Need help - lost recovery/CWM?

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just need some confirmation that what I'm about to have to do is correct, since I'm in a pickle. I've read lots of threads everywhere that have bits and pieces of what to possibly do, but I want to make sure I truly understand.

I'm running CM7 #170, S-off. Went to do a nandroid through Rom Manager (most recent update) and updated CWM to latest version, getting ready to flash Nils BG to try it out. When I selected to backup current ROM, wipe data/cache, it immediately went to HBoot and flashed 'no images found'. Every time I select recovery or clear storage, it goes to the white boot screen and no further. I was able to go to Fast Boot, select Power Down, and CM7 booted up. I tried it a couple of times, same thing. Went to Rom Manager and reflashed 3.07 and 3.08, trying both (I have AMOLED, so I'm thinking .07 is the one I'm supposed to use?). Still same results. Tried to backup in Rom Manager, same thing.

So, from what I've read, I have to possibly reformat my SD card in the computer (does it matter that I used a Mac with Unrevoked Forever?). Download Doug Piston's PB31IMG, put it on root of SD (after formatting), flash through HBoot (go to recovery at that point, right?). Then I download the recovery of CWM from dougpiston and flash that? This is where I get a little confused and feel like there are gaps.

Sorry it's so long, but I truly like to understand what I'm doing, instead of just trying a couple things, going back and trying to undo, etc.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The new Clockworx 5.x has issues on the DInc - reboot into CM7 and use ROM manager to reflash 3.0.0.8 (It's under All ClockworkMod Recoveries) and you will be fine. No need to reformat or run the PB31IMG files.

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I'm an impatient idiot......

I tried reflashing .07 and .08 of CWM before you posting Stig and was still getting the same error messages, so I was following Doug Piston's explanations, flashed PB31IMG and that was fine, returned to stock but still s-off.

Downloaded the CWM that Piston says to, booted into HBoot and got the green circle/working for a few, until it went to red-triangle-exclamation point and is now stuck.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Re flash the PB31IMG.zip Froyo, Be sure to check the MD5 since it does contain a radio. Then re-root with Unrevoked. This will put clockwork 2.x on and give you S-off. Then download ROM manager and install 3.0.0.8 and you should be good to go.

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Re flash the PB31IMG.zip Froyo, Be sure to check the MD5 since it does contain a radio. Then re-root with Unrevoked. This will put clockwork 2.x on and give you S-off. Then download ROM manager and install 3.0.0.8 and you should be good to go.
Sorry you keep having to answer a lot of the same questions, Stig, but where do I check the MD5?

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Uhhh.......I started into Unrevoked again, after flashing PB31IMG and at the 'Waiting for Bootloader' screen, my phone displays the red triangle again :(

Crap!

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a Mac, so I don't believe I needed to.....I kept the reflash image from the first rooting experience, too.

Should it matter when doing Unrevoked again that I'm already S-off?

EDIT: I have tried going into Recovery again and when I do power and volume up, it's giving me E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command. I've cleared data, cache, factory reset.

EDIT #2: after factory reset, appears that Unrevoked is working!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781