Those still trying to root..

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Did basically the same thing as you but I had the sound and ran adb shell in a loop. Airplane mode etc was identical and you are totally right about skill, knowledge etc is out the window as it basically all boils down to luck.

SirKeats

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
so after having no luck here... took a break and decided to get back to it again today. however, last time i ran the downgrade and then when i failed to root and decided to stop for a while, had to reset all of my settings and such.

before i downgrade again, wondered if there was a way to back everything up so if i fail to root again, i can quickly go back to how i like things on the phone. sorry if this is a stupid 101 question, but i've not seen any info on this on any of the root threads.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I would suggest getting appbrain that way you don't have to search out all your apps. There isn't a way to save settings and data until you get root, then titanium backup can save all those things for ya!

Downgrade.
2GB PNY card. (Formatted fat32 512kb blocks.)
Turn on phone without SD card in, turn airplane mode on and usb debug mode.
Start trying the alternate root method.

public:adb_in_recovery [RootWiki]

Make sure you also have the latest files from that page if you haven't downloaded new ones in a few weeks. They have changes some things. If you need anymore help I'm sure people are willing to through in some thoughts.

SirKeats

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Q!!! Ya... already have apps backed up. Was hoping there was a settings backup option. Damn. One more reason for root I guess!!

Thanks for the tip on redownloading. I have the older files I'm sure.

For the alternate root method listed there... you need to start on the triangle. What's the best way to get there... adb reboot recovery? Or should I be doing something else to get to the starting (triangle) point for the alternate method?

Thanks again!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well what I did was format my card. Turn off/on airplane mode, usb debug. Power off the phone. Insert my SD card that way the phone doesn't touch it yet. Unplug the usb cable.

1. Insert battery if you removed it.
2. Insert SD card.
3. Start up phone holding down volume down and power.
4. Start your adb shell loop.
5. Power down until recovery is selected and continue to hold power down and the power button.
6. Start counting 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand etc.
7. As soon as the white htc screen shows up you will see a black line go across the screen. As soon as you see it insert the USB cable.
8. Give the loop up to 20-30 seconds before retrying. You should see the "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory" error. If you don't pull the battery and start again.

Keep a close count on when you inserted it. From the time I hit power to select recovery in the menu to the time I inserted and it gave me root was 7-7.5 seconds. Open up your clock on your computer for visual tracking. Each phone is different some people have gotten it at 5 seconds some at 11 seconds. Just depends. Run through it at .5 second intervals.

Hopefully this helps you a bit.

SirKeats

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
okay... this is frustrating as hell because it's the exact same thing that happened to me last time!!

i work like crazy to get the "no such file or directory" error... i finally get it, run 1.bat, and for ALL of the files it reads "XXX KB/s <0 bytes in XXX.XXXs>"

what the heck am i doing wrong that i can't get these files to push to the phone!!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If it says "XXX KB/s <0 bytes in XXX.XXXs" the files did push. Continue on with your root, granted the X's will be numbers not x's. If the files didn't push it will give you a plain english error message.

SirKeats

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
sweet!

okay... next problem.

I'm up to the following command... everything went fine to this point. i enter

"ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"

and the following message appears (message isn't in the video)

"ln: /system/xbin/su: Permission denied"

what should i do?

trock70

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Rooted!!!

Well what I did was format my card. Turn off/on airplane mode, usb debug. Power off the phone. Insert my SD card that way the phone doesn't touch it yet. Unplug the usb cable.

2. Insert SD card.
5. Power down until recovery is selected and continue to hold power down and the power button.
7. As soon as the white htc screen shows up you will see a black line go across the screen. As soon as you see it insert the USB cable.
8. Give the loop up to 20-30 seconds before retrying. You should see the "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory" error. If you don't pull the battery and start again.

Keep a close count on when you inserted it. From the time I hit power to select recovery in the menu to the time I inserted and it gave me root was 7-7.5 seconds. Open up your clock on your computer for visual tracking. Each phone is different some people have gotten it at 5 seconds some at 11 seconds. Just depends. Run through it at .5 second intervals.

This is exactly what I did, been trying since 6 this morning. After reading this it worked like a charm!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
sweet!

okay... next problem.

I'm up to the following command... everything went fine to this point. i enter

"ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"

and the following message appears (message isn't in the video)

"ln: /system/xbin/su: Permission denied"

what should i do?

Before you do that you need to put yourself into super user. Follow this:

Code:
adb shell 
su
export PATH=$PATH:/system/bin
cat /sdcard/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
cat /sdcard/su > /system/bin/su
ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

That will set your root as persistent so that a reboot doesn't lose your root.

This is exactly what I did, been trying since 6 this morning. After reading this it worked like a charm!

Alright glad I helped someone! Welcome to the party.

wicked.lester

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying for a couple days now with no success. I'm even using the Kingston class 4 4GB SD card. My drivers and everything seem in order and I've got my timing down on the screen flicker.

I've seen some speak of downgrading. Would that be my next option?

SirKeats

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
okay... i'm rooted!!! yay!!! have super user and all that jazz.

problem. market isn't working anymore. any ideas on how to fix? says there's a server error. internet is working fine.

SirKeats

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
oh... also... can i install the update it keeps asking me to install now that i've finished rooting? i don't want to break root so i have to keep hitting ignore... but if it's okay, i'll go ahead and install.

JTEastwood

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
For those still trying to root, have you tried this video here? It seems alot easier then some of the other methods out there and it worked very quickly. It says ten minutes but about a half an hour it took me who never screwed with android rooting before....

If you have then ignore me. good luck.

Havent changed roms yet... thats for a braver day...

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The market not working i have no clue on as gaining root doesn't touch anything. Try a factory reset on it and see if that fixes it.

ezun

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

2. Insert SD card.

Wish I could thank you 1000 times!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech