error: device not found

jmcsmith

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
ok, i decided to attempt to root my Incredible using the 10 min method found on youtube and these forums.
I can get everything to work until it attempts to find the device by running "adb shell". No matter what i do it cannot find the device so i cannot proceed.

I have heard that the SD card you are using matters but im hoping i dont have to go buy one for no reason. I am currently using an 8gb sandisk.

any thoughts or help would be awesome!

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
This process worked for me almost every time.

1. Load up the fastboot menu by holding down power and the optical trackpad.
2. Plug in the USB cable
3. Press power again to select fastboot.
4. Click the SD card out, highlight recovery, and then press power to select recovery.
5. As the first white HTC screen is loading, you will hear a "detach" sound if you are on a windows computer. Immediately click the SD card in at this time.
6. Try to get into shell.
7. If you did not get into recovery, reboot into the OS by holding down power and volume up and clicking power again. Do a battery pull and repeat steps 1-6.

jmcsmith

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
This process worked for me almost every time.

1. Load up the fastboot menu by holding down power and the optical trackpad.
2. Plug in the USB cable
3. Press power again to select fastboot.
4. Click the SD card out, highlight recovery, and then press power to select recovery.
5. As the first white HTC screen is loading, you will hear a "detach" sound if you are on a windows computer. Immediately click the SD card in at this time.
6. Try to get into shell.
7. If you did not get into recovery, reboot into the OS by holding down power and volume up and clicking power again. Do a battery pull and repeat steps 1-6.

alright, i have tried this method about 10 times now while looping "adb shell" in the background and for some reason it still cannot find the device. I even turned sound on so i knew exactly when to plug the card back in.
Some people are saying that they could only get it to work using a 2GB PNY card and others are saying the one that Verizon gave out with the phone works.

jmcsmith

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
ok i have now also attempted to use the advise mentioned in this post.

XDA

I still am unable to get the device to be found. has anyone seen mention of it not working when using an 8gb sandisk card?

jmcsmith

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Success!!!!

i have managed to get root!!!

using a combination of help from here and XDA i have gotten it! just tested wireless teather and its awesome!

Next step, custom ROMs.

sklemp

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Glad you got root. Sometimes it's just a matter of changing when you click the sd card back in. It took me a couple of tries. I'm using my 8gig card that I got with my original storm.

Welcome to the rooted world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos