I have read the forums about rooting....

BBKik

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
and I am nowhere near being a power user, but would like to root just for wifi hotspot, and to delete all the VZW crap and to be able to get decent battery life.

That is it, but I also am afraid that I will either brick my phone in the process, or that I will screw something up afterward. When my phone is rooted and in its normal use state can I blindly key something in, is the possibility there to enter something that disable my phone. I have been reading some of the threads and am trying to grasp the idea but am still confused, I don't mind reading but have had trouble finding links with info that dumb it down enough, I just want to be able to use my phone, without all the apps that are useless to me.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Rooting your phone won't necessarily increase battery life, but there are some things you can do to potentially help (like stop programs from running automatically). Your other reasons for rooting are quite valid though, and were part of the reasons why i did it.

If I were you, I'd wait until Unrevoked 3.2 comes out and can root Android 2.2 painlessly. That would be the easiest way, with the least amount of steps. Follow the instructions there, and the chances that you'll brick will be pretty slim. There is a chance that you can brick the phone doing something silly, so you just have to read and reread the instructions, understand what you're doing, and go for it. Hell, even if you follow instructions, things can happen outside of your control and still brick. That's the risk you take. If you're willing to accept the risk (and potentially have to buy a new phone), then go for it!

Most steps that you do in root that could potentially brick your phone, they typically ask you if you're sure you want to do it. If you're not sure, don't do it and ask someone for advice :)

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Previous poster made it sound too scary, while there is risk, there are many threads to follow and youtube videos to guide you through the process. Just do plenty of reading and get comfortable before you do something, one step at a time. I am rooted, have the wifi tether, and have used sdk to remove verizon bloatware. I couldn't be happier with my phone now. Good luck and let me know if you have questions.

galactor

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
What is the easiest rooting method, sorry I am very new to this.
Like Fahrenheit said, the easiest method would be unrevoked 3.2 since it is a "1-click" install. They did a release yesterday but had to pull it out of the website because of bugs from with 2 EVO users. Keep looking at the link below for their updates. And like the other posters recommended...read the instructions at least twice.

[ROOT] unrEVOked 3.2: one-click root for Froyo, no downgrading - xda-developers

dallen13

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Like Fahrenheit said, the easiest method would be unrevoked 3.2 since it is a "1-click" install.

So, is there a difference between unrevoked and regular rooting? I read something about having to click an icon each time you wanted to use it or something?

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
unrevoked -gives you the capability of achieving "root"/"superuser" authority on your phone.

"root" is having super user authority.

BBKik

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok I am still searching for a posting on the battery fix in froyo/rooted someone posted last week but it had an explanation of a process that would improve battery life for rooted users.

As soon as they re-release unrevoked 3 I think I am going to take the chance, if I brick it I can always just break the phone and get an insurance replacement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante