ROM Manager - Backups

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I'm very new to ROM Manager and have a couple questions. I have my phone rooted and want to try out my 1st ROM, but not sure of several things.

#1 - I want to make sure I have the correct ROM Manager that everyone else is using. Is the one by ClockWorkMod the correct one?

#2 - When I run "backup current ROM", it asks for a name, I click OK, it reboots and goes to a screen with a ? mark (over a phone icon?), and then seems to do nothing, and boots back into the OS. What am I doing wrong?

FYI, when it reboots, I go in to "manage and restore backups" and nothing shows up, so I assume the backup failed.

#3 - I assume I need this backup to be successful, to be safe, before I should go further, correct?

omgbeav

May 6, 2010
www.beavsgraphics.com
Hey all, I'm very new to ROM Manager and have a couple questions. I have my phone rooted and want to try out my 1st ROM, but not sure of several things.

#1 - I want to make sure I have the correct ROM Manager that everyone else is using. Is the one by ClockWorkMod the correct one?

That's the one.
#2 - When I run "backup current ROM", it asks for a name, I click OK, it reboots and goes to a screen with a ? mark (over a phone icon?), and then seems to do nothing, and boots back into the OS. What am I doing wrong?

FYI, when it reboots, I go in to "manage and restore backups" and nothing shows up, so I assume the backup failed.

There's your issue. You should get a lot of text scrolling up the screen and a progress bar. Did you flash the clockworkmod recovery?

#3 - I assume I need this backup to be successful, to be safe, before I should go further, correct?

Indeed. There are stock ROMs available, but none of them will have everything you've customized.

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
There's your issue. You should get a lot of text scrolling up the screen and a progress bar. Did you flash the clockworkmod recovery?

Yeah, i clicked on that at the top and didn't get any errors.

Also, what does "flash the clockworkmod recovery" actually do?

Last edited:

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
Yeah, i clicked on that at the top and didn't get any errors.

Also, what does "flash the clockworkmod recovery" actually do?

sorry if i am newbing you here, but are you sure you rooted and installed unrevoked2? just flashing from the app does nothing in rom manger if you havent dont those two things.

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
oh, I'm a newbie to ROMS for sure, feel free to treat me as such :)

I am rooted, yes, using wireless tether, superuser, and setCPU. I'm not up on unrevoked at all though, would you mind filling me in on that part? I thought that was just a method to root.

sklemp

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
unrevoked is a reflash tool. use it to reflash the clockwork mod recovery file. once you do this, you'll be able to use Rom Manager to download and install roms of all kinds.

it's very simple to use

since you are already rooted i don't really need to say this but you must be rooted in order to flash with unrevoked.

i'm still learning this stuff as well.

here is a link to the article when it was first announced

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...10-here-finally-nand-unlock-reflash-tool.html

hope this helps

jmcsmith

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
unrevoked is a reflash tool. use it to reflash the clockwork mod recovery file. once you do this, you'll be able to use Rom Manager to download and install roms of all kinds.

it's very simple to use

since you are already rooted i don't really need to say this but you must be rooted in order to flash with unrevoked.

i'm still learning this stuff as well.

here is a link to the article when it was first announced

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...10-here-finally-nand-unlock-reflash-tool.html

hope this helps

I have yet to root and flash roms on my Incredible but from what im reading it is only the flashing of the recovery information that voids your warranty?

i know that rooting can be undone but is there a way to get the phone back to a warranty state after using unrevoked and loading custom roms?

im sorry if this is the wrong place for this question and i dont mean to jack this thread. on that note any links/walk-throughs would be awesome!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't worry to much about the warranty thing I just returned a rooted Moto Droid for a replacement and have done this in the past without any problems.

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
ok, unrevoked2 got me doing some more research and I got it all accomplished. i will post my process in case it helps another ROM newbie like me. first, i noticed the 2 at the end which I hadn't noticed before. unrevoked2 is the flash utility as the members above have stated. more info here: public:unrevoked2 [RootWiki]

#1) I downloaded the windows package from unrevoked2 recovery reflash tool, v2.1

#2) Opened and installed the package, and it puts a few files on the desktop.

#3) Opened up "hboot driver.htm" for instructions on how to load the driver in windows while the device is in the "HBOOT" menu (unrEVOked modified USB driver)

#4) After you have done that successfully, reboot Windows and load the same driver while the phone is fully booted up into the OS (unrEVOked modified USB driver) FYI, I let windows fully reboot, phone fully boot, then plugged it in and loaded the same drivers.

#5) Now your ready to run the reflash.exe (let it run it's course until you see Done!) phone will reboot a couple times

#6) When it's done your phone will boot to the ClockworkMod recovery mode. you can make selections (like reboot device into OS) using the volume up/down keys. you have to make the selection by pressing the optical button, NOT the power button. after you select the reboot option, it will boot into your OS fine.

#7) Open ROM Manager, click "flash ClockworkMod recovery", let it finish, confirm your device

#8) Click "backup current ROM" and you are off to the races! my backup took about 10 minutes to complete, then booted back into the OS.

I assume now I am ready to load custom ROMs now that I have a solid backup.

Last edited:

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes you are ready :) Have fun

Let me ask you more thing. What all is backed up now? apps, sms, mms, email, system settings, icon arrangement? I guess maybe the better question would be, what isn't backed up now?

When I flash with a new ROM, I can go right back to my last backup and grove right along after testing a ROM like nothing happened, correct? No issues to deal with after loading my backed up ROM?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It will not backup apps and app data like game scores etc. You need titanium backup for that and a rooted phone obviously. Clockworkmod only backs up the actual system ROM on the nand. In other words your system stuff but not your /data /apps directories. It doesn't save any SMS,MMS,Icon arrangements etc.

So make sure you backup your stock ROM and have at it!

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
hmm, so which is true? I do remember seeing it back up some apk files during the backup.

sklemp or qazme, which is correct? or maybe some of both?

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
so when you want to load a new ROM, you do two backups?

if you don't like the new ROM, you restore from two apps?

which order do you backup and restore?

jmcsmith

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
so when you want to load a new ROM, you do two backups?

if you don't like the new ROM, you restore from two apps?

which order do you backup and restore?

i think what i hear them saying is that unrevoked backs up the actual OS, so Android 2.1 with sense, if your using an incredible. Then Titanium backs up all of your personal data from apps and from the phone. Both of these i assume are stored on your SD card so they are not deleted when you load a new rom.

Once everything is set up you can load a new rom, say CM6, and then restore your titanium backup and all your apps and things will be set up correctly.

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Dang, another hurdle...

I installed titanium, and it failed because it didn't have busybox. I tried to install busybox and it failed saying "your device is not nand unlocked or we were unable to remount".

anyone seen this one before?

Last edited:

sklemp

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
You did the unrevoked2 tool right?

If you have already run the unrevoked tool then try this:

In Titanium click Problems? and click Yes, do it. It needs to install BusyBox. Titanium will install a stable version for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol