod custom recovery, which is used for flashing ROMs, kernels, etc. Unrevoked Forever is part of Unrevoked3, and merely provides S-OFF. S-OFF will allow you to flash unsigned .zips from HBOOT, such as a different recovery, or a new radio. Either way you can revert back to completely stock, unrooted, S-ON in the future if you wish.
    Thanked by 4:

Quote Originally Posted by mikedaub View Post
    So, I have been debating this for a while now, and with someone in the office telling me that when he rooted his Droid 3 with Cyanogen, it was pretty easy and well worth, it, I figured, what the hell, I might as well give it a shot. There are a couple apps I wouldn't mind having with a rooted device (Screen shots) and wouldn't mind taking some of the junk off the phone (Facebook and City Id). FYI, I have the original DInc if that matters.
    Droid 3? Root? CM7? Pardon my skepticism, but since we don't have root yet less than two weeks after release of the Droid 3, it seems unlikely that there is a working CM7 for it.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

He most likely meant Droid 2. But you are correct - no CM7 for the D3, Just Emilio Esteves cranking out a paycheck.

(Isn't D3 the one where the rag tag group of kids wins the championship against all odds? I get them confused.)
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crondable View Post
    You are close. Unrevoked3 and Unrevoked Forever are really one in the same. Unrevoked3 provides root, along with the ClockworkMod custom recovery, which is used for flashing ROMs, kernels, etc. Unrevoked Forever is part of Unrevoked3, and merely provides S-OFF. S-OFF will allow you to flash unsigned .zips from HBOOT, such as a different recovery, or a new radio. Either way you can revert back to completely stock, unrooted, S-ON in the future if you wish.
    Thanks for that info. So, just do the 3. I appreciate it..
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    Droid 3? Root? CM7? Pardon my skepticism, but since we don't have root yet less than two weeks after release of the Droid 3, it seems unlikely that there is a working CM7 for it.
    My bad, Droid 2. Sorry about the key stroke error.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleComp View Post
    He most likely meant Droid 2.
    Bingo!!

My name is Faheem. I'm fairly new to this kind of stuff but I do find it very intriguing. I' 43 years old and not very tech savey but I' learning pretty quick. I recently purchased an evo3d, and i want it rooted, but Im having problems with the drivers