Hydra Kernels question - picking a kernel

st8fan19

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
How do you go about choosing the best kernel for your device, i have tried all 4 of the overclocked kernels (in order like they recommend) and when i go to text right after booting my screen always freezes for about 15-30 seconds. I figured that this was the "freezing" that they describe and to go on and try the next one.

Well I just flashed the 4th one "Overclocked Undervolted 1.113ghz 25mv Overvolt v1.0" and I still got this same issue.

Should I just go back to stock? try the stock undervolt or what should I do?

b1gg134

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
You are making it sound like as soon as the phone starts you are going to text. I usually let the phone sit a little after booting (a minute or two) before messing with it. I have also let it "settle" the minute or two and reboot it again.

I am running the first kernal no problem.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
How do you go about choosing the best kernel for your device, i have tried all 4 of the overclocked kernels (in order like they recommend) and when i go to text right after booting my screen always freezes for about 15-30 seconds. I figured that this was the "freezing" that they describe and to go on and try the next one.

Well I just flashed the 4th one "Overclocked Undervolted 1.113ghz 25mv Overvolt v1.0" and I still got this same issue.

No the "freezing they describe" is your phone locking up and not letting you use it until you reboot it.....sounds like you need to start all over and be more patient. You need to give your phone a few seconds after it has boot to mount all the storage, gain service, sync with Google and do whatever other things you have it doing. So slow down try it again. I don't think you have anyone that important to message that they can't wait a minute before you send them something.

st8fan19

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I guess I am questioning this because with the old kernel from htc i could do this with no problem. that's why im confused, because it wasn't working better than the original.

maybe I am too impatient though, but it just seems like it should work similar to the original.

ohboyscott

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Maybe this happening the first time you load it is acceptable. But anything after that is not. Your phone shouldn't be unusable 30 seconds after boot every time. Mine certainly isn't and I've used the hydra kernels too. The first boot of a new kernel there will probably be a bit of lag for a few minutes, i don't know why. But for me it always evens out after a little bit. Try using it for a bit longer. Unless it happens after every reboot. If it clears up then you're good.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Maybe this happening the first time you load it is acceptable. But anything after that is not. Your phone shouldn't be unusable 30 seconds after boot every time. Mine certainly isn't and I've used the hydra kernels too. The first boot of a new kernel there will probably be a bit of lag for a few minutes, i don't know why. But for me it always evens out after a little bit. Try using it for a bit longer. Unless it happens after every reboot. If it clears up then you're good.

It really depends on what you phone is having to load when it boots. For instance if I have system panel set to always load in the notification bar my phone takes about 5 seconds longer to load. Without it on there my phone is usable before it even loads my clock skin from the sd card.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site

Try the stock undervolt. #4 Did the best for me, but the SS undervolt was okay too.

FWIW, there appear to be so many variables between ROMs, radios, kernals, and installed apps that it is pretty much trial and error to see what's going to work for you.

What's nice about these forums and others is that people can post their results and help us all find out what works best.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Try the stock undervolt. #4 Did the best for me, but the SS undervolt was okay too.

FWIW, there appear to be so many variables between ROMs, radios, kernals, and installed apps that it is pretty much trial and error to see what's going to work for you.

What's nice about these forums and others is that people can post their results and help us all find out what works best.

Well if we are going to be throwing around what we believe works best, I'm going to have to say the KiNgxKernel #2 OC 1.113 undervolted kernel with setcpu, hav, governor etc runs the best. And gives you the best battery life of any kernel I've tested! Wonderful kernel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz