Rooted OTA available

baul0010

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
This download seems fast and stable. I still am wondering if it is the official release. It seems odd that on my hardware information it says my display is a 4.3 inch WVGA resolution...That would make my Dinc EVEN better that it is now.

My wife's Dinc is stock so it will be interesting to see how her versions and build numbers compare to what is on my phone currently.

I am going to get rid of the VZ bloat and see how this does for a couple of days. As of now it?s looking like it will probably be back to CM nightly. It is hard to beat the speed and battery life I was getting with CM nightly 164.

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Joel over at XDA has posted a rooted copy of the 2.3.4 OTA, so all of you who unrooted for the update should probably reroot and install this.

[ROM] Stock Gingerbread [2.3.4][Sense1.0] - xda-developers

Cheers.

I assume this updates the radio.. if the radio is updated.. and you change your mind.. can you back it out and put Froyo back on???

IF I had a nandroid of my current setup ... does that restore the radio settings as well?

baul0010

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
See I never flashed roms before.
This seems pretty stable so far.

Much easier then unrooting, downloading the OTA then rooting again.

I was rooted and stock froyo for a long time. The only problem I had was memory leaking. It always aggravated me when I would have 200 MB free and it would consistently drop to below 100 MB when I would not be using my phone.

CM has so many performance features built in my phone runs at a completely different speed than rooted stock. Knowing how fast my phone was on CM will probably be the only reason I go back.

2.3.4 doesn't seem like it changes the experience from Froyo. I have noticed the memory leaks are much less. The screen changes are crisp and overall the phone is running great. It's just not as great as I was set up before.

That is what is great about Android. I can love CM and you can love rooted/stock! :)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I was rooted and stock froyo for a long time. The only problem I had was memory leaking. It always aggravated me when I would have 200 MB free and it would consistently drop to below 100 MB when I would not be using my phone.

CM has so many performance features built in my phone runs at a completely different speed than rooted stock. Knowing how fast my phone was on CM will probably be the only reason I go back.

2.3.4 doesn't seem like it changes the experience from Froyo. I have noticed the memory leaks are much less. The screen changes are crisp and overall the phone is running great. It's just not as great as I was set up before.

That is what is great about Android. I can love CM and you can love rooted/stock! :)

Exactly....

Only problem I have with android is there are too many choices.
My friend who has an iphone wants a droid device for his wife.
My wife has an iphone and sees me tinkering with my phones all the time.
She had the ultimate quote "I don't need anything fancy. I only use it for email and the internet and music."
There are too many devices out there on android right now that I think people get intimidated.

But I agree we can love our certain versions because my android today looks just like it did last year (obviously different os) but the hardware can support it whereas BB seem outdated before they are released.

On each carrier there should be 3 levels of android devices.

Say the Thunderbolt is the Gold
the X/D3 etc would become the Silver
the Dinc could be the bronze. (or gold if you don't want large screens)

Having 10 devices just makes it to confusing for the consumer IMHO.

baul0010

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Exactly....

Only problem I have with android is there are too many choices.
My friend who has an iphone wants a droid device for his wife.
My wife has an iphone and sees me tinkering with my phones all the time.
She had the ultimate quote "I don't need anything fancy. I only use it for email and the internet and music."
There are too many devices out there on android right now that I think people get intimidated.

But I agree we can love our certain versions because my android today looks just like it did last year (obviously different os) but the hardware can support it whereas BB seem outdated before they are released.

On each carrier there should be 3 levels of android devices.

Say the Thunderbolt is the Gold
the X/D3 etc would become the Silver
the Dinc could be the bronze. (or gold if you don't want large screens)

Having 10 devices just makes it to confusing for the consumer IMHO.

Having too many choices is my favorite part. I have not had a board moment with my phone. The developer community has been great. Like I was saying before, if Cyanogen fell of the face of the earth and I was stuck with my latest CM nightly, my phone would be good for another year. With the pace of technology now, having a two year old phone is almost unheard of. I had the original BB Storm and after a year I was ready to pull my hair out.

There are so many forums and websites you can get the necessary information about any phone if you do the research.

At this point I would not use an upgrade to get a Dinc2, Thunderbolt, DX2, or D3. I have played with a friend?s D3 and the dual core is VERY nice...but I am not getting a phone with 512 Ram. I want my next phone to truly be an upgrade from what I have now. I can't justify spending the money on a bigger screen that doesn't out-perform my phone by much.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
At this point I would not use an upgrade to get a Dinc2, Thunderbolt, DX2, or D3...I want my next phone to truly be an upgrade from what I have now. I can't justify spending the money on a bigger screen that doesn't out-perform my phone by much.
+1

Now that I'm rooted anyway :D

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I assume this updates the radio.. if the radio is updated.. and you change your mind.. can you back it out and put Froyo back on???

IF I had a nandroid of my current setup ... does that restore the radio settings as well?

From what I read it didnt update the radio , But I havent flashed this yet either.

How is it performing for those who did flash it ?
I downloaded it but not flashed it ......Yet ;)

No the Rooted ROM does not update the Radio. ROM's include Kernel and Software, not the Radio. So when someone known puts out the Radio that would have to be flashed separately.

The PB31IMG Froyo restore does include the stock radio, recovery and HBOOT, but that is a different technique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy