1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Want recommendations for stripped-down, minimal, fast ROM

So after eeking about as much use of out our DInc's as possible, I decided it was time to upgrade to 4G before we lost our unlimited data. Rezounds are on the way (tempted by the new Samsung but couldn't pass up the discounted price).

My wife's DInc is stock and will probably be sold to offset some of the cost of upgrading. I'd like to keep mine, however, as an extra music/podcast/media device on wifi.

I've been running CM7.1 for a while now, and it's been very nice (with the exception of lots of force closes whenever there's an app that needs to be updated), but I'm curious if there are any really minimal ROMs that might run a little faster and save some battery life.

Recommendations? I don't need lots of features or screens, fancy menus or effects, just something that will be snappy and reliable.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Default Re: Want recommendations for stripped-down, minimal, fast ROM

Are you running an RC or Release version of CM7? If so I would get the latest nightly - it's rock solid and it's probably hands down the best ROM out there.

PloinisianMedic mentioned the he's running a CM9 variant from ROM manager that's available though it's a little laggy it seems stable.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted TouchWiz

I was using the latest CM7 nightly with great success and then stumbled across the CM9 version I am currently running. I really like the ICS changes and have had no problems with this one so far. To run ICS on a device that was not supposed to be able to run it is a mark of a good piece of hardware and awesome developers. I say give it a go and see what you think. Since it isn't going to be your "regular" phone you have the ability to all of the ROMs out there and see what works best for you. Enjoy and let us know what you think and what you end up with.
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a Paramedic!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Running the RC of CM7.1, I'm happy to try out the latest nightly...but really I'm looking for something a little snappier and more efficient that CM7. It's fantastic, and I'd stick with it if the DInc were to remain my primary phone, but I was hoping for something a little more "stripped down".

Of course, a fresh copy of CM7.1, with only the handful of apps I want, and most of the options turned off, might do the trick.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Wiped and loaded CM7.2 RC, then turned off as many of the various display options, transition effects, etc. Pretty snappy! Added the half-dozen apps I want on it and charged it back up...now leaving it off the charger to test out battery life.

If anyone has another recommendation, however, I'm still happy to hear it.