I just rooted... so now what

streamfishing

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I just used unrevoked3.2 or whatever to root my Dinc, now what do i do? If i want to flash custom ROM's or do nandroid back ups or whatever. I've searched around but havent found anything that helps me out yet. My apps and contacts are already all backed up, so what do i need to do now to slim down and speed up/dress my new rooted phone with?!! HELP!

sonar_chris

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
First thing first, boot into recovery and make a back up of your stock rom. Then you can flash a custom kernel (kingXklick #5 is a good one) and maybe a custom rom. But always back up before you change things.

Setcpu is good thing to have as well.

streamfishing

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Thats the thing, when you say flash what exactly does that mean? Could i do it straight from my phone or do i need to use somethigng like drop box or astro to get the files to my phone or load them onto my sd card?

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
You can also download Rom Manager and download and install a rom from there. Make sure you backup and wipe (you'll see what I mean). I would suggest you start with Uncommon Sense, but that's just my opinion.

streamfishing

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Okay, 1 last question. When flashing a kernel, how exactly do i go about doing that. How do i get it to my SD card? Can i hook my phone up to my computer and use the set the USB to disk drive and zip it that way? And then whats the process after that, i've searched but couldnt find out the exact thing. I know i need to wipe cache then the other wipe but what after that.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
you can hit the download link (like the one in my sig, for example) from your phone... then install it just like you would a ROM with ROM Manager. It will be in the Downloads folder. Backup and wipe.

Reactions: streamfishing

sonar_chris

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I personally do all my flashes via Clockworkmod. I started out doing them in Rom Manager, but for some reason I was getting a lot of things forcing closed when I loaded Roms this way. I'm not saying this to try to scare you, it was just my experience and with that being said, more people have had good luck than bad with Rom Manager. When you want to flash something you can either download it strait to your phone or you can use your computer. I prefer the computer. Then place the .zip file on the root of your SD card. Since I do everything via Clockworkmod, I then boot into recovery, and then do a back up. I then scroll down to install zip from SD card, find the zip file I want to flash (another word for install) and let the phone do its thing. Remember, as long as you can boot into recovery, you can fix almost everything.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
sonar,

I agree with everything you said. I personally have had great luck with ROM Manager. I also found it to be a great tool to understand what is going on with my phone when I flash. (I learn better by doing it a few times) I thought of it as a "training wheel" so to speak. Once I got more confidence, I started going the route you suggest. But for the Noobs, I would suggest using ROM Manager for a while until you get the hang of it, too. Once you understand the where and the why and what exactly recovery is, then go for it manually.

streamfishing

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I was able to use ROMmanager and downloaded Uncommonsense and then the hyrda kernel #1 overclocked undervolted 1.15ghz. My question is my quadrant benchmark test is putting me right at 1285 on wifi and around 1050 on 3G. What are some other things i can flash over to speed up the phone/boost performance.

My kernel is 2.6.32 Hydra-ocuv-v10 and ROM is uncommonsense.

Thanks for the help!

My linpack is 37

Last edited:

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Give the kernel a day or two to settle in. Sounds crazy, but I tried that kernel and a day later it started to get real choppy and the phone was a pain to use. Others have had great success with it. I ended up having the best luck with #4, but my friend tried it and his phone went sideways. Who knows why.

Once it settles down, run the tests again and see what happens, and if you think you can squeeze more out of it, look for an app called set cpu.

streamfishing

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I flashed the redemptionROM "full rom" 2.0.5 and it keeps freezing, i used ROM manager and it freezes after i slide down the lock bar. sometimes it will load up, but as soon as a i click on an app it freezes. Need help because when i hboot into recovery and go to backup&restore its not finding my last backed up ROM, and idk why because i restored it earlier after trying out another rOM. HELP!

It works fine if i don't have my sd card in but then i can't reload my uncommon sense back on. Also, when i go into hboot (w/ sd card in) then into clockwork mod recovery and go into backup and restore and click restore it says it cant find files. HELP

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante