1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Default Rooted with questions about S-off/S-0n...

I am rooted and find I really don't need to be. However, I am in no hurry to change it as I haven't really changed anything. I am thinking about the incdoes rom when he gets the camera working but I don't even know if I am going to do that. Anyway, my question is; do i need to unroot and turn s-on to recieve future updates for froyo and sense or can i just update at that time and it will unroot me and turn s-on? Or; do i need to just turn s-on and update at a future time to uroot? I have searched for ways to unroot and have found them but i don't really want to go through the process if I don't have to. In addition, I am really in no hurry as I have no issues and haven't changed anything on my phone. Oh, I am on a Droid Incredible with official 2.2 Froyo and rooted and s-off with unrevoked 3 3.21. Thanks.

If you're running the official HTC/Verizon ROM, then you will receive OTA updates, rooted or not, unless you've specifically disabled them. These can (and likely will) break your root access, however if you have s-off (unrevoked forever) you can get root access back very easily. Without s-off, you'd be stuck waiting for someone to figure out how to root whatever update gets pushed out.
    32GB Nexus 5 32GB Nexus 7
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Thank you very much for the explanation. That is exactly what I needed to hear. I will just leave it the way it is and update as they get here. Thanks.

that's the direction I'm leaning also