Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PvilleComp
  • 1 Post By Wanda
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Default DROID Incredible Bootloader Unlocked by HTC

HTC has given us a late present! If you are running OTA Gingerbread, you can now unlock the bootloader via HTC's developer site:

HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader

Hip Hip Hurray!!!!

http://www.androidcentral.com/bootlo...e-g2-now-avail

[WARN]This is not as simple a process as Unrevoked. [/WARN]
    You will have to:

Follow the directions carefully, You will have to use ADB to generate an unlock token to submit to HTC for the Unlock codes. Attached is a PDF with the full HTC instructions.

UPDATE: Once you have unlocked the bootloader, you can download the latest flashable Clockwork Mod from here:
    http://pvillecomp.com/?page_id=28

Re-name the file to PB31IMG.zip and place it on the root of your SD card. Turn off you phone, and boot into HBOOT by holding down the Power and Down Vol buttons at the same time. HBOOT will see the PB31IMG.zip file and prompt you to install it. Say yes by pressing the Power button. When it is done Clockwork will be installed and you can load any rooted ROM you like!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by PvilleComp; 03-06-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Update with Clockwork Flashing instructions.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
    Thanked by:
    Wanda likes this.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Default Re: DROID Incredible Bootloader Unlocked by HTC

And there was much rejoicing....
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Schwermzilla likes this.

So if you were never rooted and have S-on, what does the boot loader unlocker do? Does it make it S-off so you can roll back and root? I have some friends with the Gingerbread OTA that have asked me about rooting and I've told them they are SOL.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Can some figure out the unlocking bootloader process by just using the phone itself?

ROM
    Stock/ ICS Rooted

If you unlock it there's no need to rollback. This will allow you to flash the rooted OTA. You may need to install Clockwork first but won't have to roll back.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

I just updated the OP with more info. Frankly, when I told my wife what I wanted to do with her DInc, I got the Major Stink Eye and "Not during the week."

Soooooooo... Hopefully come Saturday I'll be able to go through the process completely and post a full tutorial.

My understanding is that this should give you S-OFF so that you can then flash Clockwork as a PB31IMG file and then flash ROMs to your hearts content. I'll know for sure on Saturday, but if anyone else does it before I get then chance, please confirm or deny here.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Seems pretty awesome to me. I'm eligible in less than a month to upgrade, but I have no desire to.....Not yet. Got more important things to spend the money on right now. However, when I do upgrade, I'm glad to know HTC will allow me to continue to play with my phone as I will be sure the phone is included on their unlocker list first. (Unless I get a nexus)

I thought I heard in the past that HTC was not giving full unlocked access. WIll kernels be allowed to be flashed or just Roms?
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    ROM
    Redemption ROM

This is great news, good for HTC!
    Android Enthusiast

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleComp View Post
    I just updated the OP with more info. Frankly, when I told my wife what I wanted to do with her DInc, I got the Major Stink Eye and "Not during the week."

Click to view quoted image

Soooooooo... Hopefully come Saturday I'll be able to go through the process completely and post a full tutorial.

My understanding is that this should give you S-OFF so that you can then flash Clockwork as a PB31IMG file and then flash ROMs to your hearts content. I'll know for sure on Saturday, but if anyone else does it before I get then chance, please confirm or deny here.
    Wish me luck, I'm gonna try and convince my buddy that he needs this done! :-D
    Android Enthusiast

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

Quote Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
    Wish me luck, I'm gonna try and convince my buddy that he needs this done! :-D
    Ok now I'm confused... the HTC site has 8 different Incredible S phones to choose from....WTF?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
    Ok now I'm confused... the HTC site has 8 different Incredible S phones to choose from....WTF?
    You want the DROID Incredible. I was not able to find a proper HTC Sync from the link in their post, but here's a different link to get it:
    HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC (Verizon) - Downloads

Also updated OP.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I did this successfully. So now im unlocked, but am still s-on....whats the point of doing this? I have no idea how to gain root now, im such a noob.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Read the guide in the stickied section of this forum on how to root and all the other stuff. Great walk through and even has pictures to illustrate

I can't get this to work with my Dinc. It has the stock Gingerbread update but my bootloader version is .93 or .92 I think so when I get to the part where you enter the command to get the token it keeps coming back with a command error. Has anyone else seen this?

I can't get my computer to run fastboot.exe or the rest of the file you put in a sperate folder. Can someone help here.

Quote Originally Posted by unloader View Post
    .... So now im unlocked, but am still s-on....whats the point of doing this? ....
    Exactly what I came on here to say. While I commend HTC for doing this in principle, I don't quite understand the point since it doesn't give you S-off.

Why would someone choose HTC's method (knowing that they have you on record as voiding your warranty)when they could just use Unrevoked to unlock your bootloader WITH S-off?
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble

-----------------------------------------
    Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)
    Droid Incredible (CM 7.2.0 RC1)
    Nook Color w/ 8GB N2A card
    -----------------------------------------
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Granted having S-OFF is better but unlocking with S-ON is better than nothing.

Once you are unlocked - download the latest Clockwork Mod from here:
    Recoveries | PvilleComp's

You can flash it in HBOOT and it will install clockwork.

Once Clockwork in installed you can flash any rooted ROM you like.

I'll update the OP with this as well.

Hope this helps.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - 4.08 build

Sorry to dig up this old post, but it seemed appropriate.

Once I unlock the bootloader through HTC, I can then flash any custom ROM I want through CWM, and the phone will continue to use the stock kernel and radio, correct?

It sounds right to me, but I wanted to check.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Be sure you make backups first - Some of the AOSP ROMs may not like the Sense Kernel.
    Thanked by:
    Keldog 

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - 4.08 build

Gotcha.. thank you.

I was able to get the bootloader unlocked but when I try to flash clockwork I get

"Main version is older"
    Update Fail!
    Do you want to reboot device?

I was able to unlock the the bootloader and get CWM installed, and even have CM7 running on my Droid Inc 2.

The question I have is: Do I need to have S-OFF? If so how should I go about gaining S-OFF?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

If you used the unlocker - then no you can't get S-OFF. but the only thing you really can't do is flash radios or boot splashes. Not a real problem at this point. I doubt we'll see another official radio update. Enjoy your root and welcome to the dark side!

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Hi, i keep getting "Main version is older".

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by nykcmelo7 View Post
    Hi, i keep getting "Main version is older".
    http://androidforums.com/incredible-...oot-s-off.html

Go to that forum thread and near the bottom Scotty85 gives an explination of how to get clockwork recovery through fastboot. It worked for me as I was having the same problems. Hope this helps.

And thanks to @PvilleComp "The Stig" for bringing this to our attention (I know I'm a year late but better late then never...
    Droid Incredible since June 2010
    Nexus 5 since March 2014