1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,294 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Need To Remove Skype

I want to remove the stock Skype application. Does anyone know the application name in the OS, so that I can remove through recovery?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

If you have root explorer from the market you can open it then go to systems>apps then mount r/w then just find the apk and long press to delete. This is much easier then doing it in recovery and I would give the name but I don't use it.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,294 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Worked great. Thanks. for anyone else, it is VZW_Skype.apk

I just tried to delete it and it said "error trying to delete" any suggestions ?

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by bigredhoss View Post
    I just tried to delete it and it said "error trying to delete" any suggestions ?
    You don't have the /system/app directory mounted correctly as rw, only r. If you are following the method posted above you will have a "mount r/w" button on the top of the app. Click it and try again. If you are doing it through adb you will need to issue a "mount -o remount, rw -t yaff22 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system" command. And then you will be able to remove it.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Default Totally Lost!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    You don't have the /system/app directory mounted correctly as rw, only r. If you are following the method posted above you will have a "mount r/w" button on the top of the app. Click it and try again. If you are doing it through adb you will need to issue a "mount -o remount, rw -t yaff22 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system" command. And then you will be able to remove it.
    I installed root explorer, but i see NO button that gives me the ability to change it r/w. I have rebooted. How exactly do you "mount" the phone. I am using the Incredible v2.2
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Just hit the Mount R/W button on the top

I just used Titanium, and under the restore button, I found the skype app and clicked uninstall. Much easier.
    Thanked by:
    brukec 

Default Re: Need To Remove Skype

I have same problem as "The Only Natty B" post of 11/03/10
    Droid Razr:
    Have installed Root Explorer, opens as mounted on r/o, click Sys opens as mounted on r/w, but there isn't any App icon to click on - have clicked Parent Folder, but that returns you to mounted r/o ??
    Help please.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Chuck, If you look next to where is says "Mounted as r/o" there is a button that say's "Mount R/W"

That's the button to change from read only to read write.

You do have to have root privileges to change to R/W in all directories.

Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Thanks for the rapid responce.
    Unfortunently, the Mount R/W button does not appear on my system.
    Razr version 6.12.181.XT912
    Android 2.3.6

I just downloaded Uninstall Master, when run, choose skype on checkbox, click uninstall... DONE :-) EASY.

Unfortunately I cannot even see Skype after it was downloaded from play google and cannot locate it on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Maybe someone out therre knows what my problem is