Wifi hotspot for root: Verizon's version or other?

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I've just successfully rooted and updated to FroYo (Thanks dev's!!). I would like to use wifi hotspot, but don't want to pay Verizon MORE money. :mad: I have the hotspot app on my phone, but I'm guessing that's the Verizon version. Is there a different one that I should use? I checked the market, and found a couple in there. What are people using?

Thanks,
Brian

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
lol

I got it installed, and tried to tether my laptop. Sorta worked, but it dropped the tether after a minute. I'll have to fiddle with it some more. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Uhh... I used the ROM from this thread: [ROM] Incredible Froyo 3.21.605.1 *Likely-to-be Official OTA* (100% stock, rooted) - xda-developers I'm assuming that has the kernel built into it. And it's supposed to be unmodified. So I guess that means I'm running stock FroYo kernel?

It seems to be working now. But I'm having problems with 3G going out sometimes though. Have to reboot for it to come back. I need to investigate this further.

You are fine. It probably dropped you because of a 3G drop out etc. Nothing to worry about. You can also use the DUN modification to use the 3G hotspot for free.

1. Dial ##778
2. Go into edit mode
3. The password is 000000
4. Once in go to M.IP Default Profile and edit DUN NAI from yournumber@dun.vzw3g.com to yournumber@vzw3g.com.
5. Then hit menu and press commit modifications.
6. It should then reboot.
7. Free 3g hotspot app

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
What exactly does that do? If it's still using Verizon's wifi app, I'd worry that they would sniff that out and start billing me.

It either works or it doesn't, I used it just to see if it works for awhile, never had anyone knocking on my door. If it's going through their pay stuff it brings up a Verizon website. How or why or anything else I don't know. I use pdanet through bluetooth. So I dunno. A lot of people's wireless stuff doesn't work with anything anyways because they can't connect to ad hoc networks.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
So is it a permanent change then? Or do you have to do this each time you want to use wifi hotspot?

Permanent. If the settings ever change as soon as you try to go online with it you get taken to a Verizon page telling you to add this option to your account.

aslinc

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Big thanks for the info...working like like a charm..

2.2 version
2.15.00.07.28 baseband
2.6.32.15-gb7b01d1 kernal
3.21.605.1 CL231334 release-keys

Todd M

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You are fine. It probably dropped you because of a 3G drop out etc. Nothing to worry about. You can also use the DUN modification to use the 3G hotspot for free.

1. Dial ##778
2. Go into edit mode
3. The password is 000000
4. Once in go to M.IP Default Profile and edit DUN NAI from yournumber@dun.vzw3g.com to yournumber@vzw3g.com.
5. Then hit menu and press commit modifications.
6. It should then reboot.
7. Free 3g hotspot app

Qazme, is this for root only or can stock do this as well? I am stock, and was able to see/modify the settings listed above, but am not able to connect a wi-fi as I will have to wait until I get home. I ran it and it stated it was up and running, but never gave me a page from VZW stating I needed the service, at least not from the phone. So I am guessing this is a hack versus a root-only trick, but since I can't test it in the here and now, I figured I'd ask! It at least appears like it's working...

EDIT: It appears to be working with an iPad, so it's a go. Thx!

Last edited:

aslinc

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
My dinc is not rooted..I followed the direction above and it works perfectly. All my wireless computers see the HTC Network. Just assign a WEP and and whala. I guess rooted or non-rooted works. Has been fine since this past Thursday. Good luck!

Scott

daryn2k

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Does this work for the Incredible 2 as well?

Edit* Sorry I am referring to the DUN modification. Do I need to go and turn on the 3gHotSpot after the dun modification?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non