Finally Rooted.

scolson1

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I realize I'm incredibly late coming to the party, but I finally rooted my DINC. I've had in since April of last year and have been looking at taking the plunge for several months but was terrified of bricking it. I finally did it tonight using UnrEVOked and it could NOT have been easier. I'm looking at trying Skyraider since I really enjoy Sense. I probably googled about 20 different threads and did way too much reading before I actually hit the button, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Reactions: RazorDroid

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the world of rooting! This party's just getting started!!

If you like Sense, try one of the Gingersense ROM's. Skyraider is a good ROM, it's very fast, and very stable but it is Froyo based. The Gingersense ROM"s are Gingerbread based (duh) and a couple of them also use updated versions of Sense. My personal favorite is Nil's Business Gingersense 3.0 v1.4

[ROM] Nils' Business GingerSense 3.0 (7/30/11 V1.4) - xda-developers

If you are not familliar with flashing ROM's make sure you read and have a good grasp on what your doing. Also, I would highly recommend you not use ROM manager to flash ROMs with...do it manually through Clockwork Recovery. And always, always do the FULL wipe when changing ROMs, thats "factory reset" wipe "data partition" and wipe the "Dalvik cache" (dalvik is listed under "advanced" on the main menu in Clockwork Recovery).

Enjoy!

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the "party". You bring back my nervous memories of deciding whether or not to root. As long as you read, follow the steps, and most importantly for your own good BACKUP before doing anything......EVER.

A few tips for a noob. To back up, it's always best to use Clockwork Recovery or CWR as you will see posted. To get into recovery, hold the volume down button when pressing power. This will turn the phone on and into Hboot. The phone will go through a brief search of any updates. When it is done searching, use the volume keys to select recovery, and then press power. This will have the phone boot into recovery. This is the FIRST thing you want to do before loading any ROMS. Once into recovery scroll with the volume keys down to backup and restore. Use the trackpad to select. Then select backup. Follow Wanda's advice on wiping before installing anything after you have backed up.

A good app is Titanium Backup now that you have Root. Titanium will backup all your apps, so when you flash a rom, you can restore all the apps you had.

RazorDroid

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I speak from experience, BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP!!! I nearly bricked my DINC after flashing a rom I didn't like, and totally forgot to back up my factory rom. Luckily I had a stroke of genius in the shower then next morning after only 4 hours of sleep. Now running CM7, with UpwardSpiral's Red Remix theme, and LOVING IT! It's like a whole new phone!

efar76

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on rooting...

I am on the other side of that fence. I am a noob who REALLY wants to root and start flashing away but I can't get past the whole "what if I screw up and brick it?" feeling!!! I've been following this (and many other) forums and I think I have talked myself into taking the plunge but I just have to man up and do it... :p

One (probably dumb) question, not to get off topic, but I did recently update with the 2.3 OTA. Should I have any problems rooting? (this is my brain telling me that I don't want to screw up)

efar76

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I didn't think so... should have held off on doing the OTA.

Hopefully Unrevoked gets updated soon. I think I am ready to take the root leap!

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I didn't think so... should have held off on doing the OTA.

Hopefully Unrevoked gets updated soon. I think I am ready to take the root leap!

Yep. I posted warnings to some about taking the update if they wanted to root. The EVO 4g took a LONG time to root after the update, but it is rooted now so that is a good sign for the Dinc, since it appears the Dinc update has shared parts from the Evo. Just because it's an official update, doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be better. It just has the "official"stamp of approval. Many roms out there run better (and worse) than stock but that's what is great about rooting (and android in general) is that you have the freedom to choose (well, once you can root again). Believe me, once a method comes out for the Dinc gingerbread to root, do it. If you can read and follow instructions, you won't do any damage to your phone. Once you root, fully read about anything you plan to do before doing it. And don't try anything you are not comfortable with, or don't know how to undo before you actually do it :)

ricbon

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
welcome to the world of root and especially root on an awesome phone like the droid inc! my word of advice stick to a couple of roms, but I know you'll probably flash every rom under the sun right now:p
i use skyraider4.3 and cyanogenmod7.1rc1 have fun!

efar76

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Yep. I posted warnings to some about taking the update if they wanted to root. The EVO 4g took a LONG time to root after the update, but it is rooted now so that is a good sign for the Dinc, since it appears the Dinc update has shared parts from the Evo. Just because it's an official update, doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be better. It just has the "official"stamp of approval. Many roms out there run better (and worse) than stock but that's what is great about rooting (and android in general) is that you have the freedom to choose (well, once you can root again). Believe me, once a method comes out for the Dinc gingerbread to root, do it. If you can read and follow instructions, you won't do any damage to your phone. Once you root, fully read about anything you plan to do before doing it. And don't try anything you are not comfortable with, or don't know how to undo before you actually do it :)

Yeah, I'm using my wait until 2.3 is rootable to read as much as I can so that I get hit the ground running when I can.

Not sure why I've been so unsure about making the rooting jump. Prior to the Dinc, I was constantly updated my BB Storm (what a POS that was)... :)