New radio

cmcdowell26

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ok...im kind of a noob when it comes to android (i was a long time bb user)...i am for some reason really nervous about upgrading my radio. I am rooted and am running sky raider 2.5.2. i have searched and read and i get a little confused on some things.
1. how do i put something on the root of my sd card?
2. do i have to use unrevoked forever to upgrade my radio?
3. which radio should i use?

I think thats it for now...

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am by no means an expert, but I will try and help, lol.

1. Place the file directly on the SD card, and not in a folder.
2. IDK
3. IDK lol

Argent

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
1) just drag the file in to the SD card - don't put it in any sub-folder
2) in order to upgrade to 2.15 you need to have used Unrevoked Forever
3) depends on why you want to upgrade your radio....

dixonba

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted and rom'd. Running skyraider 2.5.2.

-Unrevoked forever. Just drop the zip on the root of your sd and install with clockwork.
public:forever [RootWiki]
-Flash the newest radio 2.15.00.07.28. Drop it on your sd and boot to hboot (power plus volume down). Need unrevoked forever for this radio!!! Dont forget that.
[Baseband Radio] 2.15.00.07.28 discussion - xda-developers

I'm running this setup and no problems. Call quality is better. Signal is better.

cmcdowell26

May 18, 2010
Visit site
cool thanks for the info...i will try tonight when i get home...i have been going back and forth about doing it for the last week now.
i want to upgrade my radio bc i am still on 1.0 and am running sky raider 2.5.2
do i need to revert back to stock rom to flash the radio or if i use unrevoked forvever is that not necessary

dixonba

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
unrevoked forever allows you to flash the radio without reverting back to stock. I would suggest the 2.15 radio as it seems to work really well with skyraider 2.5.2. I've noticed an improvement in call quality and signal. Not to mention higher resolution camcorder...

Just a word of caution, unrevoked/forever is permanent. No way (at this time) to s-on. Make sure you read the page carefully.

tatts34

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the skyraider 2.5.2 sense since they released it the first morning my radio is the 2.005.00.06.11 one unrevoked3 is all I used just remember when you rename the zip file just name it "Update" this will end a lot of frustration. I change my roms two to three times a day and try to use different boot animations yes it is pain reloading everything but when you can do it with one click then why not. by the way the video recording is 720p and is extremely nice.:p

cmcdowell26

May 18, 2010
Visit site
so if i dont use unrevoked forever i just put the file on my sd card and rename it update then boot in hboot? but that wont work for the newest radio right? sorry for all the questions im just a little nervous about doing the "forever" part. has anyone had any problems with forever so far? i have read numerous threads and posts but havent read of anyone having problems...just didnt know if i may have missed one.

tatts34

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have not used the forever part but if it is anything like the earlier versions then it should be fine. Like I said the radio I have is not the most up date but I have all the same things as the nexus 1 and even the Evo which is funny when I get the email for nexus 1 and Evo updates lol.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
[ROM]*07/27 Leaked OTA* Stock 2.2 with Sense [SOME BUGS!!] - xda-developers

How to flash the 2.x radio.

Rooted

1. Download PB31IMG.zip and place it in the root of you SDCARD. Make sure the FS is FAT32, otherwise PB13IMG.zip will not flash.
1a. Link has been updated so you no longer have to apply the VZW exchange OTA.
2. Now go to the bootloader.
2a. Run 'adb reboot oem-42' if powered up or hold Power + Volume Down if your phone is off.
3. It should automatically start loading PB31IMG.zip. Then accept it when it asks you to load it or not (pretty sure Vol Up).
4. You are now completely stock. You should remove PB31IMG from your SDCARD now.
5. Download dinc_ota.zip, rename it to update.zip and place it in the root of your SDCARD.
6. Now boot into recovery and apply the zip.
6a. adb reboot recovery if powered up or Power + Volume Down then select Recovery.
6b. Now hit Power + Volume Up to bring up the Recovery menu.
6c. Now select apply update.zip
7. Go to Settings > About phone > Software information > Baseband version and verify that it's 2.05.00.06.11.
8. Now download and run Unrevoked 3 to reroot and install ClockworkMod recovery.
9. Now you can go ahead and do a Full Wipe then install the Stock Froyo rom.

I used this...try at your own risk... its simple really just follow directions.

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Potential dumb question: Why update the "radio"? And what exactly does that do? Is this different than flashing a new ROM?

Sorry, still learning this stuff. :)

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Potential dumb question: Why update the "radio"? And what exactly does that do? Is this different than flashing a new ROM?

Sorry, still learning this stuff. :)

I'm wondering the same thing. I just rooted via unrevoked3 and I'm in the process of downloading SkyRaider 2.5.2 ROM on my SD card and then I'll install that. Should I go ahead and update the radio while I'm messing with all this now?

dixonba

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Easier with unrevoked forever. If you want the 2.15 radio its a must. There is a way to do the 2.00 radio without forever but I'm not familiar.

dixonba

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
@tatts...you swap roms multiple times a day? You just swapping with a android restore? Never actually done a restore so do apps come over too?

tatts34

May 27, 2010
Visit site
No not exactly for the market but the paid apps are easy to come by. I am happy with Skyraider 2.5.2 but I always want to see what everyone else is offering. Rom Manager is the best thing for me or anyone that can nit make up their mind. lol I did start using titanium back up today still learning that but it is quicker. Try some of those. The average swap time per rom is like 2 minutes not including finding all the apps, but with titanium it will be real quick.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
[ROM]*07/27 Leaked OTA* Stock 2.2 with Sense [SOME BUGS!!] - xda-developers

How to flash the 2.x radio.

Rooted

1. Download .zip and place it in the root of you SDCARD. Make sure the FS is FAT32, otherwise PB13IMG.zip will not flash.
1a. Link has been updated so you no longer have to apply the VZW exchange OTA.
2. Now go to the bootloader.
2a. Run 'adb reboot oem-42' if powered up or hold Power + Volume Down if your phone is off.
3. It should automatically start loading PB31IMG.zip. Then accept it when it asks you to load it or not (pretty sure Vol Up).
4. You are now completely stock. You should remove PB31IMG from your SDCARD now.
5. Download dinc_ota.zip, rename it to update.zip and place it in the root of your SDCARD.
6. Now boot into recovery and apply the zip.
6a. adb reboot recovery if powered up or Power + Volume Down then select Recovery.
6b. Now hit Power + Volume Up to bring up the Recovery menu.
6c. Now select apply update.zip
7. Go to Settings > About phone > Software information > Baseband version and verify that it's 2.05.00.06.11.
8. Now download and run Unrevoked 3 to reroot and install ClockworkMod recovery.
9. Now you can go ahead and do a Full Wipe then install the Stock Froyo rom.

I used this...try at your own risk... its simple really just follow directions.

I tried doing these steps to update the radio and I got as far as step 6a without issue but when I was going to hit the power button and the volume up button to bring up the Recovery menu, I accidently hit the power button alone and my phone rebooted and now all I have is a black screen with a red triangle with a phone in the middle of the screen.

What do I do now? It has been sitting like that for 3 or 4 minutes now and hsn't moved. Did I screw something up?