Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM 7.1/Dalingrin's

Default Rooting DInc on 2.3.4...

Hey guys... so I finally got my hands BACK on a DInc (had one about a year ago, prior to the Gingerbread update which i had rooted and that was painless..) and I am having some trouble finding out a way to get this to accept root.

Currently am 2.3.4 stock with S-On. I have tried unrevoked, and it doesnt seem to push the CWM recovery onto my phone....yet the SU icon is showing up in my applications tray, and anytime I try and reboot into recovery, I just get a black screen with white vertical lines on the right and left edges of my screen.

And ROM Manager isnt detecting that CWM is installed either....so I am a bit baffled here on this.

Does anyone out there have any tips out there?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it in advance.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Default Re: Rooting DInc on 2.3.4...

You either need to use the HTC Boot Loader un-locker and then flash Clockwork or downgrade to GingerbreadFroyo and then run Unrevoked.

You can find the GingerbreadFroyo files here:
    Stock Images | PvilleComp's

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by PvilleComp; 03-29-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    CM 7.1/Dalingrin's

I am on gingerbread....so not sure what you mean by the last part.

He meant froyo.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock 2.3.4

Is there NO way to root a 2.3.4 Incredible without downgrading??? I rooted a Samsung Droid Charge with upgraded ROM somewhat easily, and it has 2.3.6, but downgrading seems a problem, and this Inc has had major problems finishing Unrevoked...KJR

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Thanks trunks - I fixed the post. Must have been tired that night.

@drkriley - no, there is no easy root method for Gingerbread. You either need to downgrade to Froyo and then use Unrevoked or use the HTC Bootloader unlock tool, flash clockwork and then flash a rooted ROM.

By downgrading and sing Unrevoked you get S-OFF. Using the HTC Unlocker you do not get S-OFF.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Default help!

Can someone help out a noob? I'm trying to root my DInc for the first time. I just wanted to get my feet wet at first and download some apps, but eventually I'll be flashing a ROM (probably Skyraider). I can't seem to find a good how-to on downgrading back to froyo. I'm on the last OTA (4.08.605.ruineverything). I've read all the stickies and guides, and pretty much everything the Stig wrote, but I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with a PB31IMG, what the MD5 is or how to find it, or anything like that. Once it is back in Froyo, I see how to root and flash it, but I don't know how to get there.

Is downgrading going to include a factory reset of my phone, or are all my settings, data, apps, scenes, etc going to remain? And do I have to format my SD card (and delete its contents) to get it to FAT32? Right now it says FAT, but I have a spare SD I can temporarily use for the downgrade if that's all I need it for.

Please help!

(I figured this was as good a place as any to post this, since I'm not allowed to send a PM yet)

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Hey Netscape - I'm working on an update/re-write of the How to Root sticky, just have not gotten it finished yet.

So... Here's the readers digest step by step...

[WARN]This will reset your phone. You will lose all your apps and data so be sure you follow the steps in this thread first and back up your apps and data.
    [Tutorial] What to back up and what to restore when switching ROM's
    [/WARN]

Once your data is backed up, connect your phone to your computer (Preferably a PC, not a MAC. MAC's sometimes don't format as FAT32 very nicely).

Be sure you can see hidden files and folders: View File Extensions | PvilleComp's

Then copy EVERYTHING from your SD Card to a folder on your PC.

Then format as FAT32: Is your SDCard Fat32? | PvilleComp's

Copy everything back to your SD Card. (The reset's will not affect the data on your SD Card)

Next, download the Froyo PB31IMG.zip file from here: Stock Images | PvilleComp's with your PC. Rename it from Froyo-Stock-Recovery_PB31IMG.zip to just PB31IMG.zip and check the MD5.

The MD5 is a checksum value. It's sole purpose is to make sure that the file you downloaded is the same as the file that was posted. It prevents you from flashing a corrupt download. You can get MD5 validation software here: Check MD5 | PvilleComp's

If the MD5's match you are good to go.

Now copy the PB31IMG.zip file to the root of your SD Card (No Folders) and dismount your phone from the PC.

Reboot into HBOOT and let the PB31IMG file load: Flash in HBOOT | PvilleComp's

When all is said and done you're back to factory Froyo. Now yo can go to unrevoked.com and root with full S-OFF.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and welcome to AC!
    Thanked by:

All I get is "Update fail! Main version is older!" And I have the option of rebooting or not. Why isn't it flashing PB31IMG?

edit:

HBOOT

Main Version is older!
    Update Fail!
    Do you want to reboot device?
    <vol up> YES
    <vol down> NO
    Last edited by netscapeCEO; 04-19-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Can you see which version of HBOOT you are using? It should tell you right at the top of the screen.

.92 is the latest.

Here's a link.
    HBOOT | PvilleComp's

HBOOT is .92. Is that the version that I need to flash the froyo image? I triple checked that the zip file was spelled right and the SD card is formatted as FAT32. Thank you so much Stig, I feel like this will be my last hiccup. Here is everything it is saying:

INCREDIBLEC XD SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-0.92
    MICROP-0417
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_10AA
    RADIO-2.15.10.07.07
    JUL 23 2010,18:06:51

HBOOT

Main Version is older!
    Update Fail!
    <vol up> YES
    <vol down> NO

I formatted a second SD card on the computer (not through the phone), with the same effect. So I know it's not a matter of improper formatting.

I tried to follow the steps here, but that was a dead end. Came back to error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new? There was another method listed (mini adb?), but had a broken link, so nothing. At least nothing is wrong with my phone yet.

Edit: Nevermind! That guide on Android Forums definitely worked (not the prettiest guide, though). Unrevoked might just need a few tries, or I skipped a step. The one thing people forget to mention is that the trackball is select in CWM, not power. Thank you Pville for all your help!
    Last edited by netscapeCEO; 04-21-2012 at 01:22 AM.

so new here to this process but i'm running into trouble with the downgrade. I've managed to get root access through the android forums link that netscape provided, installed rom manager and titanium backup, but cant seem to get it to downgrade to froyo from gingerbread now. I want to get s-off but cant seem to get it to recognize the version saying main version is older. SD card is fat32, filename is good with "PB31IMG.zip". Cant figure it out, any suggestions?

EDIT: followed directions on android forum and it worked. I think that a freshly formatted SD card with the PB31IMG.zip is a very important step because mine did not work with the original sd card i was using and then worked properly when i had a fresh sd card with the zip as the only thing on it. Dont know if this is useful but worth a shot. Thanks to everyone!
    Last edited by dudleynascar; 05-15-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: worked

ROM
    Liquid ICS on my DX

Hey guys, I am trying to Root my Mom's Droid Incredible, but so far I am having no luck. I am really not that familiar with this phone, since I have a Droid X. But yesterday I unlocked the Bootloader via htcdev.com. I tried to use unrevoked, but doesn't work and I downloaded the clockwork-mod file, renamed it and tried to flash it, and it also doesn't work. It just looks for the file and says:

Main Version is older!
    Update Fail!
    <vol up> YES
    <vol down> NO

or it shows this screen below:

INCREDIBLE XD SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-1.02.0000
    MICRO-0417
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16AC
    RADIO-2.15.10.07.07
    DEC 21 2011, 23:37:16

I am not really sure what to do here. If someone could guide this newbie I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just Rooted the Incredible. Installed CWM. Now I just need to find a stable Rom to try out.
    Last edited by martian_11; 05-29-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Rooted the Phone

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Martian,

You can't go wrong with the latest CM7 release or nightly.

ROM
    Liquid ICS on my DX

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleComp View Post
    Martian,

You can't go wrong with the latest CM7 release or nightly.
    How are the sense 3.0 or 3.5 based Roms. Are those stable enough? I like the htc widgets and so If I go with CM7 or CM9, can I still use the Stock HTC Widgets?

Quote Originally Posted by martian_11 View Post
    I am not really sure what to do here. If someone could guide this newbie I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just Rooted the Incredible. Installed CWM. Now I just need to find a stable Rom to try out.
    Good to hear that you got the root to work but it would be nice to hear what the solution to your initial problem was. My brother in-law gave me his old dInc and I wanted to try loading the ICS rom onto it but I keep running into the same Main Version is older error. Anyone have some advice?

ROM
    Liquid ICS on my DX

Quote Originally Posted by Fa11ou7 View Post
    Good to hear that you got the root to work but it would be nice to hear what the solution to your initial problem was. My brother in-law gave me his old dInc and I wanted to try loading the ICS rom onto it but I keep running into the same Main Version is older error. Anyone have some advice?
    Fa11ou7.... I just followed the instructions in the xda thread below to gain root. Worked perfectly. Hope its ok to post external link, but here it is...Just follow steps 1 to 27. I still have S-On, with bootloader unlocked.
    [GUIDE] How To Root HBOOT 1.02.0000 and gain S-OFF - xda-developers

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Make sure you SD card is formatted FAT32. PB31IMG's will not flash in HBOOT if the SD Card is not FAT32.

Martin - It's been a while since I flashed a Sense 3 ROM. They were a little sluggish but they may have fixed that.

Red face Re: Rooting DInc on 2.3.4...

INCREDIBLEC XD SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-1.07.0000
    MICRO-0417
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16AC
    RADIO-2.15.10.12.20
    Apr 24 2012, 22:58:40

Main Version is older!
    Update Fail!
    <vol up> YES
    <vol down> NO

Here is what I get. Formated 2 different Sd cards, checked md5, tried it 2 times each and same deal. So looks like this doesnt work with this HBOOT.

First time trying to root this DINC but did successfully root a Fascinate before, have to say that was much easier.

Any other tips? I will try the XDA method too now

Smile Re: Rooting DInc on 2.3.4...

So I ended up using this method from the Android Forums, htcdev I only went thru step 3 where I ended up rooted, bootloader unlocked, and S-on. It is pretty much the same as the XDA method, but I found it much easier to follow as it is written more for newbies like me.

I then decided to just load up an new ROM, went with the MIUI 2.3.5 version. I know should really do S-off but I was already overdone in the amount of time I had spent following guides that didn't work previous to finding the htc dev, and I doubt we'll get another OTA for the Droid, if we do I have back ups and the method for the htcdev root. I did the wipe data / factory reset, wipe cache, and wipe dalvik cache It installed awesome, but then hung at the splash screen. OH CRAP! But then looked at the forums and found references to a complete wipe. Which is going to the mounts and storage menu in CWM recovery, and then I choose format boot, format system, format data, and format cache. Then I did a reboot and BAM it was working! MIUI is sweet, if doesn't get buggy like GB did this is where the phone will stay till December when my wives contract is up.

And I did try to downgrade to 2.2 after unlocking the bootloader with the HBOOT method and no luck with that either. Sure this is all newbie stuff for most here but I thought it was kinda hard to put altogether without going to a bunch of posts in 3 different forums before it was all said and done. So hope this helps other newbies so they don't spend 20+ hours just trying to get to root and load a custom ROM like me. Most of the 20+ hours was spent doing the wrong thing without knowing any better.