Latest, most up-to-date thread, on rooting the Droid Incredible?

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Is the sticky in this forum the latest, most up-to-date guide on how to root the Droid Incredible? I'm kicking around whether I want to root this device, but every time I start looking for a good guide, I can't tell whether it's up-to-date. :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Latest, most up-to-date thread, on rooting the Droid Incredib

It's up to date if you downgrade back to Froyo, which is really the only way to root with S-Off.

If you want to use the HTC Unlock tool then you can flash Clockwork recovery and flash any rooted ROM you like, but you will still have S-On.

To downgrade back to Froyo, you can find the ROM here:
Stock Images | PvilleComp's

Some guides for flashing the PB31IMG's are here:
How To… | PvilleComp's

I've been slowly working on an updated Root thread, but I keep getting sidetracked.

Let us know if you have any questions.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

PvilleComp,

Thanks very much for your response.

If it wasn't already apparent, I'm very green when it comes to anything related to modding and roms. How is unlocking the bootloader different from rooting? Or do I need to root before I use this HTC Unlock utility?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

Unlocking the bootloader will allow you to load a custom recovery and then flash custom rooted ROM's. unlocking the bootloader will not give you root on your current ROM.

By downgrading and using Unrevoked, you will root your existing ROM and also get S-OFF which will allow you to flash radio and boot splash images. You still get the custom recovery to load custom rooted ROM's.

Hope this helps.

kylemaguire

Resident Teen
Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
If I unlock the boot loader can I uninstall the crap ware without having to go to S-OFF?

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

If you go with the bootloader unlock, the easiest way would be to load Clockwork Recovery and then load a rooted OEM Gingerbread ROM - they are out there, and most have the bloat already removed. Just unlocking the bootloader will not give you root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax