What is the best rom for a new flasher

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
hello folks, just installed cwm, i have everything ready to go

but, all i really want out of this phone, to start

decent camera (maybe higher fps, and 720p)
easy to understand UI (maybe sense)

and can anyone explain if there is a real noticabkle difference bewteen 2.2 and 2.3? because if not i may just flash the skyraider rom for starters.

and maybe i am nervous, i'm the kind of guy who prefers help from a pro doing step-by-step (which is why i often go into the store to activate new phones rather then doing the ESN switch at my computer on their site)

ricbon

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
hello folks, just installed cwm, i have everything ready to go

but, all i really want out of this phone, to start

decent camera (maybe higher fps, and 720p)
easy to understand UI (maybe sense)

and can anyone explain if there is a real noticabkle difference bewteen 2.2 and 2.3? because if not i may just flash the skyraider rom for starters.

and maybe i am nervous, i'm the kind of guy who prefers help from a pro doing step-by-step (which is why i often go into the store to activate new phones rather then doing the ESN switch at my computer on their site)

stable rom with sense is skyraider 4.0 [http://teambamf.net/showthread.php/24-ROM-SkyRaider-Sense-4.3-UPDATED-7-18-11 this is still froyo but is fast and bloatware removed with touches of cm7, its still same sense as stock. For the latest sense i really like synergy [ROM] Synergy - [RC2] [07/17/2011] - The Result Is Greater Than The Sum Of Its Parts - xda-developers has mixes of sense 2.0/3.0 really fun. i am on miui, this is aosp though, word of advice first thing to do is skin it with adw or launcher+. have fun flashing.

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
stable rom with sense is skyraider 4.0 [[ROM] SkyRaider Sense 4.3 [UPDATED: 7/18/11] this is still froyo but is fast and bloatware removed with touches of cm7, its still same sense as stock. For the latest sense i really like synergy [ROM] Synergy - [RC2] [07/17/2011] - The Result Is Greater Than The Sum Of Its Parts - xda-developers has mixes of sense 2.0/3.0 really fun. i am on miui, this is aosp though, word of advice first thing to do is skin it with adw or launcher+. have fun flashing.

thanks, i guess i am just afraid of bricking it, like i have in the past.

check your pm btw

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
If you like Sense, try the new Gingerbread/Sense 2.1 ROM's like Nils Business Gingersense.
If your looking for vanilla Android, go with Cyanogen Mod 7 (gingerbread)....to me it's the only AOSP ROM worth using.

As long as you have made a Nandroid backup of the stock ROM in case you want to go back, there is no reason to not start flashing away!!

You may be a little nervous at first but the only thing you can really do to brick the phone is mess with the radios...thats something for someone who really knows what they are doing. Barring that, have at it. At worst, you get into a boot loop. If that happens, pull the battery. When you put it back it hold down the volume down button as you power it up and that will take you to the menu where you can select "recovery"...once there go to your nandroid you made earlier and restore it *bam!* your back like nothing ever happened.

Once you get the hang of it you'll get addicted to the possibilities of all the ROM's that are out there...and there are A LOT of them! Enjoy.

Need any further help or run into something you can't figure...someone's always around here to lend a hand.

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
god i am a scared person, i did the nandroid backup, it worked fine, but, instead of wiping the factory info, i hit "reboot system now"

why am i so nervous?

Justified

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If you're liking sense, give SkyRaider 4.0 a try. It has some CyanogenMod7 goodness in it and it is probably the best sense rom out.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
if you want Sense SkyRaider is the most popular.

for AOSP you can go the popular route and go CM7 or if you want really stock go OMGB
that's what I run and it's light, fast and amazing! The same guys that make OMGB also offer a more modified version called OMFGB!

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Skyraider if you want a Sense rom. +1 for Cyanogen of you want non-sense rom (no pun intended).

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
god i am a scared person, i did the nandroid backup, it worked fine, but, instead of wiping the factory info, i hit "reboot system now"

why am i so nervous?

Breathe in... Breath out...

We've all been there! ;)

Foreigner_-_Feels_Like_The_First_Time_b-w_Woman,_Oh_Woman_(March_25,_1977).jpg

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
k, i just did it, it's sitting on the HTC logo, now the skyraider guy moving around, and boot anim......i hope i didn't cause a bootloop

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Witness the genesis of a ROM-a-holic.

Stock kernel with Skyraider should be really all you need. Your battery's probably warm because you just used the hell out of it.

It's a little late now but forgot to mention the first boot up into any new ROM takes a long time...I don't sweat the first boot up until it gets to the 15 minute mark. So far only one has and it just required a re-wipe of everything and a re-flash (I think it was Myn's Warm Z)

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Witness the genesis of a ROM-a-holic.

Stock kernel with Skyraider should be really all you need. Your battery's probably warm because you just used the hell out of it.

It's a little late now but forgot to mention the first boot up into any new ROM takes a long time...I don't sweat the first boot up until it gets to the 15 minute mark. So far only one has and it just required a re-wipe of everything and a re-flash (I think it was Myn's Warm Z)

yep, i have gingersense sitting on my sd card, but gonna try this out for a few days, calls seem more clearer then ever, too, but that might be because i sprayed the thing out with an airduster. this phone is a dust MAGNET, then again, most electronics are.

hell...who knows, i may flash over to pure speed (just slapped that baby on my sd card now) but, i just want to try this out.

Last edited:

Justified

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
anyone know of any kernals that won't heat the battery up? because my bat is really hot, but i can get apps to underclock it, right?

The stock kernal for SR is really good and its probably hot cause you just flashed it ;) I have the seidio 3500 and on a normal day for me I never go past 50% checking twitter, facebook and about 200 texts a day

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
anyone know if flashing a 2.3 rom is worth it?, like i said i'm considering flashing them in a few days, or should i just get used to skyraider here?

edit: screw it, gonna flash again, i have the itch now, YOU GUYS GAVE ME THE ITCH!
edit: i'll do it tommarow when the battery is fully charged and when i am more awake.

can i use the default kernal with the gingersense rom?

Last edited:

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
anyone know if flashing a 2.3 rom is worth it?, like i said i'm considering flashing them in a few days, or should i just get used to skyraider here?

edit: screw it, gonna flash again, i have the itch now, YOU GUYS GAVE ME THE ITCH!
edit: i'll do it tommarow when the battery is fully charged and when i am more awake.

can i use the default kernal with the gingersense rom?

Get your Skyraider all set up how you like it...give it a day or two and really dig into the menus and see what you can customize. To me that is the one of the best parts of Skyraider, the amount of customization. Probably the most in that respect of any Sense based ROM I've come across.

After you've got it set the way you like it, do a nandroid backup of it. Then using Astro or whatever file manager you like, rename the backup to something so you know which nandroid is which (using the file explorer, they are saved on your SD card in the file named "clockwork" and then under "backups" or something like that). Then try one of the Gingersense ROM's (I really like Nils Business Gingersense 3.0, very smooth ROM). After you've got that set up do like the other one, back it up, rename it...now you can restore to which ever ROM you like and all you've got to do is update the apps...presto, you can now change ROM's on a whim without having to go through the setup process (unless its a new ROM of course).

I rotate between Cyanogen7, Nils Gingersense 3.0, and Synergy ROM. Depends on the mood but I'll probably ditch Synergy in favor of Nil's now that Nil's allows for right button Rosie re-mapping.

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Get your Skyraider all set up how you like it...give it a day or two and really dig into the menus and see what you can customize. To me that is the one of the best parts of Skyraider, the amount of customization. Probably the most in that respect of any Sense based ROM I've come across.

After you've got it set the way you like it, do a nandroid backup of it. Then using Astro or whatever file manager you like, rename the backup to something so you know which nandroid is which (using the file explorer, they are saved on your SD card in the file named "clockwork" and then under "backups" or something like that). Then try one of the Gingersense ROM's (I really like Nils Business Gingersense 3.0, very smooth ROM). After you've got that set up do like the other one, back it up, rename it...now you can restore to which ever ROM you like and all you've got to do is update the apps...presto, you can now change ROM's on a whim without having to go through the setup process (unless its a new ROM of course).

I rotate between Cyanogen7, Nils Gingersense 3.0, and Synergy ROM. Depends on the mood but I'll probably ditch Synergy in favor of Nil's now that Nil's allows for right button Rosie re-mapping.

seems some sense roms even have standard HTC apps (i took the stocks app off since im not partial to that crap, but, alot of the vzw crap is gone.

i may flash to gingersense when i have a full battery (thing died when i booted it off, then tried to turn it back on, was worried, then plugged it in, it booted fine, once it got to the rom, i only had 10% left, so, i'll worry about it later tonight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463