why do we root?

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
no, i'm just curious as to why different people do things...i personally have no real need for root, but that might change. once 2.2 comes out a lot of the benefits that people root for will be available in the core OS (app backup/restore, cloud backup and app data restore, etc)

the only thing i'd get from it is screen capture and getting most of those features that are coming with 2.2 a bit early...just not really worth it to me, ya know? but everyone's so hyphy about it, just curious...

blunt420

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
actually patches youd like it its like a hybird but a 1000x better so ive been told...and thats a direct quote form a thread i posted awhile ago where i asked what is root and why do i want it so bad...this is just like cb there is a search button (rule#6671) try it you might like it lol much respect my friend

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
i know how forums work, homie. remember? lol...i just wanted to create a dialogue with people and see what they think. guess nobody comes to this part of the forum very often. maybe i'll ask to have this moved to the main forum?

blunt420

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
this forum will be packed once they figure a simple way to root...ive been waiting cuz they say its not easy and i admit to not being too brite, i think i need to find the lyricidal of android so i can get some help....good luck brother let me know when you root so you can help me out

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I MAY root my DI in the future, especially if it takes much longer to get Froyo. The thing is, even though I changed ROMs fairly regularly on my WM Omnia, I'm pretty darn happy with this phone as is. I may get bored and want to do some playing around with it, but I don't have a huge NEED to root in order to do what I want.

...my $.02

Trophias

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
If I recall, I made a post about using the LED light as a flashlight, but you need to be rooted to use it on the Incredible unlike the Evo

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I achieved root this morning! Been playing with my phone all day getting things setup the way the phone should have been from the factory. I did it for two reasons, 1. to get rid of the crap I didn't want on my phone and 2. so if 2.2 is being delayed like the Eris's did then I can simply flash a different ROM and have it. In fact there are a few 2.2 ROMs floating around.

So I did it mainly to get rid of:
Facebook
Default Twitter
CityID
Default Mail
Flickr
FriendStream
Footprints

And I'm sure there was something else. Oh yeah and to gain wireless tether. However I got to admit I'm not sure if I like it as much as pdanet so I'm going to have to play around with it a bit more and find out how far I can push it first.

Did I mention custom ROMS?!

I also think a lot of people, myself included, are draw to it especially now that people can't seem to do it. My geek side really comes out when other people can't do it and I can't seem to get it because then I HAVE TO GET IT! And I did this morning!

JTEastwood

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Am i the only one who came from the blackberry world of jacking up their phones with a new hybrid os every day and now loving the android world but looked at the rooting instructions and felt like there is no frickin way im gonna get this right? maybe im just nervous like the first time i loaded up a hybrid os but holy cr@p that is some crazy stuff going on. and i need root cuz i cant leave well enough alone. especially to take control of the memory...

Come on boys... need a nice simple way in!!!!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
@JTEastwood the root itself isn't hard at all, and there is nothing to messup doing it. Pretty much the worst that can happen during the rooting procedure, is you not getting root. Putting on the recovery stuff through UnRevoked2 was a plug it in one click thing. But flashing ROMs etc is the hurddle I'm working through right now.

I always knew with my BB that if something mucked up I could just wipe the device and install a different O/S.....still not sure how all this is working with this phone. But I'm sure after I do one or two of them and get freaked out, and work myself out of a hole I will be 100% confident after that!

And BTW if you aren't into throwing/kick stuff, cussing, calling your phone and computer stupid name, fighting with internal demons in your SD cards, and generally pulling your hair out then don't do the root. If you can handle all of that while still drinking your coffee and keeping your sanity jump on it!

JTEastwood

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
@JTEastwood the root itself isn't hard at all, and there is nothing to messup doing it. Pretty much the worst that can happen during the rooting procedure, is you not getting root. Putting on the recovery stuff through UnRevoked2 was a plug it in one click thing. But flashing ROMs etc is the hurddle I'm working through right now.

I always knew with my BB that if something mucked up I could just wipe the device and install a different O/S.....still not sure how all this is working with this phone. But I'm sure after I do one or two of them and get freaked out, and work myself out of a hole I will be 100% confident after that!

And BTW if you aren't into throwing/kick stuff, cussing, calling your phone and computer stupid name, fighting with internal demons in your SD cards, and generally pulling your hair out then don't do the root. If you can handle all of that while still drinking your coffee and keeping your sanity jump on it!

OK.... Im fn excited. I did it following the youtube video after only a few attempts. the wifi tethering alone is worth the effort. Oh how i love this stuff.

thanks for the encouragement!

ps. didnt have to throw anything!!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
OK.... Im fn excited. I did it following the youtube video after only a few attempts. the wifi tethering alone is worth the effort. Oh how i love this stuff.

thanks for the encouragement!

ps. didnt have to throw anything!!

Yeah WiFi tethering is pretty cool, removing all the junk apps is REALLY cool. And then there are custom ROMs which are REALLY REALLY cool especially if you are a hybrid junky from the BB days like me.

Titanium Backup lets you back up your apps and settings to an SD card. It also lets you "freeze" apps you don't want so that they don't show up.

ShootMe lets you take screenshots.

Both require rooting.

Rooting good.

Titanium backup is a must! Especially if you like flashing different roms and still have your data from your apps stable. Wish I would have know about it BEFORE I did anything after root, could have saved myself a bit of time. That and appbrain for restoring all my installs, haven't flashed and tried a titanium backup yet does it handle the actual apps too, or just the data?

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I was all into trying out different OS builds on my storm because basically nothing was ever good enough so it became a non stop quest to make it better.

With this phone, I don't have that problem and basically satisfied with what I got. The only way I could see rooting it is if I get really tired of waiting for 2.2 or I get too much free time on my hands(not likely).

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The only way I could see rooting it is if I get really tired of waiting for 2.2 or I get too much free time on my hands(not likely).

Then go ahead and root, because knowing HTC's procedure and speed with pushing out OS updates to their phones it will be middle of next year at the earlier before 2.2 comes to this phone. If at all. Hope I'm dead wrong on it though. And personally from what I've seen from Jager 1.6.2 ROM I can't wait to see what CyanogenMod with 2.2 and JIT has to offer and would prefer it over the sense option right now.

I was all for sense until I tried something else lol. Gosh I LOVE having OPTIONS!!!

trock70

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

Dude, this is what makes me feel alive. You just convinced me to try it! Lol No really i have 5 days off so that should be plenty of time to get the job done. Wish me luck guys.