Update from Verizon for Rooted phones..

starscream84

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, just been around the boards and didn't see anything here, theres an update Verizon has been pushing to the DINC, it contains and new kernal and IT DOES BREAK ROOT!! just wanted a put a heads up to everyone, from what I've read, it enables wifi n and also the 3g hotspot from Verizon for those who want to pay for it. So accept at your own risk. :)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Eh screw that....run a ROM and you won't get it ;) Well at least on some of them. Besides I've had 802.11n and wifi tethering before this "patch" came out. Stupid Verizon, go ROM cookers!

rockstar323

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Eh screw that....run a ROM and you won't get it ;) Well at least on some of them. Besides I've had 802.11n and wifi tethering before this "patch" came out. Stupid Verizon, go ROM cookers!

Unless the rom has OTA updates disabled you can still get the from Verizon.

Lexus One

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I just checked for OTA updates on my DInc and it doesn't show any. Could I have already gotten it? How can I tell? (Incidentally, I'm not rooted...I gave up trying)

mejdam

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I just checked for OTA updates on my DInc and it doesn't show any. Could I have already gotten it? How can I tell? (Incidentally, I'm not rooted...I gave up trying)

Settings - About Phone - Software Information

Check under Software Number
if it says 1.35.605.2 then you got the update

If you have 1.22.605.2 then you havent

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Heck NO! Don't give up the root. Wait until the devs get a patched version out for us people who have root. You aren't missing anything anyways, they are just giving features to the phone you can get anyways with root.

starscream84

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I was just gonna ask if anyone received the update yet, and if so, if they arnt rooted, accepted it and ask if there's anything else in there. Did everyone check out the new boot animation that came with it? =)

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Hi all, just been around the boards and didn't see anything here, theres an update Verizon has been pushing to the DINC, it contains and new kernal and IT DOES BREAK ROOT!! just wanted a put a heads up to everyone, from what I've read, it enables wifi n and also the 3g hotspot from Verizon for those who want to pay for it. So accept at your own risk. :)

Which board/thread did you see that confirms it breaks root? talk on XDA-Devs doesn't contain confirmation either way, and I haven't seen talk on the very few other android centric forums I visit..

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
No Root . . . yet, but I do plan on it. What I am hoping for is a nice custom ROM of Froyo from the Nexus One. That would be just fine for my DInc.

starscream84

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
This is where I found a little info....

new update???? - Android Forums

Post #6 is where I saw someone say it does break root, and post #9 is someone that confirms on their device, and over at XDA....

ROOT SAFE OTA update needed - xda-developers

I can't find where I saw the origional post, but someone took a screenshot of the new kernel number from the phone, its the same person that posted the new boot animation on youtube, and he said he did have root but after the update it was gone,and everything I keep hearing is don't take the update, just to be on the safe side.

I'm in the same boat as most people here, I worked way to long and too hard to lose root now. :)

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It will roll out over the network over a few days. If you ever plan on rooting your phone though I would hold off.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
This is where I found a little info....

new update???? - Android Forums

Post #6 is where I saw someone say it does break root, and post #9 is someone that confirms on their device, and over at XDA....

ROOT SAFE OTA update needed - xda-developers

I can't find where I saw the origional post, but someone took a screenshot of the new kernel number from the phone, its the same person that posted the new boot animation on youtube, and he said he did have root but after the update it was gone,and everything I keep hearing is don't take the update, just to be on the safe side.

I'm in the same boat as most people here, I worked way to long and too hard to lose root now. :)
Yeah, I'm working way to much to follow all this...

candlebawx posted the screen shot of the version, and the new boot animation... see -> Incredible OTA Update 1.65.605.2 - xda-developers but I most have missed Post #15 of that thread where he does apparently say he lost root. There is no follow up yet on if the root exploit still work or not after the update.

the Thread on Adroidforums that you linked.. najaboy posted that it breaks root, but I can't find any posts saying he actually got the update and installed it to confirm that (or links from him as to his source for saying that) and there are no other posts in that thread stating the effects of this update on root either.

So only 1 person so far confirming they got the update and it lost root in that XDA thread.

I haven't seen word on if you can re-root after the update using the existing process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781